Taranis vs the world - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 07-17-2016, 08:59 PM   #1
Myzee
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Myles Jarvis
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 2
Taranis vs the world

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
So.....one has to ask themselves........what does the FrSky Taranis have that the others don't? (excluding lower price)

Seems like FrSky are extremely popular with their Taranis....and everyone is waiting for the Horus?
If this company/radio is so awesome...why haven't the big names lowered prices to compete with this?
Like i say...gotta ask the question!

Last edited by Myzee; 07-18-2016 at 02:41 PM. Reason: typo
Myzee is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:50 PM   #2
JoeT
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: JoeT
Radio of choice:
Was a Futaba, Now a Tyrant with Taranis.
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 10
Re: Taranis vs the world

Open-TX is why + rock solid ACCST protocol, plus ability to use a plug in module for compatibility with almost anything. Plus the amazing support from the open source community, plus local support from many re-sellers in Canada and USA, Plus availability of parts for the diy replacement of broken parts, like switches. ( we've all accidentally dropped our tx's right).

Telemetry components are inexpensive and widely available.

Computer user interface, if that's the route you want to go to configure your planes. List goes on and on...

Last edited by JoeT; 07-18-2016 at 06:45 AM.
JoeT is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:57 PM   #3
itizme
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Steve W.
Radio of choice:
Futaba MZ, Futaba SZ

Total Props: 14

Makes sense to be cheaper if you don't have to do all of the work. Personally I like the stuff but still never found myself owning one just like many others. That being said I know someone that already has a frysky and I do tell him to just upgrade his existing radio to a newer version. Instead of starting all over again.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:08 AM   #4
davidmc36
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth
# of RCs: 30

Total Props: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myzee View Post
So....why haven't the big names lowered prices to compete with this?
I think up to now Taranis hardware is a bit dated so they don't see it as a "threat". I think once Horus is released they will sit up and take notice. She will have all the existing advantages of OpenTX, reasonable priced Rx and accessories, plus added market advantage of FrSky OS and SERIOUS hardware upgrade.
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:18 AM   #5
deaconFlyer
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: B. McLaren
Radio of choice:
Taranis & 9XR
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 6

For me, I am a software tweaker, and the allure of being able to, at my computer, adjust-test-adjust-test-upload-fly was simply to intriguing. I was impressed with the quality and feel, blown away by the savings on receivers and telemetry and have become confident that I will have rock solid performance.

I endured the calls of "shame" from local flyers ... listening to them constantly complaining about some mix or other that rendered their plane into pieces ... all the while watching them flip repeatedly through menus trying to find the variable they thought was located ... no, not there.

In the interests of full disclosure ... my computers run Linux ... so I am beyond confident in open-architecture software and firmware. I enjoy being able to make things work the way I want them to ... a major plus for Open-TX ... where there can be two or three ways to easily accomplish almost anything ... and the support of thosands of other GPL users who share their solutions. The other, more expensive suppliers, have a lot to learn.

The other side, that it can be setup quickly and reliably by someone who simply chooses and walks through the templates means the non-techie has all the same benefits without ever going under the hood.

... and I too am waiting for Horus.
... Luke 6:38
deaconFlyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:51 AM   #6
michaely
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JR ss and 8103, FrSky Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myzee View Post
So.....one has to ask themselves........what does the FrSky Taranis have that the others don't? (excluding lower price)

Seems like FrSky are extremely popular with their Taranis....and everyone is waiting for the Torus?
If this company/radio is so awesome...why haven't the big names lowered prices to compete with this?
hi Myles,

I see from your recent posts you are looking for radio system under a grand that will replace your existing Futaba but have more channels.

I don't think you would be happy with the Taranis as it would leave you with too much unspent money in your pocket... Alex Lee last week here sold a Taranis Plus for $210 (or less), for sure under $250 if he added in a 8/16 channel telemetry capable rx.
Even FrSky's Horus - probably available before next flying season - with a menu type operating system one beta tester has said is similar to Futaba's, with "big brand" quality hardware (eg. metal gimbals with hall sensors) may not cost more than $500-550 U.S. which would still leave too much unspent money.

I don't KNOW if big brand rc manufacturers are influenced by FrSky's high-value-for-money marketing conspiracy .... but I point to other areas such as car market where parent companies such as Toyota and Nissan have luxury vehicle divisions such as Lexus and Infiniti; you can spend half, a third or even a quarter of the luxury vehicle price and get 95 or 98% of the luxury car's functionality but the car manufacturers know there is a segment of the market that NEEDS to spend several times more to feel good and they are happy to oblige.

(smiley) = tongue in cheek
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:21 PM   #7
JoeT
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: JoeT
Radio of choice:
Was a Futaba, Now a Tyrant with Taranis.
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 10

BEST Post EVER!!! hahahah

It would be a terrible dilemma to NOT have to spend that much money, how can you face the world!! Head held high in shame, looking others in the eye begrudgingly smiling.

What has this world come to?

(Tongue in cheek too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaely View Post
hi Myles,

I see from your recent posts you are looking for radio system under a grand that will replace your existing Futaba but have more channels.

I don't think you would be happy with the Taranis as it would leave you with too much unspent money in your pocket... Alex Lee last week here sold a Taranis Plus for $210 (or less), for sure under $250 if he added in a 8/16 channel telemetry capable rx.
Even FrSky's Horus - probably available before next flying season - with a menu type operating system one beta tester has said is similar to Futaba's, with "big brand" quality hardware (eg. metal gimbals with hall sensors) may not cost more than $500-550 U.S. which would still leave too much unspent money.

I don't KNOW if big brand rc manufacturers are influenced by FrSky's high-value-for-money marketing conspiracy .... but I point to other areas such as car market where parent companies such as Toyota and Nissan have luxury vehicle divisions such as Lexus and Infiniti; you can spend half, a third or even a quarter of the luxury vehicle price and get 95 or 98% of the luxury car's functionality but the car manufacturers know there is a segment of the market that NEEDS to spend several times more to feel good and they are happy to oblige.

(smiley) = tongue in cheek
JoeT is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:13 PM   #8
Myzee
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Yeah....I was kinda wondering how to take that post LOL
Old 07-18-2016, 02:51 PM   #9
Myzee
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Makes me wonder how much the big names actually "could" be selling their products for and still make a profit..
Old 07-18-2016, 07:22 PM   #10
4*60
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 12

But you would not get the first 3-4 page ads in Model Airplane News if prices dropped where they could be.
4*60 is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.