Super newbie from Toronto - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 07-17-2016, 08:57 AM   #1
Catchme
RCC Noob

I am: Andre

Total Props: 0
Super newbie from Toronto

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi everyone. New kid in the block here. I hope to learn as much as I can step by step.

Can anyone recommend good store for newbie like me? I need staff that also eager and have patient to show me the rope. I went to Advance Hobbies, and even though the store was super slow when I was there I did not feel that the guy was eager to show me around his store to shown different options. He just stayed behind the counter even though I told him that I have zero experience. His answers were very general and did not provide recommendation for me.

I live in North York so anything closer is always great. I am looking to get into anything that fly and trucks/buggies.

Thanks
Catchme is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:07 PM   #2
tporter416
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Tom P
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9
# of RCs: 11

Total Props: 5
Re: Super newbie from Toronto

Hobby Hobby is great, if you're looking to fly planes you will want to join Maac, www.maac.ca and a club for flying. Maac has a club listing so you can find something close. It will save you a fortune and increase the fun if you get some training at club, flying planes takes some practice to get up in the air...
Old 07-25-2016, 11:52 AM   #3
Catchme
RCC Noob

I am thinking of getting a buggy or monster truck for my first ever nitro powered RC. What do you guys think of Traxxxas brand? Is there any famous and reliable brand names out there that you can recommend? I am thinking of getting an RTR one and maybe start to customize later when I am more comfortable. Can you recommend one or two including the model name from the following budget? -under 300 -between 300 to 600 -between 600 to 800 -between 800 to 1100 Thank you

Old 07-26-2016, 12:59 PM   #4
wparsons
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Will P
Radio of choice:
DX8
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 1

I would suggest staying away from nitro for a first vehicle. Electric cars are faster, run for long times, and are MUCH easier to run and maintain.

Where do you plan to run it (what type of terrain)? Buggies might not be the best bet unless the ground is relatively smooth, they don't have much ground clearance compared to a monster truck.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:03 PM   #5
Catchme
RCC Noob

I have decided to get monster truck instead of a buggy. I think I am going to go with brushless RTR. Two models that I am interested are Traxxxas E-maxx and T-maxx. What do you guys think?
Old 07-29-2016, 10:25 AM   #6
wparsons
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX8

The T-Maxx is a nitro truck, not brushless electric. The E-Maxx requires two 2s or 3s packs per run, you could also look at the Stampede 4x4 VXL, it only needs a single pack per run and is a lot cheaper to buy.

https://traxxas.com/products/models/...de-4x4-vxl-tsm

https://traxxas.com/products/models/...maxx-brushless
Old 07-29-2016, 10:41 AM   #7
Catchme
RCC Noob

I changed my mind. I want to get E-Revo brushless instead. What do ya think of it?
Old 07-29-2016, 10:44 AM   #8
wparsons
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX8

It's better suited for pavement than really rough terrain, but isn't a bad option.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.