Let's talk li-po battries. - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 08-07-2016, 10:39 AM   #11
jrd
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: John D
Radio of choice:
JR 9503 and DX 7
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 0
Re: Let's talk li-po battries.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
http://droneinsider.org/lipo-batteri...omplete-guide/

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/230155/why-is-there-so-much-fear-surrounding-lipo-batteries

Thanks Daren for good reference, here are two more --I emailed AlignRC and Maxxamps, two very reputable LIPO manufacturers to see if they would respond to some questions on safety, progress in making LIPOs etc, we'll see what they say, checking how close initial after purchase voltage is seems to be important (see URLs)
jrd is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:51 PM   #12
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 152

If you understand the risk and properly care for your lipo's, they are benign and pose no greater risk than any other battery. Knowledge and care is the key.

I always fly my Lipo's so that they are at or near 3.80V when I unplug them from my plane/heli. That way they can be safely stored for prolonged periods of time (because I never know when I am going to use them next, particularly in the fall) without the pack puffing up while in storage

Also, regarding care and storage, Last batch of Lipos I bought from HK came with a warning sticker on the package "Warning: Lipo shipped at 30% charge. Return to storage charge as soon as possible"

so it seems that new the shipping requirement is to have them as low as possible for voltage to minimise risk.

I checked the voltage and it read 3.70/Cell. I put them on storage charge and they are now good to go when I need them next

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:02 PM   #13
tporter416
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Tom P
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9
# of RCs: 11

Total Props: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60 View Post
only thing...2c charge rate. pretty significant. I don't care what the claim is. .5 or less has to be safer. One doesn't know how packs were treated by people. When I look at grungy transmitters I realize there are completely unacceptable standards of care that may contribute.

Who admits erroneous settings used???
Safe charging is specced on the battery, I have a number of e-flite that say 3C is fine, just don't exceed what the battery says. I always charge at 1C which is a good charge rate.

As for erroneous settings, the charger the guy on helifreak used is a Revolectrix, this is a very good charger that auto detects cells and is loaded with alarms for erroneous settings. I use a charger from the same company and it is a very good charger. However the guy on helifreak is wondering, since the one he got is a new style in a case, if something touched the case and shorted. In any case (no pun intended) you always need to be careful of your setup to make sure no errors occur.

After reading that I had a couple of batteries that were started to expand a bit, they are discharged now and waiting for garbage day...

Tom
Old 08-07-2016, 06:30 PM   #14
4*60
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 7

gMost eflites I see are puffed after a few uses but still produce. I believe the charge rate stated is ss reliable as the discharge rate stated, not.
1C is conservative as I think we should be.
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:42 PM   #15
jrd
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9503 and DX 7

I just ordered a couple of Bat-safes from after the Kickstarter project. They look to be very useful, little expensive with shipping but cheaper than a new house or garage. Have moved all my lips over to a kevlar strip on metal base and will use Bat-safe for charging. I do have about 80 Lipos of all descriptions and sizes, so some more safety was overdue, after 7 years had gotten a little blasť.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:03 PM   #16
tporter416
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Tom P
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9
# of RCs: 11

Total Props: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60 View Post
gMost eflites I see are puffed after a few uses but still produce. I believe the charge rate stated is ss reliable as the discharge rate stated, not.
1C is conservative as I think we should be.
Depends on where they come from, the US then the charge rates I would take as correct due to the suing nature. If coming from China, I would cut the max charge rate in 1/2...

My puffed e-flite batteries are cheap enough to replace, decided I didn't want the risk, was giving low voltage alarms on my ESC anyways, so just disposed of them...
Old 08-08-2016, 10:56 AM   #17
kcaldwel
RCC Contributor

I am: Kevin C.

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tporter416 View Post
After reading that I had a couple of batteries that were started to expand a bit, they are discharged now and waiting for garbage day...

Tom
Most places that recycle batteries will take discharged LiPos. Much better than land fill.

http://www.call2recycle.ca/locator/

http://www.ec.gc.ca/gdd-mw/default.a...n&n=4F700CB1-1

Kevin
kcaldwel is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:16 PM   #18
jrd
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9503 and DX 7

Received a response from Joshua Barker at MaxAmps.com and this is what he states

"Lipo batteries are just another form of lithium Ion. The batteries that are in your phones and laptops. There are different materials used to build these batteries. Because of this the cells are able to produce a higher voltage under load and can contain more milliamps than a comparably sized Lithium ion cell. This also makes them inherently more volatile for that same reason. Because of the power output capabilities Lipos are more of a fire risk if acted upon in a way outside of their design. A quality lipo battery should not be a fire hazard just sitting on the shelf (make sure to store your batteries in a safe, fireproof location). There have been stories of low quality cells just going up sitting on the shelf but I believe this is a build defect. A weak wall or similar within the cell gives way creating a short. The more charge a pack has the higher the chance of a thermal overload (all out fire). From our experience a lipo fire occurs due to one of three reasons. The first would be internal shorting which is crash damage, bad build quality, or similar. The second is overcharging. This tends to be charging in an incorrect mode or charging a damaged battery. Finally overheating is the only other cause we are aware of and is usually do to an ESC catching fire or similar overheating component that is in close proximity to the battery in use.

The first and last tend to be in use and there is usually not much you can do. In these cases ideally the battery pack has discharged enough capacity to where it just smokes rather than catching fire. Still not good but at least you still have the majority of your RC. Most RC applications have battery trays which protect from shorting and overheating. You can also get most battery types in a hard case form. This isn’t a perfect solution but has limited the possibility of a short.

In regards to charging the battery you should know before there is going to be a lipo fire which is why we always say to make sure you there while it is charging. I can tell you from testing that it is a long process to overcharge a battery. The battery will swell like a balloon, it vents, it smokes, and then it will ignite. This is over a 30 minute window. If you are present during the charging process and you aren’t trying to charge a questionable battery you should not have a lipo fire on the charger. We have never had one that we did not intentionally make. "

So there seem to be certain obvious conclusions:

(1) Keep Lipos in safe place.
(2) Try to store at lower (storage)voltage if not using for more than a few days(week)
(3) Best to charge at lower rather than higher(faster) rates.
(4) Perhaps a good idea to log internal resistance and voltage variation.
(5) Never leave the charging unattended.
(6) Avoid leaving them in the sun at the field and also perhaps a good idea not to charge in the car (again as we are usually flying then and not watching.)

Just some thoughts and thanks Joshua. John

Last edited by jrd; 08-09-2016 at 07:17 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-09-2016, 02:03 PM   #19
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 152

Some great pointers there.

For newbies its good advice.
For older salts its a good refresher.

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:01 PM   #20
jrd
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9503 and DX 7

Yea --the real problem will be following my own summary after 7 years of bad habits!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.