Tiger 2 Ailerons - 1 servo or 2 servos? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 11-15-2004, 09:03 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Colin J
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0
Tiger 2 Ailerons - 1 servo or 2 servos?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am building the Carl Goldberg Tiger 2 airplane kit. Should I build it stock with one aileron servo, or modify it to have a servo for each aileron? Thanks.
Colin Jensen
Regina Windy Flyers
cjensen is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:09 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim M

Total Props: 1
Depends on what you want to do with it?

If you want to set up elevons and or flaps you need to go with 2 servos ..... could make it more fun and interesting!
Jim Moss
MAAC 16236
IMAC 3716
My Old Gallery:
Straighten Up & Fly Right!
JimMoss is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:34 AM   #3
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Tom P
Radio of choice:

I would use one servo in each wing ,large ailerons and less chance of flutter and better response with a servo in each wing. I have a tiger 60 and love it . great airplane, the tiger 11 is just a little smaller but a great aerobatic training just like the tiger 60.
tom0187rc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:17 PM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor

definitely go with one servo per aileron, if only for the more secure, direct (and easier) linkage.. You can just "Y" them together if you wish, or use the programming flexibility offered by computer radios to give you flapperons... Its up to you..

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:43 PM   #5
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Even in my trainer planes that I have built I have always used one servo per aileron. I've used them on a Goldberg Eagle 11, a Telemaster 40 and an Ace Wiz 40. Even the SPADS I've built, I've used 2 servos for the ailerons.

Its also a sort of redundancy factor as well. I have had a linkage let go on one aileron and was still able to have decent control although somewhat sloppy on the other to get it on the ground in one piece. It does work!

Two ailerons does give you crisper response too. As has been said there are a number of benefits that come from two aileron servos. Differental Ailerons, Flaperons, and even some nifty funfly setups that are only possible with two ailerons servos. The cost factor is only the price of the extra servo and a "Y" connector OR an additional servo extention. With the "Y" just setup as normal and with the extention, I plug one servo in my aileron slot in the receiver and the other on channel 7 and use the mixing for differential ailerons. The bit of extra weight is usually not hardly noticable,

So I guess the consensous is for a 2 servo setup. Have fun and good luck with the new plane!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:45 PM   #6
Fly Guy
RCC Apprentice
I am: Gary L
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 35

Tiger 2 ailerons

I have a GB Tiger 2 that started life with a single servo as per the plans. Had to retrofit to dual servos due to flutter when flying fast. Managed to use the plane for a season before the flutter got so bad that only slow flying was possible.

If you're building now and the wings are not covered, its alot easier to cut the ribs for the servo leads and install the servos trays. I had to rig a brass tube to drill out the holes in each wing.

Dont even waste time going the single servo route, the ailerons are large and will soften up quickly. Get a "Y" servo lead and one extra servo and you're done.
Its not Raining so,
Rather be flying ....
Fly Guy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:19 PM   #7
Fox 22
RCC Junior Contributor

Ya definitely go with dual servos. I've had two tigers, and the torque-rod system simply has too much flex. After switching to the dual servo setup, the aileron responsiveness was much better. Plus you can get much larger control throws with the dual system- snaprolls are fun!
I don't know what we're YELLING ABOUT! ......... LOUD NOISES ! ! !
Fox 22 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:31 AM   #8
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 7
Mine went in when servo arms snapped. I may have nicked it with my cutting method(you learn from mistakes!), but with 2 servos, one probably would have been ok and I may have saved it.
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.