Question about Compressors and HVLP Spray Guns - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Closed Thread
Old 12-15-2004, 11:31 AM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Christopher P.
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 0
Question about Compressors and HVLP Spray Guns

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I know this isn't the best location for this, however I know Jeremy would be hanging out here.

I am thinking about getting a Campbell Hausfeld 2-hp, 4-gallon Air Compressor (on sale at Canadian Tire) and would like to know if the HVLP spray guns will work on it? From my limited research on the net it seems that the HVLP guns are sold with a "turbine" type compressor. I know CT does sell a "touch up" gravity feed gun, which may be good for doing the deck but may not be good for doing fine camouflage work. I could be totally wrong so any and all insights would be appreciated.

I do have a small badger air brush with compressor that I got from the local art supply store 5 years ago I just thought I would upgrade.
rubbie is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:06 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
I doubt the small compressor will feed a true HVLP gun (full size). I spray furniture for a living (lacquers, stains, etc) and am currently using DeVilbiss and Graco HVLP systems (pressure fed).

Remember the HV in HVLP means "high volume" - of air that is, the paint material is atomised with a high volume of lower pressure (10psi) air than in a traditional gun where high pressure air (35 to 65 psi) is used.

The HVLP guns (talking the non-turbine ones) need a compressor that can supply usually about 10 to 14 scfm. I doubt the smaller compressors will provide a steady 3 or 4... you may be able to spray but not for long and the compressor will be running steady.

If you are talking about a touch up gun that will use a lot less air.

The best thing is to choose a GUN FIRST and get the necessary compressor to run it (the gun tech literature will say what cubic feet per minute needed to spray).

Many mistakenly buy a small compressor and then realise it is not enough volume of air to runan HVLP gun.

Just my advice/opinion...
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.