covering a sig something extra - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 12-25-2004, 07:09 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
covering a sig something extra

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I just received a something extra kit for Christmass . After reading through the instructions, which by the way appear to be very clear (of course I haven't started the assembly yet). The one thing that made me think though was that they say to completely build the tail feathers and then cover. I have always had trouble trying to get a good looking seam at a square corner (90 degree). Has any one had experience with this that they could share. Would it be better to cover and then assemble?
If you do cover after the stabilizer and fin are together how do you manage to get a nice looking seam?
bentwing is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-25-2004, 07:34 PM   #2
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Jim Brown
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 4
I've built several kits that were covered after the tail had been fully assembled. Here's how I do it.

For the first surface, I butt the covering up snug to the surface that is 90 degrees to the surface that I'm covering. Get it well ironed on. Then, for the surface that is 90 degrees to the surface I just covered, I place the covering on so that it will overlap the already covered surface for about 1/8". I iron that on starting about two or three inches from the corner and work my way into the corner. To finish off the corner, I use a trim iron to carefully work the covering into the corner and then onto the overlapped bit. The trick is not to allow the bit of covering that overlaps to adhere until the rest of the covering has been well worked into the corner.

I do the surfaces in this order:
  • Horizontal stab bottom
    Vertical stab left and right
    Horizontal stab top

This method works for me, but is by no means the only method. Hopefully someone else will explain their method and give you a choice.

I might also suggest that you glue a couple of pieces of scrap together and practice first.

JimBrown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:10 PM   #3
RCC Contributor

I agree with you, I like to cover the tailfeathers before I install. I've also covered the tailfeathers after installation, both using the method Jim mentioned and another with a slight variation.

Iron on a small piece only in the corner with about 1/8" overlap on each surface BEFORE you cover the main areas. Then just butt-up the covering to the corner you've already covered and iron down normally. Don't make the corner piece too large or it'll be harder to apply and you'll get bubbles when you cover over it.

Hope that makes sense.

Both have worked for me, but I'm no pro.

waynek is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-25-2004, 09:56 PM   #4

Total Props: 1

EXACT same question so enjoy.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:39 PM   #5
RCC Apprentice

Thanks for the input. I think I will try assembling then covering, after practicing the technique suggested.
bentwing is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:23 PM   #6
Claude Paradis
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C
# of RCs: 20+

I cut a strip of covering about 3/8" wide. I lay that into the corner. 1/2 of it on the horizontal stab, 1/2 of it to the vert stab or fuse. Then go ahead and cover your tail feathers, over lapping onto the strip that is already ironed into the corner. It works very well for me.

The only part I seem to struggle with is the joint of the LE of the horizontal stab and the fuselage. For that I cut diamond shaped peice of covering and iron into the corner, overlapping over the 3/8" strip, and prior to the main covering. Even then, I seem to always end up with a pinhole at this location.

If you like building and are not getting out of the hobby anytime soon, the 50 page booklet "Tom's Techniques" is an excellent reference. I have it and highly recommend adding it to the edge of your workbench.
Claude Paradis is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.