Looking for new radio Sysytem.... - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 07-11-2016, 01:32 AM   #11
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 20
Re: Looking for new radio Sysytem....

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I googled taranis circuit board issues to try and find it for you but ran into so many issues "world wide" that sorry but wouldn't take one even if it was for free. All the fixes in both transmitter and a few receiver boards just don't cut it. I see some happy people but many had to do resolder and patches that shouldn't be happening.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:54 AM   #12
deaconFlyer
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: B. McLaren
Radio of choice:
Taranis & 9XR
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 6

The build on my Taranis was remarkably clean and well done. When you watch a lot of r/c videos you see that it can be hit and miss on virtually every brand. To date I have not found a single build or solder error with a FrSky product.

There are some early reviews of the beta-Horus units that have not liked the side pot placements. It comes down to flyer/hand style and personal preference. I have a large hand, but small fingers. I fly "pinch" style and so tend to relegate the side pots to very minor, rarely used functions. I also use the neck strap.

For some fun in the interim, download CompanionTX from http://opentx.org and set up a software transmitter for yourself. Now you can gain first hand experience with the templates, refinements etc. while testing them out in the simulator before someone gets in to trying to scare you off claiming there is a huge learning curve. I found the curve very, very small ... a fraction of any other transmitter I have used.

Tweaking and testing my transmitter settings on the computer has saved me a lot of menu plugging at the field.

This also appeared recently ... http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=8724 ... if you follow the links in the first post you will find some excellent documentation being developed.
... Luke 6:38

Last edited by deaconFlyer; 07-11-2016 at 07:02 AM.
deaconFlyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:05 AM   #13
Myzee
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Myles Jarvis
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 2

As a little research project (LOL) I went through a %$#&^load of threads on R/C forums. I looked at people's profiles and read what they have as their "radio of choice"

Futaba, JR, with Jeti looking like it's getting there. There was a few Taranis.
I was asking myself why? Could be pilots already have their systems before the Taranis came on the scene?

I wish there was a way I could expand my trusty Futaba 9C because I need more channels...but it ain't happening. I like the programming on that radio.
The next radio that looks like it could be the 9C's bigger brother is the 14SG.
But like I say, I have a habit of looking at Futaba as I have always used them lol

Old 07-11-2016, 09:11 AM   #14
Boatcrazy
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Derick
Radio of choice:
Frsky Taranis/Tactic TTX850

Total Props: 7

Taranis is a great radio.
Have had my original Taranis not Plus for 2 and a half years with absolutely no problems at all.
Boatcrazy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:14 AM   #15
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1966664&page=5
Here is a good link to just one of many Taranis forums for those thinking of buying.... I am just saying " buyer be aware". Just some reading for prospective Taranis buyers and then make up your mind. Some have no issues others do .

On the left is a Taranis inside view and to the right is a Jeti inside View.

Myzee : FYI, Jeti just did an upgrade or maybe I should say added features just by a software upgrade from 16 to 24 channels , added programming for multi-quads and allowed you to run two receivers in parallel to utilize the full 24 channels. This was just a couple of major features, oops maybe I better say 3 as some will correct me....LOL..... to my knowledge they haven't had to fix or correct a thing and if they did it would have been a minor fine tune.

If you click the second picture to enlarge to the right of the lithium transmitter battery you can see the charging circuit system that controls the charging of the battery... quit more substantial than a wall charger. I can also charge thru the provided USB cable that I plug into a 12v cigarette jack in my vehicle ( while on the road) by using a $5 adapter that supplies a usb outlet.

So for under $1000 you can get started. Also forgot to mention that Jeti transmitters and receivers are FCC and IC certified for use in NA. One of the few who do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt2AlyO.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	504.0 KB
ID:	1000321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeti DS-16 inside circuit.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	461.0 KB
ID:	1000329  

Last edited by stegl; 07-11-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:32 PM   #16
4*60
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 12

Two different views and two different products. All of my latest gear didn't cost $1000 including 2 transmitters. To each his own. The majority of flyers in my area should not spend that because no matter how good the product if you let the oil and dirt accumulate ...it's just ugly!

FCC and IC. futaba, hitec, Jr, spektrum .........
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:00 AM   #17
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Agree with you on the radios guys use and abuse . My 7 year old Airtronics SD-10 looks like new the day I unboxed it and clean as a whistle but then I treat it right and it has never failed me.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:50 AM   #18
flyboy4540
RCC Contributor

I am: Peter H
Radio of choice:
Airtronics

Total Props: 0

If you would go for a 10 channel, I can put you into a Airtronics SD-10GS for less than $550.00 depending on the exchange rate. I have been been a rep, for Airtronics for over 30 years, and selling this great radio for over 10 years. The radio that Len is talking about was one I sold to him. You sure do not see much about problems with Airtronics on any forum. It is just like the Everyready bunny, it just keeps on going.
flyboy4540 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:32 PM   #19
4*60
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Taranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post
Agree with you on the radios guys use and abuse . My 7 year old Airtronics SD-10 looks like new the day I unboxed it and clean as a whistle but then I treat it right and it has never failed me.
I sold a Futaba 9C to the US a few years ago that had been used for years. Guy came back with the comment he could not tell it had been used. Can't say the same for my models though. Some people are the opposite of that.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:33 PM   #20
4*60
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Taranis

Is Airtronics not being sold anymore? Or is it just a name change and still sold?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.