★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Bill M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
UHS Noorduyn Norseman build

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I said I wasn't going to start building until this winter but I can't stay away from it. This one and the 1/6 scale beaver. A few pictures to start but I won't be giving a daily update. Possibly every couple of weeks when there's something to show. Bear with me as this one is a two hour head scratcher for 20 minutes of building. I'm hoping that Max and Gary and others chime in as I go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Norseman image.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	555.0 KB
ID:	1023089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Norseman 061.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	466.2 KB
ID:	1023097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Norseman 064.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	565.0 KB
ID:	1023105  

Owen Sound Barnstormers

kitbuilder is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:30 PM   #2
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30
Re: UHS Noorduyn Norseman build

Will do. Don't forget to keep everything aft of the CofG as light as possible. IMO, lightening holes in the 1/4" bulkheads would not hurt.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:03 AM   #3
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 152

Ah!!! I love this model. Will be watching this thread and provide feedback from my UH Norseman experience

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:53 PM   #4
Thunder Chicken
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Nathan C
Radio of choice:
Airtronics

Total Props: 3

i love mine with a Zenoah G20 for power!
Broke a wing strut (built as per the plans) last year, its still on the bench awaiting fixing.
Its a nice flying model, needs rudder for nice turns, and adding flaps really slows her down for nice 3 point landings
Thunder Chicken is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:29 PM   #5
kitbuilder
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Not sure if I'll do the flaps, I'll have to decide when I build the wing. I already know I'll be building in servo pockets. In the bad old days bellcranks were a PITA.

Owen Sound Barnstormers

Old 08-05-2016, 10:27 AM   #6
Kip0416
RCC Apprentice

I am: Clifford R
Radio of choice:
Hitec
# of RCs: 15

If you put flaps on it your chance of crashing it goes up about five hundred percent. They are a lot of trouble to build in and the aerodynamic effect of flaps can cause a crash. You do not need them on the lightly loaded wing of a Norsman. First of all deploying the flaps moves the centre of pressure back, nose down. They put a down airflow on top of the stab, nose up. They increase the drag about 300%. All these factors change with airspeed. If you are not going to enter it in a scale contest forget them.

Kip
Kip0416 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:38 PM   #7
Max
Administrator

Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip0416 View Post
If you put flaps on it your chance of crashing it goes up about five hundred percent. They are a lot of trouble to build in and the aerodynamic effect of flaps can cause a crash. You do not need them on the lightly loaded wing of a Norsman. First of all deploying the flaps moves the centre of pressure back, nose down. They put a down airflow on top of the stab, nose up. They increase the drag about 300%. All these factors change with airspeed. If you are not going to enter it in a scale contest forget them.

Kip
What are you talking about? 500%?. On some models, flaps are essential. It changes a fast hot landing into a slower feather landing. BTW I have flaps on many of my models, including the UH Norseman and to date I have 0 crashes caused by flaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitbuilder View Post
Not sure if I'll do the flaps, I'll have to decide when I build the wing. I already know I'll be building in servo pockets. In the bad old days bellcranks were a PITA.
Definitely put the flaps in. Not putting them in would be a mistake. Mine are installed as you are suggesting; flaps are in pockets in the wings. Nice straight line from the servo to the flap horn.

Though mine converts from floats to wheels easily, I prefer to keep mine as a dedicated float plane. I always take off with about 20deg flaps and also use 20 for most landings. I'll use more on very calm days when I I need to dive in towards the water on landing. With no headwind to slow me down, more flaps are needed for higher drag. (we have a large stand of trees on the edge of the float field- think full-scale short-field-landing and that is why I would use more than 20deg for landings)

Cheers

Old 08-05-2016, 01:15 PM   #8
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30

Flaps do not cause a crash. Improper flying in any regime is the reason.

Depending on the design the graph of the amounts may vary, but virtually all start out producing more lift with minimal drag. As they continue to deploy the lift and drag meet and with further deflection the lift decreases while drag increases dramatically.

The resultant pitch change, (if any) can be countered by mixing in elevator deflection, but proper power management is key to any maneuvers. As with normal approaches, you want to maintain pitch angle and manage the approach path with power. You will find more power is required as flap angles increase, but you can achieve lower speeds for that same approach angle.

The main differences come from the type of flap designs available. The simplest are where the surface is hinged directly to either the top or bottom of the rear spar with no aerodynamic separation.

Split flaps such as with the Texan/Harvard seem to induce the least pitch change while Fowler or Split can show quite evident pitch effects, likely due to their also traveling aft and down, altering both the chord and Center of Lift.

One further bit of advice is if you tend to raise the nose a lot the ailerons can become less effective or even reverse. As you approach critical Angle of Attack the best technique is to lessen aileron inputs and use rudder for roll control.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:06 AM   #9
kitbuilder
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

I'm ready to start bending landing gear wire and found that my du-bro wire bender isn't big enough to handle 4mm diameter steel rod. Is a bench vise, propane torch and big hammer the only alternative? In the past I found that this method doesn't give what you would call an accurate and neat bend.

Owen Sound Barnstormers

Old 08-07-2016, 02:41 PM   #10
Max
Administrator

Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitbuilder View Post
I'm ready to start bending landing gear wire and found that my du-bro wire bender isn't big enough to handle 4mm diameter steel rod. Is a bench vise, propane torch and big hammer the only alternative? In the past I found that this method doesn't give what you would call an accurate and neat bend.
I have a wire-bender. I made it myself using a block of steel, dowel rod and a couple of drilled/tapped holes to hold a bolt.

I dont have a picture handy but a quick search on the net shows very similar benders. These photo's are pretty much self explanatory:

There's even one made of wood;

Not sure which wires you are bending for the LG- on mine I have an aluminum main gear. Did yours come with an aluminum gear or do you have to bend your own?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FRMYFG5G1KD067A.MEDIUM.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	1026041   Click image for larger version

Name:	a5318554-111-Micromark%20Wire%20Bender.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	1026049  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.