fixing small cracks, plus bad epoxy - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:48 PM   #1
Hubert 1
RCC Apprentice

I am: Hubert F
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 0
fixing small cracks, plus bad epoxy

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello all, I am fairly new to this forum, although I have been flying for a bit less than a year now. My luck, has not been as good as it could be. I started with a lt 40, but the wing came off way up in the air ( I guess I will do a better inspection after a cartwheel next time So I bought the avistar elite, and on the second flight I stalled it after a bounce, and made a small crack in the tail about 1 inch long near the edge. So I fixed it with a bunch of pinholes and thin ca, and now one month later, it is cracked in the same spot. Any ideas how to fix this? I was thinking either trying to put epoxy in the crack, or cut the balsa off in that spot and epoxy in some new balsa. I could also crack the crack completely, that would make it easier to fix with epoxy, but I hate to break things more than they are already broken. Any ideas?

Also, I was fixing some minor damage in the wing, and used 4 hour epoxy. After 2 days, it was still sticky, after 10 days, it is hard, but still sticky. In order to remove it I would have to use a knife, as it holds strong; I can't move it with my fingers. It turns out that the epoxy is bad, I mixed perfectly equal proportions, and mixed well for a long time, and after 8 hours it is soft, sticky, and I could peel it of of thee plastic I mixed it on. Should I leave the stuff on the wing, or would it be better to remove it?

Thanks, Hubert
Hubert 1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:22 PM   #2
RAMJET
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
JR 12x
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 15
Re: fixing small cracks, plus bad epoxy

can you post a picture of the damage you may be able to glue in triangle stock . likely had poor quality epoxy some brands are terrible. epoxy should dry hard enough to sand in 24hr. always do a test mix before using any epoxy (wear a mask if sanding epoxy, don't sand in the house ). I only use west system epoxy . regards
Old 08-13-2016, 10:44 PM   #3
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 10

Before you do anything put the airplane outside with the epoxy joint facing directly into the sun. the heat from the sun and UV's will harden the epoxy sometimes. If it doesn't work within a day forget it.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:55 PM   #4
CF105
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Kevin Drayson
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: n+1

Total Props: 9

Another good "poor man's curing oven" for epoxy is in your car on a hot, sunny day. It's not good to leave pets or small children in your car in those conditions, but it really helps the epoxy cure!
CF105 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:31 PM   #5
Hubert 1
RCC Apprentice

Here is a picture. The place where the crack is slides into the fuse, so it can't be any "fatter" then it is now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20160814_132814_1471195765367.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	1031529  
Old 08-14-2016, 03:43 PM   #6
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 10

Crappy picture
Old 08-14-2016, 04:33 PM   #7
Hubert 1
RCC Apprentice

I realize...

Probkem is, I cant figure out how to post the picture from my desktop. That way I coukd use an actual camera. This one was with my tablet, as I cant put pictures from my camera to my tab...

I will try to post a better pic tonight.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:44 PM   #8
CF105
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Kevin Drayson
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: n+1

Total Props: 9

It was good enough for me to understand

I see what looks like glue stains (CA I expect) around the crack. If you're comfortable doing so, I would suggest cutting out the balsa around the crack and replacing it with fresh wood. That would be the most durable repair.

Another option would be to apply a fiberglass patch to either side of the part to reinforce it. Otherwise just adding epoxy or CA to the existing split is only going to create a bond between the old adhesive and the new.
CF105 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:15 PM   #9
Hubert 1
RCC Apprentice

Yeah, I guess If I was to use epoxy I would have to use CA debonder.

I could epoxy the crack and cout out a bit off the top, than epoxy in a pice of something strong, but thatwould be tricky. I think this is what I will try to do, I can always cut it off if it does not turn out.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:39 PM   #10
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 152

I would re-open the break so that you could force epoxy into the gap and then close it back up.

Then use a small drill the same diameter of a toothpick and drill into the edge of the balsa on an angle so that it crosses into the other side of the break. Do 2 and also epoxy the toothpicks into the hole. Will make a solid joint once the epoxy has cured. See picture red is one toothpick and blue is the other.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Elevator fix.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	1034041  

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.