General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related
Sponsored by: Shami Hobbies

Old 07-18-2016, 02:12 PM   #41
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 13
Re: LHS staff

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
My first ever job at 12 years old was in a local hobby store. We didn't have a computer but we had catalogues and spec sheets and even at 12 I learned how to loon something up. With the internet it's nearly mindless to do so.

Wow 12 years old.......that's amazing

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:15 PM   #42
bbbair
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
Hitec
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sebastien View Post
Wow 12 years old.......that's amazing
No Mike it isn't amazing.
It is the difference in education, up bringing and dedication.

Some people actually WANT to work and CARE about their jobs. They also realize that a small job can be a stepping stone to a bigger career.

THAT LOGIC has been lost on a lot of people in the recent generation.

Your sarcasm brings nothing to the conversation.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:59 PM   #43
4*60
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by reo View Post
Merv, what frustrates me is the lack of hardware (Dubro, etc) in shops these days. In most cases I have a better selection hanging on the wall in my shop left over from my business days. Seems if you walk in with a list of 6 hardware items you will never (or seldom) find all six items without compromising something to fill your order. It's much easier to order from the keyboard and pay a bit of shipping from time to time.

Hobby shop guys, I know it costs money to keep inventory but I always found the cost of hardware to be the least of my worries (investment wise) when I was in the hobby business eons ago.

Ron
What is perplexing is a lot of stuff is available at for instance Tower Hobbies and right now they have free shipping which of course isn't free to Canada BUT they will ship currently for $15US(20 cdn) after the adjustment (unless it's a large item). So if they have the hardware you can order it and pay $15 + the taxes of course(if intercepted). Not totally blaming our Canadian LHS or online HS. It just seems it's expensive to do business in Canada.
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:05 PM   #44
4*60
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sebastien View Post
First it was a salesperson, then kids and now teachers. Life must be rough out in Alberta.
You have to read. He wasn't picking on teachers. He was empathizing with them.
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:52 AM   #45
hellyeh
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Gerald R
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 30+

So now it appears that the fella that was accusing someone else of being a bully , is the one that is providing nothing to the conversation than poor sarcasm . In case you are wondering Mike , yes , I am referring to you .
Old 07-21-2016, 09:12 PM   #46
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellyeh View Post
So now it appears that the fella that was accusing someone else of being a bully , is the one that is providing nothing to the conversation than poor sarcasm . In case you are wondering Mike , yes , I am referring to you .
I have gone thru some very difficult stuff in my life recently and it has made me realize that that this really doesn't matter. You may think I have been sarcastic, yea whatever, don't care.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:05 AM   #47
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 154

Lets stay on subject, gents. Please.

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:22 PM   #48
Ramz
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Mark Ramsay
Radio of choice:
Anything but Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics

Total Props: 5

"No, I was hoping you would be able to find the part number. It's for a Saito FG11."

I spent approx. 2 years working in a lhs as a counterman/tech support guy and after reading the original post, it took all of my will power to not yell at my monitor. All the salesperson had to do was, after you said it's for a FG11, find out what the crank shaft size was. Problem solved. Horizon often lists information like that on their website. If not, there is always the option to check in stock items or lastly, the dreaded abyss that is internet discussion forums.

Last edited by Ramz; 09-01-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Ramz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:00 AM   #49
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 61

Exactly!

So I went to the other store with the knowledgeable, helpful guys behind the counter and as per previous experience there, what I wanted was not in stock and had to be ordered from their eastern warehouse directly. I was told it would take 2 weeks and it only took 4 1/2 weeks but came with a nice little gift!

