raven1978
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Brad G
Radio of choice:
Graupner MZ-24
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 1
Smoke oil

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Looking for a source for some bulk mineral oil/babyoil. The biggest i can get is 591 ml. Would like to try and find someone that sells a 5 gal pail to the public, or even some form release oil. I mixed my own baby oil/kero at 3:1 and had satisfactory results, but buying 6 bottles at a time for 1 gal of smoke oil is rediculous. Anyone have any insight?
raven1978 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:31 PM   #2
aceplant00
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Todd M
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7
Re: Smoke oil

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...od_id=ROB21001
aceplant00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:33 PM   #3
aceplant00
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Todd M
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9

Total Props: 7

think if you were to look at some of the farm supply stores you will find mineral oil by the gaallon and maybe 5 gallon pails. It is standard large animal vet supply
aceplant00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:15 PM   #4
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.

Total Props: 20

Aircraft spruce in Canada has smoke oil in bulk . There may be others won't find it you don't google it.
Petro Canada and Ackland-grainger are other sources... A little detective work works well.

Last edited by stegl; 07-19-2016 at 11:25 PM.
stegl is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:24 AM   #5
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 35

I have read some south of the border found a good and much less expensive alternative in Concrete Form Release Oil:

http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/en/products/337.aspx

Be interesting to see how well that works.

Last edited by Cougar429; 07-20-2016 at 06:44 AM.
Cougar429 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:30 AM   #6
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.

Concrete form release oil is pretty potent to one's health when burned as in exhaust smoke for either turbines or IC motors. Better check out the MSDS sheets before buying.
Hazards also exist when handling the liquid as well. I would stay away from it.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:04 AM   #7
Scrappy
RCC Contributor

I am: Alan H
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post
Concrete form release oil is pretty potent to one's health when burned as in exhaust smoke for either turbines or IC motors. Better check out the MSDS sheets before buying.
Hazards also exist when handling the liquid as well. I would stay away from it.

I agree with Len on the concrete release oil, I work for a precast concrete company and the MSDS sheets for mold release oils are loaded with cautions and warnings.

The below is from one we have used in the past and is only a very small portion of the MSDS for warnings and this is only for the oil in liquid form...... who knows what the smoke will do to you!

Personal protective equipment:
General protective and hygienic measures: Avoid contact with the eyes and skin.
Breathing equipment:
A chemical cartridge respirator with organic vapor cartridge is required. A dust/mist cartridge or prefilter may be
needed in addition to control exposure to mist. Supplied air respirator (SCBA) is required at exposure levels above
the capabilities of a chemical cartridge respirator.
Protection of hands:
Gloves should be worn to prevent skin contact and should be impermeable and resistant to the product.
Material of gloves
Gloves should be impermeable and resistant to the product. Selection of material should be considered before use.
Eye protection:
Tightly sealed goggles
Face protection
Safety glasses with side shields should be worn to prevent contact due to splashing. Under high vapor mist
concentrations, tightly sealed goggles should be worn at all times.

There are many (many) types of mold release oils and the majority of them are petro based so none of them are going to be all that great for you or anyone else as smoke.

Please do your research if you are using any or want to try some so you know what you are dealing with and use the least harmful choice(s)!!

Last edited by Scrappy; 07-20-2016 at 10:15 AM. Reason: wording
Scrappy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:13 AM   #8
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Yes, stick with commercially available aircraft smoke oil . The more the volume the cheaper it gets per gallon. Maybe you could split a drum of smoke oil among other people who use it or are thinking of using it.

The model turbine users are switching or have switched away from synthetic Aviation turbine oil to less toxic oils that are more people and animal friendly as this was only mixed in kerosene at up to 5% which is still considered a hazard. The commercial aviation turbine oil was only designed as a recirculating oil and not meant to be burned.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:58 AM   #9
Slats!
RCC Contributor

I am: Slats

Now we know what happened to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy View Post
I agree with Len on the concrete release oil, I work for a precast concrete company and the MSDS sheets for mold release oils are loaded with cautions and warnings.

The below is from one we have used in the past and is only a very small portion of the MSDS for warnings and this is only for the oil in liquid form...... who knows what the smoke will do to you!

Personal protective equipment:
General protective and hygienic measures: Avoid contact with the eyes and skin.
Breathing equipment:
A chemical cartridge respirator with organic vapor cartridge is required. A dust/mist cartridge or prefilter may be
needed in addition to control exposure to mist. Supplied air respirator (SCBA) is required at exposure levels above
the capabilities of a chemical cartridge respirator.
Protection of hands:
Gloves should be worn to prevent skin contact and should be impermeable and resistant to the product.
Material of gloves
Gloves should be impermeable and resistant to the product. Selection of material should be considered before use.
Eye protection:
Tightly sealed goggles
Face protection
Safety glasses with side shields should be worn to prevent contact due to splashing. Under high vapor mist
concentrations, tightly sealed goggles should be worn at all times.

There are many (many) types of mold release oils and the majority of them are petro based so none of them are going to be all that great for you or anyone else as smoke.

Please do your research if you are using any or want to try some so you know what you are dealing with and use the least harmful choice(s)!!
Slats! is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:00 AM   #10
Slats!
RCC Contributor

I am: Slats

I just ordered a 5 gal pail of Robarts from the LHS for 125$. Not worth the effort of making your own for that price.
Slats! is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.