DonRhone
RCC Apprentice

I am: Don H
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DXS6i
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0
New Plane to Review P-51

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I was lucky enough to have been chosen to review a new plane just released by Eleven Hobby, a P51 with a 1100mm wingspan.

The bad news is of course the Canada Post strike/lockout looming.

Wonder how long before I see the package?

The Eleven Hobby has recently released a T-28 in the same size and the first reviews are quite good. It certainly seems a decent plane for the price.
DonRhone is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:15 AM   #2
oscarmok
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Oscar M

Total Props: 1
Re: New Plane to Review P-51

Thanks Don. Rumour said the Eleven Hobby T-28 and the P-51 are actually the redo of DuraFly model? The only difference is they move the servo location. And the old DuraFly model was from FMS/Airfield until recently, HK move to another vendor?

When you review the Eleven Hobby P51, see if you can still find the old DuraFly P-51 and do a comparison.
oscarmok is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:54 PM   #3
DonRhone
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spectrum DXS6i

Oscarmok

FMS did make some of the Durafly warbirds mainly for HK, that was a couple of years ago when they parted company.
When I heard that news I contacted FMS directly to inquire if FMS would then be marketing a 1100 series of planes. FMS advised me that the molds used to build the planes were the property of HK and had been returned.
There was news that HK had bought their own factory and would be making some of the planes they sell. HK is also a distributor and if you review their stock you will see a number of other planes rebranded for HK.
I do have access to a Durafly P-51 and will of course be comparing the P51 Eleven Hobby to it.
I agree that there sure is a lot of resemblance to the Durafly models, the T-28 and the P-51
Old 07-11-2016, 11:43 AM   #4
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 152

This should make for an interesting review.

I hope you get the package soon

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:57 PM   #5
DonRhone
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spectrum DXS6i

Re: New Plane to Review P-51 - Plane Delivered

Well the plane was delivered today and I am very pleased with the overall quality and finish of the plane.

The finish on the foam is very smooth and the paint is evenly applied with no streaks or runs.

The outer box did receive some minor scrapes but the inner foam box kept all componenets safe and there is no damage from any parts rubbing together.

The servo units are all screw mounted, no glue used. That sure will make any servo replacements easy to do.

As I mentioned I will have a comparison between a Durafly P-51 and this plane. A number of people are betting that this plane may well be one of the old HK Durafly warbirds rebranded. My first impressions are that it is not but will show some comparison photos later in the week when I get access to the Durafly model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	922.5 KB
ID:	1001753   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	941.7 KB
ID:	1001761   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	1001769   Click image for larger version

Name:	009.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	1001777  

Old 07-13-2016, 02:04 AM   #6
DonRhone
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spectrum DXS6i

Re: Eleven Hobby P-51 Comparison to Durafly P51

When the Eleven Hobby planes were first announced and a number of people in this forum had thought that the new plane was a rehash of the Durafly P-51.
The Durafly planes are the same size as the Eleven hobby planes, 1100mm wingspan and a lot of flyers quite like them. Both planes use the 3 cell 2200 battery as well.
The Durafly planes also most likely the cheapest priced of all of the foamies in this size range.
Well as luck would have it, I borrowed a Durafly P-51 rc plane from one of the local flyers. He lent me his spare/backup.
This plane is the same size as the Eleven Hobby P-51 and there has been a lot of speculation that the new Eleven Hobby P-51 is in actuality made from the old Durafly mould.
After comparsion of the two planes the answer is no, two different planes.
The Durafly Old Crow is finished with the green fuselage and the Eleven Hobby is the burshed aluminum finish. Both planes use plastic plates to help secure the wings to the fuselage, the Durafly plates are black plastic and are found in the parts kit along with the two manifolds that also need to be glued on. The Eleven Hobby P-51 has the manifolds already glued in place as well as the plastic plates to help secure the wings to the fuselage, and they are painted to match the plane.
The Durafly plane needs to have the control rods and retainers installed, where the Eleven Hobby plane with the exception of the elevator control rod all are installed when you receive the plane.
There is no doubt that the finish of the foam and paint on the Eleven Hobby plane is better than the finish of the Durafly
The size and features of the flight canopies are different and the Eleven Hobby P-51 has a slightly longer cavity for your receivers, gyros, esc and battery.
The Durafly has slightly smaller tires, 2 and the Eleven Hobby has 2 tires, the landing gear on the Durafly is about shorter struts than the Eleven Hobby P-51 The tires of the Durafly are foam with a rubber skin over, no tread, the Eleven Hobby plane is finished with a rubber coating and treads.
The tail assembly, especially the elevators are very different, the Eleven Hobby P-51 is held in place with two screws and there is a plastic retainer which really holds the two pieces of the elevator in place and there is a reinforcing rod as well as a plastic rod which holds the two elevator surfaces so that they will be even with each other.
The Durafly tail section has no screws or reinforcement rods and the two pieces of the elevator are glued together. However, the left and right elevator surfaces each have their own control rod which is activated by a single servo.
Note that the Durafly P-51 does have a separate plastic cowl, the Eleven Hobby version cowl is molded onto the main fuselage so it is not a replaceable item should your cowl become severely damaged.
The props on the planes are also different, the Durafly uses a FMS 10 x 8, which is about larger than the Eleven Hobby prop.
The spinners on the two planes are very similar and I think could be swapped. The Durafly spinner is a tad longer but the Eleven Hobby spinner has air holes to cool the motor and esc unit during flight.
While the base plates and cones are not interchangeable themselves I think you could swap between the two planes should you be looking for replacements.
The Durafly plane does have marker lights, the Eleven Hobby does not. My self I have no preference most planes with lights I have seen if flown during the day the lights are hard to see.
While I have not flown either plane, just from the unboxing I would opt for the Eleven Hobby version over the Durafly.
I like the slightly thicker wings of the Eleven Hobby and as I mentioned the finish on the Eleven Hobby foam is smoother and the quality of paint is also better than the Durafly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	1,006.4 KB
ID:	1002649   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	850.2 KB
ID:	1002657   Click image for larger version

Name:	011.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	890.6 KB
ID:	1002665   Click image for larger version

Name:	022.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	987.4 KB
ID:	1002673  

Name:	013.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	346.2 KB
ID:	1002681   Click image for larger version

Name:	018.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	593.8 KB
ID:	1002689   Click image for larger version

Name:	021.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	644.4 KB
ID:	1002697   Click image for larger version

Name:	023.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	706.7 KB
ID:	1002705  

Old 07-14-2016, 10:03 PM   #7
oscarmok
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Oscar M

Total Props: 1

Thank you Don for the extensive write up. I look forward for the flight review. The FMS/Eleven Hobby P-51 looks pretty good.
oscarmok is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:38 AM   #8
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 152

This is the kind of review I appreciate, with good side-by-side comparisons using photos.

The newer model looks like it has some improved features. Nice.

So now the real question is...: How does it fly?

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.