.46 glow to electric need help - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 08-23-2016, 08:44 PM   #11
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 16
Re: .46 glow to electric need help

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Some good info but guys we have to remember we have a newbie to brushlees electric motor technology so have to gear our recommendations and terminology accordingly until he can come up to speed. Terminology that we understand will be foreign to someone just starting. Like if someone said Ecalc to me 7 years ago I would have said
sorry I don't eat that kind of cereal .... lol .

As suggested lots of reading , learning and questions are in order . While I agree that
Hobby King can be a good source of cheap stuff ; I have found that their claims to performance can be a little out in left field. No difference between buying quality glow engines and cheap stuff.... the better performance and fewer troubles follow with quality stuff as with support stuff such as chargers.

Buying cheap components and having to have to buy again to replace shortly there after
because of failure or because they don't work as recommended; does not make components cheap. See it all the time. True , what may work for one may cause headaches for others.

Am willing to make recommendations on reliable setups but not on line as that starts
name brand wars I have found.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:46 AM   #12
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 59

Just looking back over this thread... I think Planedude has hit overload and gone into hiding. Don't really blame him!
Old 08-25-2016, 04:46 PM   #13
michaely
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JR ss and 8103, FrSky Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planedude View Post
Thank you very much Cougar,

I'm in between building a trainer ( Pt-40) or the Goldberg eagle II. Both planes weight in at 5.5-6 lbs. Goldberg has a little better wingloading of around 15oz/sq". With the pT-40 at 18oz/sq".

Flight requirements would be to gently fly around the sky performing the most basic aerobatics while I relearn to fly.
Here's a link to a build and flight thread on electrifying (and further modifying - extending the nose, lightening. etc. ) the CG Eagle II...... fairly small - 28mm diameter motor - used.

Last edited by Max; 08-28-2016 at 09:42 PM.
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:36 PM   #14
davidmc36
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: David C
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar429 View Post
...15-20 minutes MAY be achievable with a good airframe and very moderate power usage. However, think numbers under 10 would be more realistic....
Sounds pretty reasonable. Most of my conversions fly 10 minutes pretty easy, can get 12-15 with the H9 Twin Otter that takes 5000mah easy in the space available vs 3300 original. On plane that was able to fit a very large battery goes for 20-25, but that is not "typical"
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:45 PM   #15
rome
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Romeo R
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK View Post
Just looking back over this thread... I think Planedude has hit overload and gone into hiding. Don't really blame him!
yap, that happened to me when I first converted to electric, I had information over load, and got more confused. so 1 day went to field and ask the question point blank to the experts on electric, on the direct replacement for glow, with out going to the wattage formula.

So Planedude, hang in there. I think the number on the motors this days are straight forward, with the ESC combination.
maac #38176
sport flyer
rome is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:11 AM   #16
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
HITEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rome View Post
I think the number on the motors this days are straight forward
I so wish that was true!
Old 08-27-2016, 08:27 AM   #17
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.

Total Props: 16

in all my electrics except two, I have used Scorpion and have had excellent performance. on the Innov8Tive Design Website they have a prop chart which is pretty much bang on telling you a lot of information to the point when you under or over prop the motor even when using specific brands of props. Although not a cheap motor they do perform well in a smaller size than others. one of the other non scorpion I a still using with great performance but don't have a brand on it and the other was a HK Turnigy brand that did not perform as advertised and was junked. That's what I call a more expensive item....lol.

Stuck with Castle Creations ESC's and never had a problem of design. just once when float flying and it got dunked and Castle came though with a free repair and return shipping. That's when I call it service, above and beyond. There are others that are good ; that being Eflite I have used in the past for other flyer setups.
If any suggestions wanted for Scorpion installs feel free to PM me.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:22 PM   #18
mawz
RCC Apprentice

I am: Adam Maas
Radio of choice:
Taranis X9D+
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 1

I'm in pretty much the same boat as the OP.

Just acquired a PT-40 airframe. Needs some work but when I've got it sorted, I'll be looking to install an electric power system.

This will be my trainer to start (I fly gliders & e-gliders today, so I'm not a newbie to anything except wheeled takeoff & landing).

The aircraft is 670sq in wing area, 5.5-6lbs target weight, probably will be 6lbs when I complete (I have to tear apart & rebuild the tail because it was out of true, which will add weight).

I'm looking for mellow performance out of the box, with the option of running the next higher cell count battery for somewhat sportier performance/basic aerotow (I have a PZ Ka-8 I'd like to tow with this once I get comfortable)

Initial thoughts are a Power 46 with a 60A ESC on 3S ~3200 for initial use, eventually 4S (I expect to swap props when I change to a higher cell count). That was suggested to me by my LHS.

Comments? Suggestions on a prop?

I'm looking for performance comparable to the .40 sized trainer I learned on in the late 80's (running a late 70's OS .40 2-stroke). Not looking to pull stumps. Want a little pep for basic aerobatics on the higher-cell count battery I plan to switch to once I'm comfortable. No interest in prop hangs, 3D, STOL, etc with this bird.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:52 AM   #19
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
HITEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz View Post
Initial thoughts are a Power 46 with a 60A ESC on 3S ~3200 for initial use, eventually 4S (I expect to swap props when I change to a higher cell count). That was suggested to me by my LHS.

Comments? Suggestions on a prop?
I have a Power 46 and 60amp ESC but have not tried them out yet. Based on my experience with the Power 15 and 25 you will have far more power than you are expecting, should be nearly enough to 3D that plane!

My feeling is to skip the 3 cell, buy the 4 cell and do your power downsize with props only. Much cheaper to experiment with prop sizes than battery sizes and it would be easy to overtax a 3 cell pack with that size motor and ESC.

Get yourself a watt meter and start with the smallest prop recommended for that motor and work your way up to the performance you are happy with.

I'm not familiar with that glider but I do know that a PT40 is a bit quick for 2 meter polyhedral gliders so you may want to consider flaps for towing.

Hope that helps. Merv
Old 09-11-2016, 07:58 AM   #20
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
HITEC

I just looked up your glider - you should be fine with the PT 40 as is. Nice match I would guess!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.