Nice touch!
Old 09-03-2016, 11:50 AM   #50
aquila
RCC Contributor

I am: Jeremy J

Here is my gripe with LHS's......
I went into our LHS here in Abbotsford (we only have one) in May. I told them I needed six hitec standard servo's (can't remember the numbers but I gave them the model number), 2 high torque mini servos, and a receiver. Nothing was in stock and that was ok. They quoted me some prices, the prices on the 2 mini servo's and the receiver were inline with Great Hobbies and Hobby Wholesale but the standard servo's were nearly double the price. I showed them the online price and they claimed that was the same price they paid for them. I asked what they could do (they aren't expensive servo's, but with 6 of them their price difference was $72, more than enough to justify shipping from GH). They brought the price down to $3 more than GH and I said that's fine, I'd rather support the LHS.
They said "order will go in Monday, they should be here by Friday".
I figured great, no rush but I figured a one week turnaround was awesome.
So the first week goes by and I call, no they haven't come in yet, next order in is Friday. No worries, no rush. Wait until the following Saturday and call. Sorry, not sure when they'll be in.
I'm wondering what gives. I was told a week, now two weeks have passed and they don't know when they'll be in?
So I wait 2 more weeks, call, your order is placed, it was placed when you ordered them, but we're not sure when they're coming. So I questioned how does 1 week turn into 1 month and you don't know when they'll be here?
Then I was informed that the store was changing owners and they were having a tough time getting accounts set up to place orders so I asked again "So are my servo's ordered then?" I was told yes they are ordered. Fine, I wait again.
4 more weeks go by and still nothing, so I make a post on their facebook page.

Quote:
So it's been over two months since I ordered servos and a receiver that I was told roughly one week. Then each week after told one more week. Then told the store is changing owners, one more week. That was four weeks ago. Should I just buy product elsewhere?
They sent me a private message

Quote:
LHS
I apologize sincerely for the delay, the change over is taking a lot more time than we had anticipated. As of now I do not know a date as to when we will receive the order. We do not want to lose you as a customer however it is understandable if you need the to source your parts somewhere else in the meantime. Again, I am very sorry we hope to have this rectified as soon as possible.
I replied back:
Quote:
I don't understand why an ownership change would affect my order. I was told it would be ordered that Monday. when I called a week later to ask if it had come in I was told not yet but it has been ordered and should be in on the next shipment. New owners or not unless it was never ordered and I was lied to I don't understand why it hasn't arrived. In two months time I'd find it difficult to believe that nothing has been ordered or received for the store. I would think in order to stay in business you'd have to restock supply more often than every few months.
They respond with:
Quote:
We have a huge order pending, however because of all the accounts needing to be transferred over we are not able to receive anything until its all done. I'm sorry for the inconvenience to you.
So an order Pending is not really "Ordered" is it. Still doesn't really make me feel like the truth is being told. 2 months with no stock coming in makes it pretty tough to keep sales going. Further to that, I own a business, it's never taken me more than a day to get accounts set up with credit checks.

I replied to them with:
Quote:
It's not so much the lateness on the parts. It's the fact that twice I have been flat out told the parts are ordered. Not order pending. Skirting around things like that isn't exactly being honest with customers is it. Not the best business model, particularly for new owners. I'll get my parts elsewhere.
So I figure it's a dead issue at this point, I get my parts somewhere else.
Then on August 11th they call me and leave a voice mail telling me that they are finally placing an order and want to know if I still want my parts.
This confirms that they spent those first 2 months lying to me about my stuff actually being ordered. Had they been honest about it at the beginning I'd have probably still said ok, no problem, I'm in no rush so get your business affairs in order and I'll get the parts once things are up and running. Keep in mind that their first comment to me on July 25 was that "As of now I do not know a date as to when we will receive the order."
So at that point, 2 months in they were still telling me that they were ordered, they just don't know when it will be in.

I ended up leaving a bad review on Facebook and they responded saying that in the end the store didn't sell and blah blah blah. They claimed that the staff didn't know the store was being sold, yet the girl who took my order and told me 1 week is also the one who was replying to me in messages telling me that the store was being sold and accounts were being set up etc.

I'm out of LHS options in reasonable proximity to me. There are a couple decent ones across the bridge but between drive time/gas, and bridge tolls, I might as well pay for shipping anyway from somewhere else. A new hobby store has opened in Red Deer, the owner there always treated me good when I dealt with the old hobby store in Red Deer that he worked in, so I'll support him.

One would think that with the ease of online shopping, all business's would try to ensure their customer service is impeccable, but more and more they seem to have adopted the attitude that "if we ---- of this guy another one will just come into the store tomorrow and we can sell them stuff".

Unbelievable.

On, and yes, I didn't name the LHS, but it's easy to figure out, it's the only one in Abbotsford and frankly I don't care if anyone figures it out. It's not slander, it's another prime example of poor business practices.

Last edited by aquila; 09-03-2016 at 11:56 AM.
aquila is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.