General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 06-19-2016, 01:21 PM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: tommy c
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 29+

Total Props: 4
JR servo's

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Bought a plane, Ugly Stick .60 with JR NES 507 servos installed. Looked them up and all I found was specs for 4.8V, does this mean do not use 6v as a burn out can happen? It is powered with a Saito 1.00 . I can switch over to Hitec as I like the 6V over 4.8V.(personal choice) and the 507's seem a little lite in torque to me.
tommy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:36 PM   #2
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30
Re: JR servo's

Been a while since I had any in my hand, or open on the table.

IMO, those would likely be comparable to the Futaba S-148 for their holding power and speed. Even if you tried and got away with 6V their specs would fall short of more modern units.

Also, if typical of the genre they will be bushing type so the harder you work them the more they will drag unless taken apart and lubed, (on older servos I found that a good idea anyway). In some cases if available I replaced them with bearings. Seems there was one standard used throughout different manufacturers so able to interchange.

In the end, when I got an airframe with this old a servo would take the view no idea of the history or usage so not worth risking an airframe with them in a critical position. There is the option of continuing to run rudder and/or throttle but that's as far as I would go.

Back when I started over 3 decades ago would have accepted a servo like this and been grateful. Nothing essentially wrong with their design, just with the price point of current units there are so many other options.

On that note, with a craft running that old a servo it would be a good idea to check the rest of the system. If the flight battery had been connected for years of storage and use there are some problems that can develop, (Black Wire Disease) as well. Each conductor, connector and switch set on the ground side of the battery can corrode.

Also, modern servos can provide better speed and torque, but require an even more reliable power supply.
I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:21 PM   #3
RCC Contributor
I am: Bill G

Total Props: 0

Ugly stick 60 with 507's on 6.6 volts is fine. 507's were single ball bearing sport servos.
If they center and are smooth don't hesitate to use them.
Bill Green 18250
Sun Parlor RC Flyers
BillGreen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:21 PM   #4
RCC Contributor
I am: Jeremy J

Total Props: 5

I think the ball bearing ones were actually 517, the 507 was bushed, but they should be fine on 6V. I've run tons of them (507/517) in the past on 6V and never had an issue. They are bullet proof servos.
aquila is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:39 PM   #5
RCC Contributor
I am: tommy c
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 29+

Total Props: 4

Thanks for the come back fellows, I was thinking changing all except the throttle but have changed my mind. I will do a servo test on all. Then the actual test will be in the fly zone some day! Thanx big time.
tommy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:44 PM   #6
RCC Apprentice
I am: MarkL
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 0

I had a few of these. I did the EMS Ball bearing exchange. Worked fine for sport planes.
mark_london is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.