winter=cold hands on Tx? - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 12-10-2004, 09:35 AM   #31
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well, I wish I could have had about half the devices suggested in this thread when I was out at the field yesterday afternoon. It was not really cold, but the heavy overcast and 20 - 25 Km wind made it seem much colder than the 6 deg C my thermometer was registrering.

I went to the flight line wearing my down parka and two pair of gloves, the little "1 size 4 all" inside a pair of work gloves. When all was fueled, running, tuned and ready to go, I stepped into the flight line box, stripped off the outer gloves and flew. In retrospect, it should have been shirt sleeve weather, but this winter I really seem to be feeling the cold, and it isn't really here yet.

Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:39 PM   #32
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Jeff M

Total Props: 0
Winter flying in Saskatchewan

O.K. I'll admit I don't winter fly as much as I could, but I always take a plane to the lake for Christmas holidays. 12 mile runways are hard to pass up... I've found a couple of things to be especially helpful. The first is plain old latex gloves. Yes, the ones you NEVER want to see your Dr. pull out. They keep a bit of the wind out and protect you from getting fuel on you hand, which hurts like a son of a &^&^$# in the cold. Then wear a pair of thin gloves over top. I always try to keep my hands as warm as possible before actually flying, that way you get a few extra minutes on the controls.
Unknown airport with Cessna 150 circling overhead, identify yourself."
Frequentcrasher is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:33 PM   #33
RCC Supreme Contributor

One tip for your poor frozen engine.. My Dad carries a thermos of hot water with him...just before starting, he puts a finger over the carb, then pours some hot water over the cylinder...this warms it up enough to help with starting..... I've not used it myself, but have been with him when he did, and it worked!

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-11-2004, 03:22 AM   #34
RCC Master Contributor
I am: a Scratch Builder
Radio of choice:
JR 9503 & DX7
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 6
I will second those cheapy .99 cent stretchy gloves that you find different places. Just make sure they have a tight weave to them. They do allow you to have that tactile feel to your sticks while keeping the wind off your hands.
I flew the first time last sunday with them and they worked great. 2-3 degree C outside with a light wind.
I was flying about 11-14 mins at a time with my large highwing electric.
One thing is these gloves and velcro don't get along as I found out as I tried to open or close my battery straps. I ended up having to remove my gloves but the large spent flight batteries warmed my hands back up again.

If you want awesome, you have to scratch build it!
Tomahawk is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:59 PM   #35
RCC Noob

We still make the Radio Mitts. We put a pocket in the back of the mitt to put chemical hand warmers if desired. Were in the process of making the mitt open from the top so the radio is inserted from the top. Also modifying the sleeve area to put it at an angle and have it flair out a little. Should be nice!

Happy flying,

jtprouty is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:29 AM   #36
RCC Noob

Re: winter=cold hands on Tx?

go to
for a deal
dave7867 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.