Buying advice! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 08-15-2016, 11:44 PM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: Jock M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0
Buying advice!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!

I’m total noob to RC helicopters – I had a couple of RC cars back in the day but always dreamt about getting a bird and flying an RC copter. I just never had the time or money to indulge. Anyways, long story short I’ve got a bit more time on my hands at the moment and a bit more money than usual so thought I’d splash out and treat myself to a new rotary friend.

I’ve been looking into buying RC Helicopters online but there are so many options it’s a bit overwhelming. I have a bunch of questions that you guys might be able to help with. I had a look on the forum but couldn’t see any answers already posted. Forgive me if I’m rehashing old ground here:

What am I looking for in a good beginner heli? I don’t want anything too complex or expensive until I’m more experienced but equally I don’t want anything so basic it’s useless to train on.

What are the pros and cons of the various fuel sources? I’m leaning towards electric but if there are benefits to glow fuel then I’m not adverse to that either.

Finally I have been looking at the GT450L as a potential starter. Anyone have experience with this heli?

Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SKU180426-12.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	1032505  

Last edited by FlyingScotsman; 08-17-2016 at 11:10 PM.
FlyingScotsman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:12 AM   #2
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Ed
Radio of choice:
# of RCs:

Total Props: 8
Re: Buying advice!

If you're planning to learn on your own.. then I wouldn't recommend a 450. Teaching yourself on a collective pitch bird of this size is often intimidating (which can sour the experience).. plus it's getting into a size that can cause some damage when you lose control.

If you're taking it to a field and/or you have an instructor.. then I'd say you should start with a 450 or larger.

For smaller helis, I would stay away from coax. I think they teach bad habits related to stick management as new fliers tend to be too aggressive on the controls.

That leaves smallish Collective or Fixed Pitch helis... My preference would be a tame CP heli that you can grow into... and even skilled pilots like to have a practice bird for the back yard.

What radio do you have?
twistedge is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:53 AM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13

I bought a series of small heli's, my favourite is the WL911. I got several from in China. They come with everything for about $70.00 shipped. If you go to the bottom of the page there are real assessments of the product. I had to order some parts and they came in seven days with free shipping. I fly mine around the living room. When you see something on line add up all the costs then check Banggood for their price.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:32 AM   #4
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 5

I wanted to try a small simple Heli so I picked up a Blade SR120 to play with. I bought it used and seen the seller fly it before I made the purchase. I paid $80.00 with the remote and three batteries for the Heli. It has a fixed pitch and I find its great for learning. I fly it in my basement and in the back yard when its not windy. Most parts are still for sale and you can buy just the Heli for around $50.00 without the remote if you want a spare. They retailed for $200.00 brand new but you can find used ones on Kijiji. Whatever you buy, if its used make sure that the seller shows you that it fly's. Cheers Floyd
floyd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:19 PM   #5
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

A good small heli and a sim are best places to start.

Even better is to find a club near you that has helicopter fliers that can help you with the setup and basic instruction.
RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums:

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:10 AM   #6
RCC Noob
I am: Brian M
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9x
# of RCs: 16

I personally have one of these Heli's and they are not for beginners, they are very fast and demand a lot of experience to fly. They are a awesome heli for an advance helicopter pilot . If you are looking for a good, cheap and well built heli you will not find a better one for the price anywhere else for an advance pilot but start out with a small heli and advance from there.
livingblades is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:11 PM   #7
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: jim w
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 9

My vote goes with the small heli first, for two reasons. First when you hit something it won't destroy what you hit unless it's a plant or a hundred year old family treasure passed down from generation to generation. Second they can take some pretty good crashes and still be reusable.
bensidus197217 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:23 PM   #8
RCC Noob
I am: Graham
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 7

I would buy the sim first and start to learn right away with no real disappointments.

Visit a club and you will learn so much by talking with members.

It is hard to learn all that is needed to make a solid decision from these messages as the sport is very dynamic.
Gray is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:00 PM   #9
RCC Apprentice
I am: Michael F
# of RCs: 1

I started with a sim and a small quad. it gave me great orientation benefit. then i have worked myself to a blade 300x i am still learning.

this is a way different kind of rc hobby. you are working with a device that works solely on working against gravity.

once you have understand and master that thought, it comes pretty natural.

good luck
mgfiest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:28 PM   #10
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dave Z
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 17

Personally, I think the bigger, the better (to a point) as it's easier to see, but at the same time, you don't want a hot rod that is beyond your control. Consider something like a Hirobo Shuttle Plus 2. They're cheap, large enough for decent visibility, super easy to fix, easy to fly, capable of some basic aerobatics, you can get it in either glow or electric and is easily convertible between the two.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights will make an airplane.

My Heli: Futaba 18MZ 2x(JR GSR260Z Sports FBL, Zenoah G26H, Futaba CGY750 Gyro, Futaba BLS-351 cyclic, BLS-251 tail, Futaba BLS-451 Throttle. Gryphon voltage regulator).

Last edited by HAL9KPCM; 10-23-2016 at 01:28 PM.
HAL9KPCM is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.