Custom Header/Muffler for a Saito 100 ? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2004, 09:53 PM   #1

Total Props: 1
Custom Header/Muffler for a Saito 100 ?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I don't know if one is made so I'll describe what my problem is maybe someone can help:

Putting together a GP Ryan STA-M with a Saito 100. The engine with stock muffler won't fit inside the cowl (without hacking).

The plans used an OS91 four with an optional inline header (OSMG2624 72109500 Exhaust Manifold-Inside 70.91S).

Does anyone know if a similar setup exists for this saito? I can't find one (which doesn't mean it doesn't exist).

voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:16 AM   #2
RCC Contributor
I am: Joe M

Total Props: 0
Hi ,I made one.I found a old halagen stand up lamp and took it apart and found out that the bottom screw/bolt had the same size hole and the right thread that the 100 saito uses.I got the end turned and squared off just like the saito's header.than cut a small piece off.I than took a 1/2 90 degree brass elbow and drilled out one of the end and left the other end to attach a silicone muffler extention .The other part of the threaded rod went for the muffler.I got the brass and the rod acetalin soldered,at work,than ground off most of the extra brass to make it lighter. I used a piece of3/8 silicon muffler extention to connect from the brass header to the threaded rod thats in the muffler and I have the muffler facing behind and down behind the engine.This is for my 1/7 topflight mustang.I don't have a camera to put pictures so I can't.
You could also thread a 90 degree brass elbow or find a machine shop that could do it and than just but the threaded header and cut and fit ,put the lock nuts on away you go.I haven't tested it yet ,but the welder at work said he had to get the brass and rod pretty hot for the the solder to hold.I hope I explained this clear enough.
hope this helps,I don't know why saito hasen't made a 90 degree header yet,but they need to.

Joey-snaproll is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:08 AM   #3
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16

Try here..

Courtesy my Yak 54 Bretherin on another board!
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:37 PM   #4

Total Props: 1
Originally Posted by scaleguy

Try here..

Courtesy my Yak 54 Bretherin on another board!
I saw that on the other posting. HOWEVER, having to buy that (at $60 U.S.) PLUS their muffler is more than I want to spend.

Funny, I eventually found what is known as a flexible exhaust (with or without nip) for this engine.

Remember the other thread about the U.S. $ and their prices vs our prices? Well, the U.S. price for this piece of metal was either $40 or $42. The usual suspects here in Canuckland wanted $90 for the same thing. And you know they would be buying it at current rates as its probably not a commonly-requested item and would have to order it in (maybe from the same guy I found it listed at ). I wonder: is their involvement in shipping, customs, etc worth a more than doubling in price?

I believe they need to make a fair profit. We also must patronize local shops (not just the big ones on the net--big? who knows if they are big).

I know one web seller in particular who works out of his home (ie his basement). Then there are others who have real brick and mortar establishments and can still offer lower prices than others. Maybe they offer lower prices to drive the small guys out then up go the prices to higher than they were before when the littler guy is no more.

All I know is, I'm cutting the cowl to fit the corner of the muffler (it will extend about less than 1/2" outside the cowl). The stinger has it's own scale exit hole and is not a problem.

Thanks for the link.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.