Damm crazy about RC
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: James S
Radio of choice:
Futaba Super 7/ 9 CAPs/FrSky X9E
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1
Re: DLE35ra having fits

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVenture View Post
BBBair: Not sure about fuel starvation exactly. Runs just fine if the air temps are cool. Over 1 1/2 hrs running this way. (Approx 2hrs total run time on engine)
New fuel tank was flush before install--twice! Fuel lines all had gas pushed thru. Direct line to carb. Fuel fill valve also had gas thru it prior to install.
Mike: Pressured up the tank and fuel lines. Left it for over an hour. Tank was still under pressure and visual inspection showed no signs of any gas leakage so I think I will check off thaat it is not this.
Crash a lot (and you did LOL): Could be ignition but why does it run when cool and only badly when air temp is hot. I ran for more than 30 minutes (stopped twice for refueling) without so much as a hiccup in morning. In the evening of same day on very next flight it started to act up. Air temp was 10+ degrees hotter. Going to change out the plug though.
It just doesn't like you!!! Lol
Crash alot is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:56 PM   #12
RSVenture
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Arnold H
Radio of choice:
JR 10X
# of RCs: 5

Was just talking with my flying buddy and that is the next step. I will have to figure a way to add some weight to the front end to compensate for the cowl as the cowl being as large as it is weights a fair bit. Obviously if it runs well on a hot day without the cowl, question answered. More cooling.
We also discussed how to create a baffle/shield between carb and muffler. Will try the all until something works.
RSVenture is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:13 AM   #13
RSVenture
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
JR 10X

OK. Ran the engine Sun evening with absolutely no issues (cowl off but not flying). Very hot out but no problem. Engine off to refuel. Restarted in 15 mins no issues.
Falcon 20 x 8 prop 7100+ WO 1650 idle. No transition hesitation.
Mon started it and I went flying. 4-5 minutes starts to splutter. Got it down ok
Pulled carb, screen covered with gunk. Cleaned filter/carb with carb cleaner.
Reinstalled leaving cowl off, re-tuned,. 10+ mins zero issues. Landed, refueled, fired up and ran great. Installed the cowl, but waited 30-40 minutes. Training happening.
Time to fire up. Nothing, would not start, not even fire. Changed plug to new NGK. Nothing. Pulled the cowl off AGAIN!!! Could see no fuel draw in fuel lines. What the hell. Never fired again all day so went home somewhat pissed off to say the least.
Tried this morning but still no fuel draw. Checked if needle valve stuck. Nope, but filled chamber with fuel. Now it draws fuel.
Anybody know why the heck the fuel all drained from carb, and then engine not draw fuel 30 minutes after a previous flight? It was very hot 30+. AND NO air leaks. I replaced all lines inside & out tank, pressurized to check tank itself. No fuel draw until I filled chamber with fuel. I realize that engine may have been dry after cleaning but still does not explain why no fuel draw after sitting for 30 mins at the field??

Old 07-26-2016, 11:18 AM   #14
RSVenture
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
JR 10X

Forgot to mention. Carb is a Walbro 532. Where do you fellows get your carb kits from? I was also wondering if the DLE carb from the a DLE30 would work on the 35 just to try?? Thanks.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:19 PM   #15
jtsmash
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Jason T.
Radio of choice:
DX9 /Tactic ttx650
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 2

couple things, again based on my experience with this same engine (im no expert, first year gasser) lol:

- are you choking it every time you try to start it? i noticed with mine even at +25c or more if it is cooled right down it needs choke to pop, then choke off and couple clicks of throttle before it will start
- still too lean. I thought i had mine good but i noticed if i flew in the cool morning then left it in the sun for an hour or so when its hot that it was still too lean on my low end, had to ritchen it more than i thought.
( i also try to keep engine in shade when its real hot out too)
- The best way I found was to get it running, fly for 3-5 minutes then land, with engine running put it back at the staring posts, then check transition now that is nice and hot, if it hesitates at all, its too lean, if it just to say sputters with a bit of smoke, leave it because when you put the cowl on it will heat up especially with the exhaust right at the back. Also when you land and first shut it down you should be able to touch the crank / bearing areas and hold your thumb on it without being burned, if its too hot to touch then its too lean. as it sits it will get hot so try it right after you land and shut the engine off.
- Lastly, leave your cowl off and get some more flights on it before putting it on. i probably have 1/2" clearance all around my fins, and about 3/4" near the exhaust. I think i put 10-15 flights on mine before i put the cowl on (i had to take it off again to enlarge the air exit area)
jtsmash is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:15 PM   #16
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 13

Quote:
Pulled carb, screen covered with gunk. Cleaned filter/carb with carb cleaner.

Where did the gunk come from?
Old 07-26-2016, 01:50 PM   #17
RSVenture
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
JR 10X

I am not sure. I had a filter in the gas can, inline filter between fill tee and carb, that did not seem to have anything like the gunk in it. But just to be sure, put in a new tank with all new fuel lines,clunk, new filter, new check valve, new filler tee, bought a new gas can, bought new gas, new line and filter in the new gas can. Only thing I haven't yet changed is the pump on gas can. New one ordered. Not much else I can do is there??? Looking for somewhere to buy carb kit for the Walbro 532.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:09 PM   #18
Eye Can Fly
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Brent S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 11

You sure your pump is rated for "Gas"?
Eye Can Fly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:20 PM   #19
jtsmash
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Jason T.
Radio of choice:
DX9 /Tactic ttx650
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 2

I would remove the filter between the tank and carb as it sounds like the crud bypassed it anyway.
Put a regular clunk in the tank, not a felt one unless you flush it with fuel first as the fibers come off most of them when they are new. (end up in the carb screen)
Just have a filtered clunk in your gas can, and in line filter after your pump then into the plane, there should be no way to get crap in the gas once its in the airplane. try and get from the tank to carb with the least amount of restriction as possible.
Is it possible the vent line is being pinched?
jtsmash is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:22 PM   #20
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 13

Quote:
I am not sure. I had a filter in the gas can, inline filter between fill tee and carb, that did not seem to have anything like the gunk in it. But just to be sure, put in a new tank with all new fuel lines,clunk, new filter, new check valve, new filler tee, bought a new gas can, bought new gas, new line and filter in the new gas can. Only thing I haven't yet changed is the pump on gas can. New one ordered. Not much else I can do is there??? Looking for somewhere to buy carb kit for the Walbro 532.

Check valve?????

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.