Canadian NATS - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 07-17-2016, 10:53 PM   #11
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Keith Morison

Total Props: 11
Re: Canadian NATS

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by Mike Sebastien View Post
I always thought MAAC dropped the ball years ago when they didn't purchased the property in Tillisburg when offered.
The only deal I saw coming out of Tilsonberg was a low-cost lease that would have required the building of a building and development of the site with no guarantee of long term viability. This was also at the airport, so the viability of a flying site for regular use was questionable.

Originally Posted by Mike Sebastien View Post
Combined Nats has been dead since.
But not because the Tillsonberg deal failed. It is much more because competitors don't really want to travel the distance to attend a 'real' Nationals in Canada combined with a lack of unified interest in hosting the event.
I've been involved in organizing a 'unified' Nationals in Canada, it was a LOT of time and effort.
Keith Morison
MAAC 24909L
Morison Communications - Publishers of Model Aviation Canada
Morison is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:41 AM   #12
RCC Contributor
I am: Cory Paine
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 0

Originally Posted by cf100 View Post
I was looking at the 2016 AMA Nats Scale entries

One entry for Novice Scale, two entries for Sportsman Scale, looks like the competition side of the rc hobby is almost done.

16SCR - Scale (RC Fixed wing)
Total Registrants - 38
Event # Name Open Senior Junior
511 RC Sportsman Scale 2 0 0
512 RC Expert Sport Scale 7 0 0
515 RC Designer 3 0 0
520 RC Fun Scale/ Open 25 0 0
520N RC Fun Scale/Novice 1 0 0
522 RC Team Scale 5 0 0
523 Open Scale 6 0 0
Everything has its ups and downs... I'm sure the boom in the ARF market, and the lack of youth has taken its toll on the Scale events. Sad....
On the other hand, Pylon racing at the AMA nats is one of, if not the most entered event in muncie... 80+ entry's. with multiple levels to compete at. very promising for the pylon world... in the states that is. one can dream......
M.A.A.C. #26951
cpaine is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:24 PM   #13
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Stephen Cochrane
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX6i
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 0

Went to the Cdn Nats in Centrilia many moons ago (1970's). Lots to see, great deal of C/L (carrier, stunt, combat) couple lines of RC. Biggest memory was combat, a guy showed up in suit and tie, took off his jacket and started to compete in C/L combat. Both planes took off and collided about three seconds later. Big Bang like a paper bag popping, complete silence followed as pieces decended to the ground. At least that's how I remember it.

MAAC should do the Nats again, guys fly all over the world to compete in contests, why not in Canada too?
MAAC 14842
Don't let the low number fool ya - just got back into flying after 30 yrs absence.
scochrane is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:30 PM   #14
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Kevin f
Radio of choice:
dx18 all the way

Total Props: 8

Did the Canadian Nats in 2000 , yes it was close. In 2001 I trekked to Muncie for the Nats there. I real eye opener for sure. And expensive for sure. It's unfortunate that we can't get a Nats going in canada the hobby has changed dramatically with the advent of arfs and instant gratification. Doesn't jive with a Nats unfortunately it's a ton of work and no one wants to do it anymore.

Unfortunately it is what it is.

Maac 18218-L ,
Ridge Flyers,MAAC Jet Committee
2 ltr club Founder
Sebart Blanik 3.2m,Mythos 125e SAB GOBLIN URUKAY,MA XLPRO2K
kev-o is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:30 PM   #15
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 21

The only way I could see it working in the West is if there was a venue/flying club that had significant capabilities with room for jets, giant scale, IMac, Precision Aerobatics, etc. Let the club build to the size of former RCFCBC - 250 members - then you have the base you need to pull something like this off. As it is, only 10% of those guys will be willing to put in the effort required but that's the way it always is - not just in RC.

That and make it a funded event and pay your CD. It's pretty much a full time job for two years....

MAAC Jet Committee/JPO Western Canada
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.