AC Supply LiPo Charger - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2004, 05:44 PM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Marc B

Total Props: 0
AC Supply LiPo Charger

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Can anyone recommend an affordable Lipo Charger that uses either both AC/DC or just AC. The only one I've seen so far is the Hobbico Mk II
(1- 3S Lipo). I've got my eye on the Apache 2500 Lipo Charger, it's cheap, but it is DC only...

I already own a Pirahna Peak-Detect for my Nicd's and Nimh, and would prefer not to buy another charger that does all three types of batteries.

Thanks for the advice.

BigBreeze is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:17 PM   #2
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
I have the Triton charger (not cheep) and is DC only but a friend of mine made me 12v power supply from an old computer power supply case! (cheep)

Considering a cheep power supply, you could buy any charger you want and use it off the AC current via the power supply unit so as not to limit you to only a select few chargers.

Just an idea I thought you might like to consider.
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:55 PM   #3
Claude Paradis
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C
# of RCs: 20+

I went with the Hobbico MKII field charger and recycled an old computer power supply to get the 12v DC needed. It works great!

Besides, any old wall transformer from an old radio or other electronics device which gives between 600 mAh and 1.5 mAh at 12 volts will work too.

Don't go out and buy a power supply. Look around your house. I can almost guarantee you will find something suitable. It is right under your nose. (computer speaker adapter, laptop power supply, video camera power supply/charger, old radio/CD player power supply, cordless drill charger power supply, old nintendo/sega power supply ...). Just read the label on the wall transformer unit. Cut the wires to remove the plug. crimp on some new plug ends of your choice. Voila! (you might want to make sure it isn't plugged into the wall jack before you cut the end off )
Claude Paradis is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:23 PM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor

Thanks guys,

I never even knew you could do something like this.... You learn stuff every day!

My dad's an electrician, so I guess he'd be the perfect guy to ask heh! I'l have him rig me up something neat!!

Old 12-15-2004, 03:27 PM   #5
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: John A.
Radio of choice:
Airtronics 2.4
# of RCs: 12

The new Accu-Cycle Elite from Hobbico is both AC and DC, a handy thing, plus you can charge two (even different) batteries at the same time. It has the settings for Li-Po's. Good luck, Dzl
If it doesn't stink, it's not a diesel.
Dzlstunter is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:45 PM   #6
RCC Senior Contributor

Thanks guys.

Can you tell me if this will work? I found the "Battery Tender" that I clip onto my motorcycle battery during the off-season. It keeps a trickle charge on the battery, and says it is 750 maH 12V DC Output. That's the highest amperage i could find in the house. The Apachee says it needs between 14-15V for 3S Lipos? Do I need more than 12V from this battery tender? or should I run down to Radio Shack and pick up something there!?

Am I missing something??!!

Sorry for my ignorance. I have practically no experience or knowledge in the area of electronics.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.