Futaba 401 Gyro how do I tune this thing? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 09-16-2016, 08:04 PM   #21
bensidus197217
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: jim w
Radio of choice:
futaba
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 9
Re: Futaba 401 Gyro how do I tune this thing?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Thanks Cougar. I think maybe I didn't describe what was happening properly. The flashing was random in other words no set pattern very erratic and would start after lift off. The gyro flashed like it was supposed to on the ground but would flash erratically sometimes a bit during spool up and sometimes I could see it during liftoff. I have a feeling it may be a loose power plug so When I get parts I'll try to tighten up the connections.
bensidus197217 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:47 PM   #22
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 35

If you can, do one check for me. Power it up but don't add throttle. Move the rudder stick and see if that has the gyro light flash.

Also, ensure you are powering the gyro with your Tx in Heading Hold mode. Otherwise it will be in RATE and will keep any turn rate it sees at the beginning of each frame.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:02 PM   #23
bensidus197217
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
futaba

OK Gary I'll do that this weekend. Thanks

Old 10-11-2016, 12:13 AM   #24
bensidus197217
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
futaba

I changed the gyro zapped the wires loosely and the new plug has more resistance to plug together so better contact. I was going to solder the wires but that may come later. Now I'm waiting for a new tail rotor shaft to get rid of that vibration, hopefully it will be the answer.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:35 AM   #25
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

A bit confused by your last post. Can you go into a bit more detail?
Old 10-11-2016, 07:36 PM   #26
bensidus197217
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
futaba

Zap strapped the wires so they were not tight lined at all, changed gyros and the new one felt like a firmer contact while plugging in and the tail rotor shaft is slightly bent. Once my parts arrive I'll be able to tell if that was the answer to my problem.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:37 PM   #27
bensidus197217
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
futaba

The heli is behaving better now but I have two questions. The limit and delay dials on the 401 what should they be set at? What speed should my tail servo be you how they are rated in movement per second or something like that?
Old 04-29-2017, 05:56 PM   #28
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

LIMIT is pretty simple and I think I may have covered that in my original thread.

With the gyro in RATE mode and servo centered and arm mounted so 90 degrees to the boom you adjust the clamps so the pitch slider on the tail rotor shaft is in the middle of the travel range. Once there you can adjust the LIMIT pot so that full rudder stick deflection has the slider stop JUST SHORT of hitting mechanical limits, (either end or the pitch range) and binding.

This will be the absolute extreme range the servo can move, regardless of your stick deflection or gyro command and prevents binding.

NOTE: You want your travel limits on the Tx set to max for this. The gyro will control how far the servo moves.

With DELAY it is a bit different and like tweaking GAIN will take test flights to optimize. This tunes for servo speed and can then take max advantage of its performance.

Gyro gain can and will cause tail wag if too high and will be evident right off the ground.

On the other hand DELAY tends to cause tail oscillations at the end of a heading change when you release a rudder input and it tries to stop the heli at that point. Seen as a bounce at the end of your turns.

You want to start with it at max and start decreasing slowly till you see that bounce and then back it off a bit.

Last edited by Cougar429; 04-29-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:56 PM   #29
bensidus197217
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
futaba

Thanks Cougar! What speed should my servo be, what is best?
Old 04-30-2017, 08:00 AM   #30
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Generally the thinking was as fast as possible, but unless you plan to do blistering 3D reliability is my prime motivator. Many servos have excellent speed and torque, but for long-term use you may want to go with a dedicated or purpose-built tail servo that can tolerate the high duty-cycle use for that app.

I used to rework Futaba 9650's with 9257 center gears to take advantage of the speed, (approx .07sec) this gave me and the ability to run it at 6V. The speed was increased at the slight sacrifice in torque, (there have been MANY arguments regarding the fact these may have had identical cores so no need to mod, so just take the specs rather than the source). I saw a lot of step-down setups that allowed you to run the rest of the flight system at 6V while the tail servo would run lower, (many are only rated to 4.5-5V) but I was not impressed with their current ratings. Besides, I was always of the thought why add more components than you really need.

Anyway, to answer your question, .1 - .15 would work fine with faster having some advantages. The reason I am not pushing this spec is that main and tail RPM make a huge difference in control authority. Same with the selection of tail blades. Many stock are far too flexible so will simply bend rather than work the tail.

ps. Digital is the way to go since the update and resolution are so much better. Just be aware this makes them current hogs when compared to analog servos and will require a much healthier and stronger power system.

Last edited by Cougar429; 04-30-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.