When is big-to big - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 11-12-2004, 08:52 AM   #21
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
personally those look like a decent size set of plans to me but it is mostly about what you can fit into the car, truck, trailer.....etc. that would definitely be one impressive winter project to take on....:tu:

Good Luck!

Speed is Life. Altitude is Life Insurance!!

Andrew Armstrong
MAAC # 70379

Funtana S .40
Great Planes Spitfire 40
Top Flite Gold P-47
wingman2003 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:43 PM   #22
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Re: Hooo hummmmm

Originally Posted by TLyttle
I have always thought that if a model takes as much time, cash, and effort to build than a full-size aircraft (including Ultralight), then it has passed by the normal definition of a model. I have far more respect for a guy that can build and fly a Pistachio scale (8" span) rubber model than some guy that dumps tons of cash into some behemoth that would knock a locomotive off its tracks if "control was lost".
By who's standard? I know some people who think I'm foolish for spending $3 or 400.00 on a model plane that can be flying one minute and possibley crash the next....a waste of time and money! IS IT?

If a person loves the hobby and has the time and money (and remember, it is his money ) and it gives him a sense of accomplishment and is a big part of the joy in his/her life, then why the hell not!

If you personally think its foolish then thats your choice, don't do it. But why come on this forem and say you have little respect for someone who is perhaps fulfilling his dream to build a big beautiful model and then the joy of his life taking it out to the field and flying it, because he dumped huge sums of money on it?? And so what if it costs what you could build a full size ultralight for? Don't tell me you haven't spent money on this hobby that you might have been able to buy many other things for. Again that your choice and your business alone.

Sorry but your comment really urked me. Whether its a huge hulking model or a .40 sized sport sunday flyer....... IF it loses control it could hurt someone. Thats IF!!! If you doze off in your car and crash into another car it could kill someone.......etc etc etc etc etc.

I think these kind of comments and opinions are better kept to themselves. Let each of us enjoy this hobby in our own way!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:42 PM   #23
Terry Gauvin
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Terry J
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1
Well said Gary, exactly what I wanted to say but couldn't tone it down enough.
DX18 Stealth, H9 Inversa 33, H9 33% Edge, H9 33% Decathlon.
Terry Gauvin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:34 PM   #24
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Darren G
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 8
Oooppps didn't mean to " Open a can of Poo Poo " I've built many small models, the last model I built was a 36" WS turbo beav on floats with a .15... I just thought I would build a big one this year....
And money is proportional in any thing you do.... The guy that says $200.00 is way to much to spend on a model, will then go out and buy a $70 000 motor home or whatever without batting an eye.....
If it makes you happy ( and 1/6 will make me happy ) and you get satisfaction from it, then by all means do it....

Plus Terrys a good guy ( an old fart mind you ) but a good guy...
I remember him from his days here in Victoria.... Always coming into Royal Oak hobbies and Yapping about something .....
Darren loves Floatplanes and dirt bikes
cf-drg is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:59 PM   #25
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Terry L

Total Props: 6
Old fart??? Yup...

Gee, everyone else is stating their opinions in these threads, I think I have the same right even if it doesn't follow the main direction of opinion.

Having fought (yapped?) about the FACT that large models destroyed a number of flying sites in the area (Victoria in particular) forms the opinion in my mind that some of the modelling activities have more to do with ego than accomplishment. If you have the money AND the proper facilities available to you, sure, go for it: in the boating community is is called' "one-foot-itis", in motor homes it is "Mine is Bigger Than Yours". I, PERSONALLY, think that flaunting crap like that is a pure waste of money, earned or not. I see a lot of these guys with debts bigger than some 3rd-world countries, and I envy them not a bit.

I have always had a peanut kit in my possession, simply to deflate these egos: "Here, build this, get 45sec out of it, and I will then believe in your modelling skills". Seldom any takers...

Go for it, guys, ya don't hurt a bit; so far I AM allowed to have an opinion.
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:03 AM   #26
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: kevin w

What is the largest model you have built and flown?
IMAA 27023
IMAC 3710
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:25 AM   #27
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Bigger most always = more cash

My philosophy is never fly something worth more money than you can easily replace.

This way I fly the hell out of my models (some have close to 2000 flights in two years) and if they crash I dont care, because I know I can go out tomorrow and buy another to replace it

Its like gambling....dont put more on the table than you can afford to lose
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:21 AM   #28
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
I really like big models --- however, somewhere out there is a practical limit because these things always crash. At present we enjoy substantial freedom to build & play with our toys, but really big is also potentially really dangerous, so more practical questions might be "How big will the regulators let us go?" or "how big is so big that it attracts unwanted attention from regulators?", or more importantly, "How big is too big to be safe?"

I don't know the answers to any of those questions. Risk also changes with technology in addition to size -- it would have been absolutely foolhardy to build a giant model controlled by the old AM radios, & using non-proportional escapement control technology. At the same time, the big beautifull high-tech B-52 that crashed this summer weighed in excess of 300 lbs & carried a lot of fuel -- it burned for quite a while after an extremely violent crash.

I worry that someone other than ourselves might end up deciding for us.
Never take life seriously -- nobody gets out alive
britbrat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:36 AM   #29
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Lee P

Total Props: 9
Bigger planes

Ok. So we start on the "bigger is more dangerous" garbage again Most of the people who fly big gas planes have a lot of experience under their belts and go to great lengths to make their planes redundantly redundant not just for safety but to ensure it goes back in the van in one piece How many people have been killed worldwide in the last 5 years by large rc planes? Now ask the same question about ATVs or snow machines
The point is we take extra precautions with larger planes (at least everywhere I've been) So go ahead and build whatever you want, but take the time to make it as safe as you can, and respect the rules that were made for everyone's safety.

BTW Planes the size of the B52 need special permission to fly and are an extreme rarity in this country.
LEE is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:37 AM   #30
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: kevin w

Maximum model size is controlled by the National associtations(MAAC and AMA) in the US and Canada both of whom liase regularly with their federal governments on the subject.
Control in Europe is even more strict and involves inspectors.

The big plane big risk assumption doesnt hold up under scrutiny.
The main factors involved in a rather clean safety record for the big ones is that they represent a very small proportion of all models being flown.
Too,by the time an individual feels compelled to build a big model he usually has developed the building and flying and maintainance skills to allow him to do so safely and the higher cost is a factor too.
It is not surprising therefore that the last five fatalities in the world and the one serious accident in Canada,all involved .40 and .60 trainer type models or helicopters.
I find large models much easier to fly than small ones and they are much more realistic in the air and at this time I am almost totally switched over to large designs.
I have done my share of flying from .049 up and may do so again...........Im almost surely going to fly a glider next summer for example......
IMAA 27023
IMAC 3710
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.