Onion skin or Tracing paper? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:58 PM   #1
Rickity
RCC Apprentice

I am: Rick T
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 16

Total Props: 4
Onion skin or Tracing paper?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am very new at this and am wondering what you use to transfer from the drawings to the wood? Someone said onion skin and then I was told tracing paper, or is there an easier way to do this?
Rickity is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:29 PM   #2
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 20
Re: Onion skin or Tracing paper?

Use whatever shows thru better. Smaller parts and especially with wing ribs , I make heavier solid cardboard (not corigated) templates and use these to mark wood for cutting. Cardboard from cereal boxes ,works great ; you are recycling ; and mistakes cost nothing. This is where constant cord wings , make it the easiest. The tracing paper can be glued to the cardboard using any non water spray contact cement.

You will have to adjust the size to take into account that when traceing patterns onto wood
That your new line will be very slightly larger. Works great for me but others will have better ideas , according to them.

When done , store all the rib and bulkhead templates into an Kraft envelope for future use n the case of repair.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:46 PM   #3
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 15

The easiest I feel is get a copy of your plans which is surprisely cheap. Cut out the templates from the copied plans and I use glue stick to paste them to the wood. Templates are easily removable from the wood.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:39 AM   #4
michaely
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JR ss and 8103, FrSky Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Here are some good leads found by googling "transferring plans to balsa".
https://www.google.ca/search?sourcei....0.aqk94CKRmoo

Machine photocopying is a great resource and I've found a home laser printer which has a glass platen on which you can lay parts of a larger plan or a cut out from a plan to be the best; I found the Brothers brand to be the most reliable and cheapest.

In the past I would cut out of plan sheets the templates for wing ribs and fuselage formers and make paper copies with a home printer.... I would use rubber cement for paper (similar to the glue stick recommendation but a liquid) to stick the paper template onto balsa and cut out the part with a scroll saw, xacto knife, etc.; the rubber cement would rub off the balsa part.

Also, be aware that many plans, including the whole plan inventory of RCMagazine are available for free on websites such as Outerzone and several areas in rcgroups.com........ these can be printed out full size with a home printer in "tile" form and taped together or downloaded to a memory stick and printed on larger sheets at a big box stationery store, etc.

good luck,

Last edited by michaely; 09-08-2016 at 12:37 PM.
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:35 PM   #5
Glenn Nigh
RCC Contributor

I am: Glenn N
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 7

I have also used cereal boxes I keep in supply for pattern work. I have used the method of placing the drawing of the part I want to copy over the cereal box side and using a pin that I have made for this, I put a row of pin pricks around the shape and then cut the cardboard part out to trace out the number of parts needed. I know it takes time but so does all the printing and gluing methods. I do not destroy the drawings this way and I also keep all the cardboard patterns for future if needed. It has worked for me for 65 years !
Glenn Nigh is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:33 PM   #6
alex sorensen
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Alex S
Radio of choice:
futaba 7c

Total Props: 0

if you copy the part on paper,then affix the paper over your wood,face down,and brush on laquer thinner or acetone...the ink transfers to the wood.Try one,and see if you get the effect you want.
alex sorensen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:23 PM   #7
Rickity
RCC Apprentice

I am: Rick T
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 16

Gentlemen, you have supplied me with many great suggestions and I am grateful to you all. Thank you very much and I will be back with more "dumb" questions in my quest to excel at this great (but expensive)hobby. But then again $70 for a round of golf and I am done in 4-5 hours. A few rounds less of golf and I have a plane to enjoys for many more hours, what with having to repair it when it crashes. )
Rickity is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:13 PM   #8
jim.f.hertel@gmail.com
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Jim Hertel
Radio of choice:
DX7s
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 1
I trace parts on thin see through paper. Then lay that piece of paper on the wood and poke a bunch of pin pricks through the paper along the traced lines. Then take away the paper, then draw lines on the wood between the pin pricks left in the wood. Then you can cut out the part close to the lines not touching the lines. Then finish the part by sanding the rough part until the edges become the drawn lines.
jim.f.hertel@gmail.com is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:10 PM   #9
The-mailman
RCC Noob

I am: Bruce M
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 0

I've always used carbon paper or graphite paper as it's sometimes called under the plans and just trace the shape directly on the balsa. The carbon paper transfers the lines traced onto the balsa so it can then be cut out. You have to make sure the plans, carbon paper, and balsa are all taped down so it doesn't slip. Most art supply stores carry 2' x 3' sheets.
The-mailman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.