suggestions on .40 glow or equivalent electric setup - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 08-12-2016, 10:04 PM   #1
Planedude
RCC Apprentice

I am: Dan B
Radio of choice:
Hitech
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0
suggestions on .40 glow or equivalent electric setup

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
So I'm about to build a trainer (eagle 2) and would like hear some suggestions on a .40 size glow engine, and I'm open to electric setup as well. I don't know squat about electric engines and know just enough about glow engines to use and tune them.

I'm all ears.
Planedude is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:35 PM   #2
Derek Hanna
RCC Noob

I am: Derek H
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 7

Re: suggestions on .40 glow or equivalent electric setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planedude View Post
So I'm about to build a trainer (eagle 2) and would like hear some suggestions on a .40 size glow engine, and I'm open to electric setup as well. I don't know squat about electric engines and know just enough about glow engines to use and tune them.

I'm all ears.
I've got a few dated 40 2-strokes, but the only one I intend to use again is a sweet running Como 40 that flew in my Kadet when in this hobby in the early 80's.
I'm currently running an OS 52 4stroke "surpass" and am amazed with the performance in an LT 40 as I just got back into the hobby this year following a 30 year hiatus. (Moved to full scale.)

Electric may be easier if you just want to concentrate on the flying aspects and reduce the risk of dead stick landings from tuning / fuel / engine issues.
For for me it's the total experience of listening to the four stroke sound as the plane is on final approach that makes it worthwhile. I put the 2-strokes in 2nd place for this reason.
For safety and operability, the electric probably wins hands down, but I've yet to go that route. They're also better for minimal noise, which may open up alternative flying sites.
Take your pick!
Derek Hanna is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:59 AM   #3
davidmc36
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: David C
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 46

Just for an example of what can be done with electric:

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...odID=EFLM4046A

Same motor but can be set up in many ways to suit different planes.

Scorpion make some of the best motors:

http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalo...II-3026-710KV/

Those would be just general ideas. Start with a propellor choice that will drive the plane at desired speed at certain RPM and work out the components from there back to the battery.

http://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc.php?ecalc&lang=en
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:03 AM   #4
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 35

I have built the original Eagle 63 and the Eagle II and they were excellent trainers. Easy to assemble, strong and durable.

Both were powered by different versions of OS 40 engines while the latter was my engine test bed for different makes and sizes. The mount plate made this relatively easy and quick; a swap to a different powerplant could be accomplished in as little as 10 minutes, (the programming of throttle end points taking almost as long as the physical mounting).

In the original Eagle the basic OS 40FP bushing engine worked fine if the weight was kept close to their specs. With all the mods I made to the latter such as tailwheel, float attach and flaperons the weight went up so more power helped performance.

As mentioned, I used this for comparisons and the OS 40FSR, (IMO their best 40 class) their 40SF, an EVO 46, GMS 47, Tower 46, Fox 50BB and ASP 52 examples of other 40 class engines tested.

From these I found the 40FSR by far the best combi since the power compared to or exceeded anything else and fuel consumption was in some cases half, even at full power. The 40SF seemed not too far behind. At moderate throttle I could expect at least half the 10oz tank still there at the end of a 9-10 minute flight.

True, the 40FSR and SF are long in the tooth and out of production, although they still come available for sale. There was one NIB FSR here on RCC not too long ago. Critical parts such as bearings and rings are also out there so if in good shape the normal wear items can be replaced.

It's all personal preference. That is not to say this limits your choices as any good performing 40 class should provide you with enough pull for normal flight regimes. Same for electric as there are systems of comparable power output. However, I found if you wanted a long session of flying you will need some extra batteries or support equipment such as a field charger to keep you going. Even though I have that for the electric helis and some amphibs such as the Polaris, my existing nitro gear often makes the choice to remain that way.

ps. I don't normally bash any particular makes in public, but of the engines I mentioned I would strongly recommend avoiding the GMS 47 and the Tower 46 clone. Unless their QC has been greatly improved their running qualities were poor and fuel consumption far exceeding any others tested. In fact, you could almost guarantee a dead stick until at least broken in but the fuel consumption problems, along with some other issues remained.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DigitalCameraTransfer 679.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	951.6 KB
ID:	1031769   Click image for larger version

Name:	DigitalCameraTransfer 901.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	1031777  
Old 08-24-2016, 01:05 PM   #5
Hubert 1
RCC Apprentice

I am: Hubert F
# of RCs: 7

You really can't go wrong with OS. I had relly good success with two of their 46 engines.

Electric or nitro is all personal prefrence, I prefer nitro for the sound, others like the clean and simple electrics.
Hubert 1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.