Rickity
RCC Apprentice

I am: Rick T
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 16

Total Props: 4
Let's talk li-po battries.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
How low can I run my Li-Po batteries when I am flying my plane? And can I charge them when I get home for flying next week or should I charge them the day/night before flying?
Rickity is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:33 PM   #2
twistedge
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Ed
Radio of choice:
DX8
# of RCs: ˝

Total Props: 8
Re: Let's talk li-po battries.

You'll get a number of answers... but here's what works for me.

I rarely run my lipos below 3.6V per cell under load... I prefer to play it safe and have them settle at around 3.8V per cell once they've rested after a flight (ready for storage). Lipo alarms or telemetry can help with this in flight.

I think the hardest thing you can do is routinely run lipos down too low... which is usually the case if you're hitting low voltage cutoff (LVC) and limping home.

I have no issue charging my lipos the night before and I'll leave them fully charged for up to a week if I don't use them.. past that, I'll take them back down to storage mode.
twistedge is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:57 PM   #3
Daren71
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Daren M.
Radio of choice:
DX8

Total Props: 9

Lots of good reading on this website.

http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos

Old 07-09-2016, 06:20 PM   #4
zverymuch
RCC Apprentice

I am: Jason
# of RCs: 17

Total Props: 0

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...tore_batteries

Here is some info on the storage of charged lipos.

The other issue I would bring up is that lipos are dangerous, a fully charged lipo is that much more dangerous.
zverymuch is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:59 PM   #5
jrd
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: John D
Radio of choice:
JR 9503 and DX 7
# of RCs: 20+

Always hearing about the dangers of lipos but what in particular makes a fully charged LIPO that much more dangerous, you can spark terminals on a 3.8v Lipo or a 4.2v Lipo, either way not fun but does a fully charged LIPO necessarily auto-explode for some reason. I have been running LIPOS for 6 years in cars and planes and still puzzled as to real causes of LPOI danger. Yes some nice Youtube explosions and one of our club members made a nice little explosion throwing a 3.7v one into a fire! I never run below 3.70v and store them all winter at storage but most of the summer I fly 2-3 X weekly and keep batteries charged. French Fries are dangerous but I still love them.
jrd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:54 PM   #6
tporter416
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Tom P
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9
# of RCs: 11

Total Props: 5

Check out this thread, a guy on helifreak almost lost his house yesterday due to a 3S 1350mah lipo battery on a really good charger (with balance plug connected and being used). From what I have seen over the years lipos are mainly dangerous when charging or discharging. Since discharging occurs in flight no really big reprocussions, during charging, since a lot is done at home it can be hazardous...

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=753785

Tom
Old 08-06-2016, 10:57 PM   #7
RAMJET
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
JR 12x
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 24

Charge them where you like, just make sure they are never out of your sight when charging(should be in something fire resistant when charging) . and have them stored in a fire safe box when not in use,even when in your car. People have lost cars and houses because of the hazards related to lipo batteries. I have pretty much stopped using them altogether because there are better and safer choices for my application so why even take the chance. does not matter if you have never had a problem, lipos are a potential fire hazard and you need to treat them as such or you will have a problem.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:23 PM   #8
RAMJET
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
JR 12x
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 24

What's the puzzle houses burn down all the time . the cause of the danger is the chemistry of the lipo battery it's self .lipos batteries can have a internal short like any battery the difference is lipos will catch fire when they do . that is why they have had problems shipping them , they were not being over or under charged at the time they just shorted out and caught fire. All they have is a bit of stickey tape separating the terminals of the battery .that is all there is between you and a fire on your kitchen table. I stopped using them when the guys at the field tried to poke a old lipo with a hobby knife to see what would happen and it broke into a uncontrollable fire for 10 min.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd View Post
Always hearing about the dangers of lipos but what in particular makes a fully charged LIPO that much more dangerous, you can spark terminals on a 3.8v Lipo or a 4.2v Lipo, either way not fun but does a fully charged LIPO necessarily auto-explode for some reason. I have been running LIPOS for 6 years in cars and planes and still puzzled as to real causes of LPOI danger. Yes some nice Youtube explosions and one of our club members made a nice little explosion throwing a 3.7v one into a fire! I never run below 3.70v and store them all winter at storage but most of the summer I fly 2-3 X weekly and keep batteries charged. French Fries are dangerous but I still love them.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:05 AM   #9
jrd
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: John D
Radio of choice:
JR 9503 and DX 7
# of RCs: 20+

Thanks Tom, I checked the Helifreak and the only thing seemed to be a 2C charge rate which really should not be an issue, age of Lipos did not seem to be an issue and I assume they were not puffed. Roger's comments even more scary but what to substitute for Lipos in smaller aircraft--LIFEs??There must be millions of LIPOs out and around, one wonders if there is an issue say on cheaper LIPOs construction. I am certainly going to rearrange storage and charging spots--already using Kevlar bags but after 6 years and probably 60 Lipos have got to be a little blasé on the subject. So I am glad the issue got raised once more. Are LIPOs being made better (safer) in 2016 than in 2010 e.g. Do reputable companies make safer Lipos?? Answers do not seem easily available
jrd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:41 AM   #10
4*60
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 11

only thing...2c charge rate. pretty significant. I don't care what the claim is. .5 or less has to be safer. One doesn't know how packs were treated by people. When I look at grungy transmitters I realize there are completely unacceptable standards of care that may contribute.

Who admits erroneous settings used???
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.