General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 02-18-2011, 02:13 PM   #81
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: russ h
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0
Re: foam cutter

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by Flypaper View Post
Yep, works great. I use it on my bigger cutters. Ideal size is .020 which is what I have.
Interesting, I have lbs & lbs of .023, .025 & 0.030 here, never came across 0.020 before. Tried the 0.025 and it melted as soon as I put 12v / 2a with my charger to it. .020 snare OTOH worked just fine.
russ is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #82
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7

I just measured it with a pair of calipers. A few tenths of thou. is not going to make any difference. I use a Variac and ramp the temp up till it starts to cut scrap foam for a place to start. Anything from .015 to .030 will put you in the ballpark. Precision mikes are it the garage somewhere. My migwelder is also out in the garage.

Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276

Last edited by Flypaper; 02-19-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:08 PM   #83
I am: Philip A

Total Props: 15

Once you build your power supply (with the light dimmer), you can pretty much use any type of wire you want at any length. Having an adjustable power supply is a must for foam cutting.
philipa_240sx is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #84
I am: Philip A

Total Props: 15

I've had a few PM's about the transformer I used and the size. Here are the specs:

Primary Input: 120VAC
Secondary Output: 24VAC
Rating: 96VA (4 amps)

This is sufficient to power a 48" long bow. I strongly recommend the installation of a ceiling fan dimmer on the primary side to control the power. This will allow you to use bows of different lengths and wire thickness and adjust the power to suit.

Sourcing transformers of sufficient capacity are not the easiest. The ones I have used are typically found in commercial heating and A/C control applications. You can try places that specialize in furnace repair & parts, and electrical supply houses:

For those who are fortunate to live in Toronto or Mississauga, try places like Sayal Components:

Or Active Surplus (one of my stomping grounds in my college days):

Example of one type I have used:

Lectro Components LE12000:

Last edited by philipa_240sx; 02-19-2011 at 12:57 PM.
philipa_240sx is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #85
RCC Apprentice
I am: Jim P.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0

Originally Posted by philipa_240sx View Post
For those looking for cutting wire:

I have successfully used stainless steel fishing leaders as cutting wire. They are sold under the 'Danielson' brand at Canadian Tire. The longest ones are 36". To use them:

1) Cut off the swivels and eyelets at each end.

4) The leader is coated with plastic. I found out the hard way that I could not connect the leads to the wire directly... the plastic covering insulates of course. To burn off the covering, power up using the lowest setting and increase until the plastic starts to melt. Clean off any bits with a a rag.
I got my stainless wire from Cabelas in various gauges. Bass Pro has it and I am sure a lot of sporting goods stores have it and even some hardware stores. McMaster Carr also has it.
Mooney_Driver is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.