Let's talk li-po battries. - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 08-23-2016, 10:36 AM   #21
RCC Apprentice
I am: Rob W
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 0
Re: Let's talk li-po battries.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by RAMJET View Post
Charge them where you like, just make sure they are never out of your sight when charging(should be in something fire resistant when charging) . and have them stored in a fire safe box when not in use,even when in your car. People have lost cars and houses because of the hazards related to lipo batteries. I have pretty much stopped using them altogether because there are better and safer choices for my application so why even take the chance. does not matter if you have never had a problem, lipos are a potential fire hazard and you need to treat them as such or you will have a problem.
I was about 36000 feet up, over the North Atlantic on my way to Ireland when I remembered I had left a battery on my Hitec 4X charger on the storage cycle. I normally charge on the top of the washer that is located just outside my workshop. I have charged hundreds of batteries there without a problem, and frankly just got complacent about the never out of site rule. I thought of phoning one of the kids to come over and unplug the charger and put the battery away, but it was 1 am here when we landed there. I thought I would call later in the day, but, well, long story short I didn't, and in fact forgot about it for the next 2 weeks. We left on Friday night. Sometime mid Sunday the battery caught fire. I called Hitec and they said that even though the store cycle stops, the battery will still continue to drain. I don't know if that was the cause, but whatever it was the fire was intense. The burning material fell on some laundry in a wicker basket by the washer. That caught fire and because it was against the workroom door, that door caught fire. the fire burned up the door and the wall caught fire, and the open ceiling floor joists were just beginning to burn when a miracle happened. About 15 years ago I had wanted a faucet out the side of the house. The problem was there was a metal beam blocking a direct path from the copper cold water pipe to outside, so instead of soldering I used a plastic fitting and flexible piping. That piping burst and the ensuing deluge doused the fire, putting it out. The water continued to cascade down until our daughter stopped by the house about 4 hours later. In fact, water caused as much, if not more damage than the fire, but of course would not have happened if the fire hadn't have happened.
I have struggled with a way that would be safe to charge even if a fire did start. I have come up with a solution. I have a smoker BBQ I have not used in a few years. A BBQ is supposed to have a fire in it right? So now I charge on the grates of the old unit and if the worst does happen, and a battery does catch fire, it will be contained within the bbq.
I wanted to tell this story, because it is so easy to become complacent when charging.There were many times when I did not watch the charging process closely, and there was never a problem. I take full responsibility for what happened. Luckily, my insurance company has been unbelievably good, very generous and understanding. So I guess all I can say is make sure you are diligent when working with LIPOS. They are wonderful things and make modern electric flight possible, but they must monitored and charged in a safe environment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fire.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1037321  
octagon is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:48 AM   #22
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JR ss and 8103, FrSky Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 4

Thanks for telling your story....... from the picture it appears that some nearby models escaped unharmed.

The suggestion about using a salvaged BBQ is a great one which I had not before heard.

Btw, I store my lipo batteries in a bar sized fridge, just above freezing, both for safety and longevity.
Newmarket, Ontario
MAAC 15048
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:09 PM   #23
RCC Apprentice
I am: Rob W
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 0

Hi Michael,
That plane in the background is an eflite Beaver 25 on floats. The tail was close to the fire, and received some damage, and it was covered in soot, but is I think repairable. I had the wings for a Denight Special that had the covering shrink until it pulled away from the balsa, but again should be repairable. At the moment all my tools are in storage or being cleaned by the insurance companies cleaner. I don't even have and exacto knife! I had a couple of foamies hanging from the ceiling. They look like they are made of popcorn! with the horizontal stabilizers looking like a hound dog's ears hanging down.
octagon is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.