New product code for Taranis at GH. - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum

Old 07-11-2016, 01:45 PM   #1
Hexperience
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dave R
Radio of choice:
Taranis
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 0
New product code for Taranis at GH.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
The other day I went looking on the GH website to see if they have the FrSky Horus listed yet... I was surprised to find, they no longer listed the Taranis! Currently they are showing the Taranis X9E (the tray model). I don't mean they are showing the Taranis X9D (Plus model) as not in stock, I mean they have been removed from the product list.

What's up? I sent an email to GH service, but haven't heard anything back yet.

I hope there isn't a problem, it's been great being able to buy Frsky locally and not have to order it over seas or from the US.

Last edited by Hexperience; 07-19-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Hexperience is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:49 PM   #2
marcus
RCC Contributor

I am: Marcus Keeler

Re: No more Taranis at GH?

Sketchy availability and equally wobbly open source firmwares are a nightmare to deal with for an over-the-counter retailer. Frankly I was impressed they carried it at all. Taranis radios are like APM Flight controllers, great hardware let down by poor and confusing software implementation.
marcus is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:47 AM   #3
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 16

And here I thought it was the other way around ......great software and so so hardware ?
Did a search on " Taranis circuit board issues " for someone that questioned a statement ,and come up with a whole bunch of forums on other websites and there are hardware issues out there.
Plus they are not IC ( Industry Canada ) certified. Most guts couldn't give a dam until something happens.

It's under " looking for a new radio".

Some common expressions are mods , hack , fix , glue , de-solder and solder are just a few. When I buy a system I want it to work not spend time mods ,hack or fix !

Be interesting to find out why they dropped it, maybe because it wasn't IC approved ?

Last edited by stegl; 07-12-2016 at 01:12 AM.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:26 AM   #4
Hexperience
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Taranis

I've looked at the IC list, it's not easy to search, but there are several radios not listed. It maybe because an RF module covers a number of transmitters.

I find the software very easy to use and have had no hardware issues at all. Judging by how quickly the Taranis would sell out, and looking at the forums I'd say it's a very popular TX. If GH couldn't keep them in stock, obviously there is demand.

I hope it's not a case of one of the big distribution companies giving GH some kind of ultimatum.

Last edited by Hexperience; 07-12-2016 at 07:47 AM.
Hexperience is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:43 AM   #5
4*60
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 7

I would think your last statement pretty well sums it up. (Would be my guess)
So the US businesses will profit if that is the case.
One person here bought the big T from GH and there has never been a query or complaint or any further contact with them. So at least one buyer wasn't a pain. Guess the other buyers were, according to some.
A lot of speculation and "I hear" type stuff on here. A lot of opinions from non users. That's the internet.
I hear Volkswagen was clean burning too!
Some just don't get that the Taranis and Opentx attracted a lot of hobbyists that like to tinker with the hardware. Doesn't mean it has to be done.Without tinkering there wouldn't be an Opentx. I don't use Linux or Unix or whatever and there are a lot of "tinkerers" using it but somehow there are thousands and thousands of Linux machines that just keep humming along for businesses.

Last edited by 4*60; 07-12-2016 at 04:51 AM.
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:32 PM   #6
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexperience View Post
I've looked at the IC list, it's not easy to search, but there are several radios not listed. It maybe because an RF module covers a number of transmitters.

I find the software very easy to use and have had no hardware issues at all. Judging by how quickly the Taranis would sell out, and looking at the forums I'd say it's a very popular TX. If GH couldn't keep them in stock, obviously there is demand.

I hope it's not a case of one of the big distribution companies giving GH some kind of ultimatum.
If the RF board is built in then the FCC and IC approval numbers are added to the back of the radio but if it has the removable RF module then it is the RF modules that are FCC/IC approved.

Regarding radio stock , that would mostly be dependent on just how many were stocked. If they had say 10 plus then it would be easier to restock once you got down to 2 or 3 but if only 1 or 2 were stocked then it becomes much harder to preplan when to order.

Fairly easy to see what GH stocks and where as it is stocked in their inventory count which is available on line. At least pretty close.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:39 PM   #7
Hexperience
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Taranis

Yeah, that's the point of my question, they have removed the product all together. Normally they sell out and show 0 inventory. They get a few in and they last a few days.

Now it's not even listed. The tray version still is.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:45 PM   #8
Hexperience
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Taranis

Mystery solved: GH replied to my email, they are currently out of stock and say that there is a new updated model coming soon. Check back in a couple of weeks for more details. So I guess the current product code will not be valid for them. I'm not sure if this means there will be an update to the X9D plus or if they will be taking pre-orders for the Horus! That would be very cool.

Main thing is, they are not dropping the line...
Cheers!
Old 07-12-2016, 09:26 PM   #9
kcaldwel
RCC Contributor

I am: Kevin C.

Total Props: 6

Thanks for the info! Great to hear the Horus will be available soon, and the GH will be carrying it.

I love both my old Taranis B, and my Taranis Plus. The capability for the cost is amazing. I run a LUA script for triangle closed circuit sailplane racing that just isn't possible on any other radio.

I also used the FrSky 2.4 modules in JR Tx for years before the Taranis, and the radio link is very good.

Kevin
kcaldwel is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:11 PM   #10
Hexperience
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Taranis

They didn't tell me anything other than "check back in a couple of weeks, there is an update" so that could be as little as them selling the Taranis with the new soft case. I have a feeling that they will carry the Horus at some point but even Frsky say not until December....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.