-Rick-
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Rick K.
Radio of choice:
JR 9503, Frsky Horus
# of RCs: 5+

Total Props: 1
Re: DLE35ra having fits

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
As far as choking the motor, my 35ra is reverse. Choking floods it out quickly. On a hot day I don't choke it at all and it will start 3rd flip. Did you do the reeds?

And also, check valve??? Why?
MAAC #20880.
-Rick- is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:18 PM   #22
Eye Can Fly
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Brent S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 12

Check valves are sometimes used when you are using a two line tank (vent and a "T" on the feed/fill line). It prevents fuel (and subsequent air bubble from getting between the "T" and the carb.
Eye Can Fly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:44 PM   #23
-Rick-
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9503, Frsky Horus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye Can Fly View Post
Check valves are sometimes used when you are using a two line tank (vent and a "T" on the feed/fill line). It prevents fuel (and subsequent air bubble from getting between the "T" and the carb.
But gas motors or I should say gas carbs are not hurt by air bubbles like nitro motors. I have never used a check valve and all I run is two line systems. Also never seen one in use on a gas plane.

I had the crud on my filter in the carb rather quickly when I first bought the motor, I thought it was a bit of the mold release stuff left in the carb or from the screen itself when it was made.
MAAC #20880.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:54 PM   #24
RSVenture
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Arnold H
Radio of choice:
JR 10X
# of RCs: 5

Ok first, yes my pump is gas rated.

I put the check valve in for one reason. Gas siphoned out of the line/carb somehow yesterday after sitting for around 40 minutes. After 3 hours sitting it is fine. Check valve is now removed, lines filled with gas, so will wait and see if anything happens tonight.

I am with you Rick that maybe something left in the carb from manufactuer process? The inline filter has the same fine screen as the carb, so it had to be there already I guess.

During first few flights I ran engine quite rich, I did not choke the engine if I restarted within say 15 mins. If it had time to cool some I would give it choke for 1 or 2 flips and it would then start on next flip.

The gurgling and sputtering for the first flights maybe should be attributed to the gunk in the carb than running rich.

Anyway, won't be trying to fly tonight. Beautiful evening, but moved the plane across garage floor and well crap. Tail wheel wire broke flush with fuse. If anyone has had or seen the Top Flite Stinson, this is not going to be an easy fix. The whole thing is hidden inside the fuse with sides and bottom fully plywood sheeted. This will involve a saw I am thinking!! What next?
RSVenture is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:46 PM   #25
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVenture View Post

The gurgling and sputtering for the first flights maybe should be attributed to the gunk in the carb than running rich.

If there is gunk on the carb screen that would restrict the gasoline flow and cause the engine to run lean or not even start. Guessing this Gunk is the ethanol and oil coming out of the gas. I use premium gas in all my engines which doesn't contain ethanol. I have 2 Dle 35, Dla 30, ZDZ 160, DA50, 2 DA85's and more. They all run great.

I would take everything out that isn't required, filters, t-joints and set the needle valves back to factory settings. Keeping everything simple usually solves most issues.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:51 PM   #26
-Rick-
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9503, Frsky Horus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sebastien View Post
If there is gunk on the carb screen that would restrict the gasoline flow and cause the engine to run lean or not even start. Guessing this Gunk is the ethanol and oil coming out of the gas. I use premium gas in all my engines which doesn't contain ethanol. I have 2 Dle 35, Dla 30, ZDZ 160, DA50, 2 DA85's and more. They all run great.

I would take everything out that isn't required, filters, t-joints and set the needle valves back to factory settings. Keeping everything simple usually solves most issues.
I to thought it was ethanol but since then I have been getting my gas from the same place for two years now with no further problems. I am very sure it was in the carb before it got to me. I did buy it new.
MAAC #20880.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:04 PM   #27
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 15

Ethanol is only a guess and I really don't think it is the issue here. The so called gunk maybe the preservative oil they are using when shipping from?
Old 07-26-2016, 08:14 PM   #28
williame3590
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: William A
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 67

Some premium gas such as 93 & 94 octane contains ethanol but should not have any impact.

Bill
Old 07-26-2016, 09:10 PM   #29
-Rick-
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9503, Frsky Horus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sebastien View Post
Ethanol is only a guess and I really don't think it is the issue here. The so called gunk maybe the preservative oil they are using when shipping from?
Could be, in mine it was a clear jelly like stuff. Which is why at the time I thought it was the ethanol. I think it was a corrosion protection jell with all the color washed out of it.
MAAC #20880.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:12 PM   #30
-Rick-
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9503, Frsky Horus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVenture View Post
Ok first, yes my pump is gas rated.

I put the check valve in for one reason. Gas siphoned out of the line/carb somehow yesterday after sitting for around 40 minutes. After 3 hours sitting it is fine. Check valve is now removed, lines filled with gas, so will wait and see if anything happens tonight.

I am with you Rick that maybe something left in the carb from manufactuer process? The inline filter has the same fine screen as the carb, so it had to be there already I guess.

During first few flights I ran engine quite rich, I did not choke the engine if I restarted within say 15 mins. If it had time to cool some I would give it choke for 1 or 2 flips and it would then start on next flip.

Anyway, won't be trying to fly tonight. Beautiful evening, but moved the plane across garage floor and well crap. Tail wheel wire broke flush with fuse. If anyone has had or seen the Top Flite Stinson, this is not going to be an easy fix. The whole thing is hidden inside the fuse with sides and bottom fully plywood sheeted. This will involve a saw I am thinking!! What next?
Wow!! that plane is not in a hurry to reach the sky!!

Where does the gas siphon out from?
MAAC #20880.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.