WWI in Europe - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Combat Discuss Aerial Combat.

Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2004, 08:23 PM   #1
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
WWI in Europe

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
We aren't the only ones giving WWI combat a go. There's a small group of WWII scale combat guys in southern Germany and Austria doing WWI demos. Gert Konig has sent me an email describing the latest demo in Laar, Germany in November. An EIII, a DRI and SE5flew one round before the wind became too strong to fly (50 km). To reduce the risk of a midair the three had to fly a circuit pattern and attacking pilots had to approach an opponents streamer from behind. Pilots and spectators were thrilled with the show. WWI contests are planned for Poland and the Czech Republic in 2005. Airplanes are 1/8 scale like ours but max power is .15 two stroke or .30 four stroke. They are underpowered and challenging to fly but can still tow a 15 meter streamer.
Bent is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:30 AM   #2
Cross Check
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dave F

Total Props: 9

"Verrry innterresting!"...(My Col. Klink impression, from Hogan's Heros)

I'm guessing a .30 four stroke would be about the power of a .25 but could handle more prop. Heavier too, for the short nose radial designs. Would sound great.

The 'parade method' of streamer cutting would be practical for demos. I think the fewer planes up at a time is the best way to avoid midairs. (say 4 planes max..?) We'll have to try different methods to see what works best.

WW1's seem to attract the wind...hmmm. ( I think 50km/hr was the average at the Dawn Patrol...)

I like the 45ft.(15M) streamers. I think my Spad VII could handle it... 45ft. of streamer hanging of of your wingtip(s) would be a challenge....
The resulting spin (if you induced it rather than fight it) would probably clear it... mabee...

"I knoww nothing.. NUHthingg...!" (Sgt. Shultz...hehehe)

Take care, have fun,

Maac 6437
"the Dicta Boelke Jokeh"
Cross Check is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:36 AM   #3
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: jeff t
Radio of choice:
Specktrum DX18
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 3
WW1 Europe

Gary are they made out of wood? Cause corro I know wont fly on a 15. Sunday I put a 12/4 APC on the DR1 had to open the needle 2 turns but it did turn it and it flew at very scale speed, but still retained its ability to turn, loop, and roll. The sound was cool too as it is only turning 8500 RPM. As plus the prop is near scale in size. Dont know if it will work in warmer weather though.
Green side is definitely not up
canadianice is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:09 AM   #4
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
They make them out of wood. Max allowable weight is 2000 gr. Don't know what the planes in the photo weigh. Gert's building a DVII and is going to send me all the details when he's finished. He keeps his eye on this forum for the latest from our side of the pond.
Bent is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.