Great staff/store recommendation - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Old 07-17-2016, 08:59 AM   #1
Catchme
RCC Noob

I am: Andre

Total Props: 0
Great staff/store recommendation

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Can anyone recommend good store for newbie like me? I need staff that also eager and have patient to show me the rope. I went to Advance Hobbies, and even though the store was super slow when I was there I did not feel that the guy was eager to show me around his store to shown different options. He just stayed behind the counter even though I told him that I have zero experience. His answers were very general and did not provide recommendation for me.

I live in North York so anything closer is always great.

Thanks
Catchme is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:44 AM   #2
ErevoDude
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Jason A
Radio of choice:
flysky
# of RCs: 3

Re: Great staff/store recommendation

most people that go into a hobby shop know exactly what there after, that's probably what he is used to, good thing you joined this forum cause a forum is the best place for advise just ask in the category you need advise in and ime sure someone will help
ErevoDude is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:06 AM   #3
NDW
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Nelson D
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 4

Head over to great hobbies. Amazing staff, decent prices and they know there stuff. I've been there when complete newbies walked in showing interest in the hobby.... That made that person feel valued and only sold them what they needed and nothing hey didn't. Also gave them lots of valuable information.... They made sure the customer dealt with the most knowledgable staff in the area they expressed interest into...

D.
NDW is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:50 PM   #4
tporter416
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Tom P
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9
# of RCs: 11

Total Props: 5

Hobby Hobby is great, they are in Mississauga, very helpful staff, I would head that way.

Tom
Old 07-18-2016, 06:06 AM   #5
Catchme
RCC Noob

I will visit Hobby Hobby and Great Hobbies and will report my experience on both store. Too bad they are not closer to where I live.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:49 AM   #6
JoeT
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: JoeT
Radio of choice:
Was a Futaba, Now a Tyrant with Taranis.
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 9

Since you live in North York, you can also visit AJ Hobbies at HWY 7 and 400. They have lots of stock on cars and radios. Speak to Arden, he will help you out.
JoeT is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:28 PM   #7
Catchme
RCC Noob

Nitro vs Gas vs electric. Which one is the best overall in term of power, cost, reliability, maintenance, and etc?
Old 07-26-2016, 01:13 PM   #8
wparsons
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Will P
Radio of choice:
DX8
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchme View Post
Nitro vs Gas vs electric. Which one is the best overall in term of power, cost, reliability, maintenance, and etc?
Electric across the board. Nitro is fun, and the noise/smell are great, but they require more tuning, more maintenance, more cleaning, etc. Electric you usually just need to charge batteries and go have fun.

I wouldn't suggest nitro for a first car/truck to anyone unless they have someone local to help them out.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:21 PM   #9
SubyJad
RCC Noob

I am: Jad A
Radio of choice:
DX6i DSMX
# of RCs: 4

I am in Mississauga and usually visit hobby hobby and find them to have a broad spectrum of knowledge. I find great hobbies in my area has mainly sales staff that does not have the right RC knowledge. just sales people. I have seen the exact opposite of what NDW described at great hobbies. My last visit there, it was 2 young guys working, one was knowledgeable, the other not at all.
as another poster mentioned, you have come to the right place.

I used to be all about nitro around 10 years ago. Today my nitro RCs are shelf queens.
Electric is simpler and cleaner. Also a lot less to do in post run.
Electric does get hot and needs some cool down periods for life longevity of equipment.
The speed really comes down to the motor and gearing that you decide on. I really dont know how to compare electric to nitro, maybe there is a chart that gives output comparisons for different size electric and nitro engines.
all that said.... I LOVE the sound of nitro.. nothing compares.
SubyJad is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:42 PM   #10
Catchme
RCC Noob

I visited AJ Hobbies today and Arden was very helpful and patience. I didn't feel rushed at all. He answered all my questions.

What do you guys think of Best Buy's prices when buying Traxxas from them? It seems that their prices are lower compare to smaller hobby stores?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.