getting out of flying and into floating - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Boat Discussion Discuss RC Boats, submarines & hovercrafts in electric or nitro.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:02 AM   #1
Planedude
RCC Apprentice

I am: Dan B
Radio of choice:
Hitech
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0
getting out of flying and into floating

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
So I'm trying to get out of flying (to many crashs) and into floating, like boats. I find myself with some extra stuff like engines and servos. I was Mayne thinking my first boat could be a flat bottom swamp boat with a engine and prop for propulsion.

Ideas?
Planedude is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:45 AM   #2
Crash alot
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: James S
Radio of choice:
Futaba Super 7/ 9 CAPs/FrSky X9E
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 1
Re: getting out of flying and into floating

Fly slower planes!!
Crash alot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:43 AM   #3
floyd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 5

It takes years of practice before most people stop crashing. Even after getting your wings you still need to be cautious and know your limits. Its not easy flying a plane. 99.9 percent of crashes are pilot error in some form or another. I don't know if you joined a club or passed a wings test. The two maneuvers that will teach you how to be a better pilot are round and square eights. In my opinion if you can't do these two maneuvers you shouldn't be flying without a buddy box. They will teach you proper control of the airplane. In 30 years of instructing I've had one student that was a natural pilot. He was a heavy equipment operator with sensitive hydraulic machinery. If you join a club and get on a buddy box you shouldn't be crashing all the time. Also I've seen guys that crash often and should realize the hobby is not for everyone. If I crashed all the time I would give it up, as it would be no fun. You need to fly as much as you can to be a good pilot. I try to fly 10 hours a week. If you fly 10 minutes a week your not improving your skills at all. Cheers Floyd
floyd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:12 PM   #4
hugh m
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Hugh M
Radio of choice:
Multiplex

Total Props: 2

One of the things I have noticed is that a lot of newcomers want to move away from their primary trainer too fast.
Flying something faster and cooler is always attractive but you should be able to screw holes in the sky with your trainer before you move on.
I notice your join date is this year..... If you have just started flying this year as well, you may want to spend some more time on a trainer cord as floyd says cause it does take a lot of practice.
Try not to be too discouraged. RC in 3 dimensions is way more challenging, and rewarding than in 2 dimensions.
All the best
Hugh

fragor ergo fabrico
hugh m is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:49 PM   #5
DO335
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planedude View Post
So I'm trying to get out of flying (to many crashs) and into floating, like boats.

Ideas?
Don't do it!

Boats sink.
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:57 PM   #6
Planedude
RCC Apprentice

I am: Dan B
Radio of choice:
Hitech

Well OK,

If I was staying in the Hobby I would have to learn from scratch, as almost all my habits that I had were bad ones. Big if here... I was going to start flying again it would have to be on a .40 sized trainer. I do enjoy building more then flying so it would be a kit.

Also need a new transmitter, as my old one just doesn't work anymore.

Could anybody point me in the right direction, in regards to a quality kit, maybe someone on this site has one they don't need.
Planedude is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:02 PM   #7
floyd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh m View Post
One of the things I have noticed is that a lot of newcomers want to move away from their primary trainer too fast.
All the best Hugh
Most trainer planes that my students mastered got modified so they flew better. The Nexstar got the wing tube straightened out to make it a better flying plane. Same with most trainers, take the dihedral out of the wing for a improved plane. Just a tip for anyone flying a Nexstar trainer, add a Higley heavy hub and the plane will turn much better. I flew lots of them and always thought the CG was way off. Cheers Floyd
floyd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:03 AM   #8
gixerfien
RCC Pro Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: cory b
Radio of choice:
spektrum DX9, DX4S
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 11

this is my 5th summer flying and I still put em in lol

I suppose doing tic tocs with the helis 12 inches off the ground and trying to trim the farm fields doesn't help any haha
Goblin 380, Mini Vbar, Xnova 3215, YGE 90LV, BK 3001's and BK 5005, Switchblades
Goblin 700 comp(BNIB)
Blade 450x, every lynx/blade upgrade available--PARTING OUT(CHECK CLASSIFIEDS)
HK Clik and RC Foam Factory Click super-lite(BNIB)
Losi Mini 8ight--Leopard LBP2838, HW 10BL60, BK 5001, Shumacher Rally's+Pins, Rhino 1050mah 40c
gixerfien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:02 AM   #9
kush61
RCC Apprentice

I am: AndrewK
Radio of choice:
DX8
# of RCs: 000

Back in High School an Art's teacher had a proverb...
THE SOONER YOU MAKE THE FIRST 5000 MISTAKES, THE SOONER YOU WON'T MAKE THEM AGAIN!

cHEERS
kush61 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:52 PM   #10
bensidus197217
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: jim w
Radio of choice:
futaba

Total Props: 9

I flew helis got frustrated with them got rid of them over and over now I have one I can fly. I also a variety of scratch built boats that I love building and one RTF sailboat. The sailboat I would have to say is the most interesting and skill testing of the boats. I took it out the other day for the first time and fell in love with the experience so you can bet I'll take it out every chance I get. So yes keep the planes and get a boat that way you can have the best of both worlds.
bensidus197217 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.