Aerobatics before calling "in the box" - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Aerobatics Scale Aerobatics/IMAC in Canada

Old 08-22-2016, 01:53 PM   #1
Trumpetman
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 32
Aerobatics before calling "in the box"

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
A question came up this past weekend that I wanted to throw out for your opinion. In the Intermediate unknown the first figure started up high and to the left (Schedule B - left to right). Is it a breach of the "no aerobatics" rule to set up for this figure by flying towards the left, rolling inverted and then pushing an outside half loop to get up to starting altitude?

Opinions? Reference to the rule that governs?

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:13 PM   #2
Billpilotca
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Bill T
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Total Props: 8
Re: Aerobatics before calling "in the box"

Hi Gord - interesting question - Scale Aerobatic Rules section 13.5 re allowable maneuvers before calling the box.

Looking at that section there is a specific bullet that reads:
"Half loops up or down (Immelmann or Split S) with only one half roll on entry or exit"

To me what you are describing is an Immelmann with half roll before the half outside loop. My interpretation is that this is allowable.

Personally I would have just done the usual standard Immelmann - i.e. half inside loop with half roll at the top - judges cannot question that as long as there is only one half roll and no more in the maneuver.
Assistant RD NCFR Ontario
NCFR Judging Instructor
Billpilotca is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:52 AM   #3
Trumpetman
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 32

That was my thought as well. It should be allowed since it is just a half roll and a half loop. The rule says nothing about inside or outside loops. One of the guys felt that US judges might take exception and I think he has a point. Even though I think it should be allowed, who wants the hassle of protesting to the contest director when you are immediately asked to land.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:56 PM   #4
Billpilotca
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

I think it is acceptable and consistent with the rules - I could see someone objecting if the pilot wanted to enter inverted for example and did what you described - half roll, half outside loop and then did another half roll at the top to get inverted. That would provoke some concern.

Again I think I would keep it simple and do the half inside loop, half roll at the top - no one can fuss about that.
NCFR Judging Instructor
Old 08-23-2016, 04:03 PM   #5
aceplant00
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Todd M
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7

In the unkonowns I can find posted on the IMAC website it would only seem to make sense that you have to get height somehow. Can't do a 1 1/2 rotation spin unless you are high or there would be a lot of plane pizzas heading home it a trash bag or a lot of lawn darts. Would think a half loop with roll to upright at top would be fine.
When unknowns are handed out is there an allowance to clarify a detail such as this for a contest.
aceplant00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:49 PM   #6
Capcanuck
RCC Apprentice

I am: Lee P
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0

At the Stetsons contest I was judging and we had to wave the next pilot around while we discussed something. The waiting pilot did a full roll on his pass and then an Immelmann I think to go back and start over.
I looked at the other judge and we both knew that this should zero the round but we let him fly and told him afterwards. It's so easy to screw up!
Capcanuck is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:36 PM   #7
Billpilotca
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplant00 View Post
Would think a half loop with roll to upright at top would be fine.
When unknowns are handed out is there an allowance to clarify a detail such as this for a contest.
Hi Todd - That would be a half inside loop with half roll to upright at the top and that is perfectly acceptable i.e. Immelmann.

But don't ever do a full roll on a line before entering the box or you end up in the same situation that Lee cited. By strict letter of the rules that would zero the round. If a Basic or perhaps Sportsman guy did it I would do what Lee did and score the round but warn them (learning experience). But Intermediate and up should know better and get the penalty.

For sure when pilots get Unknowns and are not sure they should ask the more experienced pilots. That's part of the fun of the Saturday night banter i.e. "can I do this or not ?"
NCFR Judging Instructor
Old 08-24-2016, 09:38 PM   #8
Billpilotca
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capcanuck View Post
At the Stetsons contest I was judging and we had to wave the next pilot around while we discussed something. The waiting pilot did a full roll on his pass and then an Immelmann I think to go back and start over.
I looked at the other judge and we both knew that this should zero the round but we let him fly and told him afterwards. It's so easy to screw up!
For sure I agree if the pilot was Basic or perhaps Sportsman - above that they should probably get the hard penalty. We tend to be more lenient in Regional contests and make it a learning experience.

PS - don't ever do it at the US Nats or Worlds or you will zero the round.
NCFR Judging Instructor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.