The New Guy - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 06-15-2016, 02:33 AM   #1
VPskinz
RCC Noob

I am: jared

Total Props: 0
The New Guy

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well I think I'm ready to commit. I've had this interest for years but never got my feet wet. I want to start a real focused hobby that I can take time to learn step by step and build something I can be proud of and enjoy doing. Been doing some research on where to start via YouTube etc. But maybe a trainer could help. I'm in the red deer Alberta area. Msg me clubs or info if anyone is willing to give a friendly helping hand.
VPskinz is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:26 PM   #2
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336
Re: The New Guy

Hi Jared, welcome to RCC!

So you are interested in building something nice? I like you already! Half the fun of this hobby for me is creating something with my own hands.

I happen to know where Red Deer is - grew up there and still have the odd contact there in the hobby. Where do your interests lie? Sport, scale, gliders? There are lots of options out there.

It sounds like you have not purchased your first one yet, a word of advice - don't marry that first one as the "best before" date may come up a bit quick! There are a few reasonably priced "first trainers" out there new and some good buys in used planes if you can get a bit of experienced guidance in choosing. Save your best building efforts for that second or third plane and learn on an ugly beater if you can.

Find a club to join or at the least a good experienced mentor. I can hook you up with someone from the CARFF club if you like just PM me your phone number.

Good luck. Merv
Old 06-17-2016, 06:53 AM   #3
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101

Welcome, as well from another builder.

You may need to narrow down your preference a bit. That way someone with more experience in that particular aspect can help with any specific questions you may have. You will find lots willing to help. We all started where you are so this is a way to give back to the hobby.

I would also agree with Merv. You should not expect your first build to be museum quality. In fact, the emphasis should be on rock solid reliability and ease of use, with tons of forgiveness thrown in to help get you out of trouble. You also have the benefit of PC-based simulators so those first inevitable mistakes from learning or pushing yourself a bit, (that helps learning, as well) avoid a lot of what we had to endure.

Once you decide on what you want to build you can start a thread. The number of eyes and suggestions will be incredibly helpful.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:30 PM   #4
VPskinz
RCC Noob

I am: jared

Thanks guys great advice, where I am at right now is just trying to teach my self pitch and yaw with quad cheap quad copters, just to help with my reaction time and counter wind etc. As per my direction I want to go, well I want to keep that wide open, gliders, fixed high medium and low wing, and heli's, I'm really interested in scratch building to! Once i grasp all the knowledge (and I don't want to get ahead of myself) I'd like to eventually move to fuel fast model stuff. I'm a beginner and I know where i belong, and definitely will buy a 3 or 4 channel high wing foam starter. Haven't bought a transmitter yet I'm kinda going off of rtf, but that's cuz I'm just experimenting with stupid drones. Horizon hobby has good cheap drones to start u found and I've been watching their beginner staged lessons on YouTube. From what I gather it can be an expensive hobby but I like to fix my mistakes aswell because that's how i will learn. Starting cheap!

Cheers !
Jared.
VPskinz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:57 PM   #5
PrairieRc
RCC Noob

I am: Gil. A
Radio of choice:
Dx6
# of RCs: 8

Word of advice, don't give up. Once you understand how to fly, it's really worth it. I've been flying for only 2 years and I love more than ever.
PrairieRc is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in