Glow Plug Thread Repair - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 07-23-2016, 06:36 AM   #11
aspeed
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: alanf
Radio of choice:
monoline
# of RCs: 50

Total Props: 5
Re: Glow Plug Thread Repair

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tskca View Post
Someone sent me a glow plug tap which I have no idea what it would be used for.
I have used the tap for making conversion heads on the little Cox motors with the one piece heads, as well as experimenting with making new heads. I do have a lathe though.
aspeed is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:53 PM   #12
Raymac
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Ray M

Total Props: 0

Here is someone's solution to repairing of a cylinder head that has been broken at the exhaust pipe outlet.....this would probably work for a damaged plug thread as well.....

Repair of cylinder heads

You will need an Aladdin aluminum brazing rod or similar, they are a zinc alloy. Melting point is around 700 F.
Use a stainless steel brush, and you will need to remove the cylinder and strip it of everything.

Start by removing the nut from the exhaust pipe (the end that goes into the engine, not the one that goes into the muffler) degrease it and when all parts are clean, screw the exuast pipe into the head.

Use a propane torch (not MAP gas) to heat the cylinder up at the exhuast port until the Aladdin rod barely starts to melt. Scub the area with the stainless steel brush. You must use stainless to decontaminate the aluminum. A regular steel or brass brush will not work here.

Continue to heat the area until the Aladdin rod melts, and apply a nice healthy bead completely around the base of the exhaust pipe. Let the whole thing cool on its own.

When its cool, the exhaust pipe will unscrew from your braze, since the Alladin rod does not stick to steel or brass, and you will have perfectly formed theads that have been brazed onto the cylinder head. If done properly, (and cleanliness is the key here) that braze will not release from the aluminum. The 'healthy bead' gets filed flat so the locknut seats back down.

Reassemble everything, replace the locking nut on the exhaust pipe, and you're ready to go.

Source unknown
Raymac is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:39 AM   #13
Derek Hanna
RCC Noob

I am: Derek H
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 7

Thanks for the brazing info, Ray. It sounds like a challenge but may be feasible.... will need space to deposit a bead of braze at base of a glow plug.
I'll let you know when I get some aluminum brazing rod to give the technique a try.

Derek
Derek Hanna is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:40 AM   #14
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 20

A consideration with heating the head is that if there is any warpage it may not seat on the cylinder correctly.

Ray : have you personally tried this type of repair ? To try and SS brush the inside of a small hole will not be easy. If that works I would try filling the hole and then drill and tap a new glow plug hole.

Have had some experience with the alloy brazing rod and not that easy. The other consideration would be to make a brass insert with the outer being oversize and the inner being the size of the glow plug. Loctite make permanent bearing type sealers that will seal the outer threads of the insert. BUT after all said and done
The cost of acquiring the taps and dies makes it slightly cost prohibitive unless you have a friend that has a small lathe as well as taps and dies to suit.

Last edited by stegl; 08-01-2016 at 03:30 PM.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:54 AM   #15
Raymac
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Ray M

No.....I have not tried it myself. I think the brazing of exhaust pipe threads as mentioned in the article would be easier than the glow plug hole that you have.

Ray.
Raymac is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:33 PM   #16
Hubert 1
RCC Apprentice

I am: Hubert F
# of RCs: 7

I wish there was a way to fix burntbglow plugs... quite often I plug my clip into the 12v slot...

I usually tighten it finger tight, then a quarter turn with the wrench. Has always worked well for me.
Hubert 1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:00 PM   #17
NEW222
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Chancey C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert 1 View Post
I wish there was a way to fix burntbglow plugs... quite often I plug my clip into the 12v slot...

I usually tighten it finger tight, then a quarter turn with the wrench. Has always worked well for me.
That's too funny. A couple weeks ago, after using my field box, I cleaned everything with Windex and wiped it all down. I then went to the garage and was testing an unknown glow plug. I plugged the cables in and inserted my glow plug only to hear a pop and see a quick flash. So I thought it was due to a bit of liquid in the connector. Now thinking that it is now dry, I put another plug in to check. Same result. WTF? As I was about to try the third one, I realized my mistake!
NEW222 is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Tags
helicoil , glow plug

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.