FrSky Horus Tx first production run being delivered - Page 6 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 09-07-2016, 06:13 PM   #51
JoeT
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: JoeT
Radio of choice:
Was a Futaba, Now a Tyrant with Taranis.
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 8
Re: FrSky Horus Tx first production run being delivered

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
http://www.t9hobbysport.com/horus-ne...p-support-arms

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hours%20TX%20neckstrap%20arms%20fitting.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	1048649  
JoeT is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #52
davidmc36
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: David C
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 44

Zackly, that's what we need
davidmc36 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:55 PM   #53
davidmc36
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I guess CBSA must have been really busy. Arrived with no charges due.

First impressions later.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:57 PM   #54
JoeT
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:

Suggest you update to 1.2.12 asap.

It'll fix a bunch of problems including a dangerous one which rescales the trims based on rates and expo.

Last edited by JoeT; 09-12-2016 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:15 PM   #55
davidmc36
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Was hoping to be able to be living advertisement for FrTX as a polished OS that attracts Non Open Tx users could be a market tipping point but at this time it appeats OTX is the more mature OS. FrTX is just too Bleeding Edge at this time.

Open Source was my first choice all along and was quite attentive to development cycle when at first it seemed unsure if OTx would be usable/supported by hardware.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:22 PM   #56
JoeT
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:

I've been on Otx since the changing from 1.2.02 on my Dev Unit. Otx is very stable and works really well.

Frtx is ok actually, since the 0415 ixjt flash its been stable. There was only one glitch during development and that was with 1.2.04 now that the latest bugs have been fixed in 1.2.12 it's really good.

Frtx is for people that come from prebuilt menu based systems and it does the job really well.

The problem is, the units were shipped with an untested 1.2.06 hence the recommendation of the upgrade.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:07 PM   #57
davidmc36
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Having a short look at Logic Switch menu just may peak my interest enough to do some bench flying with it to see how powerful it is. Flying is off the available time table for rest of fall so no point in being in a rush.

Liable to be ready by the time I get airborne again.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:37 AM   #58
davidmc36
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

First Impressions. Opinions and Facts.

Some brand and model specific comparisons will be made to try and establish at least a few recognizable baselines.

Carry case is top end for the hobby. Latches are tiny bit sloppy when closed, not "pinched tight".

Foam blocks on lid meant to hold radio snug are a bit small/poorly placed and left one install was not executed properly so radio was slightly displaced when opened. No damage observed, foam interior was more than adequate to protect from slight shift during transport.

Remainder of items in case had no provision on lid to keep them in slots so were loose in case. Shame they did not put proper attention to important detail that would cost little time or money to do correctly.

All case faults will be easily corrected with a few bits of foam and contact cement.

Overall body of Tx is very solid. Twist test reveals no flex in case. Beats MC-20 hands down, that one flexes quite a bit under light force. Is equal to MX-20, DX18G1, DX9G1.

Switch action is the best I have ever seen. This can be quite subjective as I can imagine some might like sharp positive snaps when throwing switches. These are a very nice positive action but "dampened" if you will for what I describe as a very modern feel. If you went from Graupner switches to these it would be same as going from original Taranis sliders to the upgrades that went into the Plus line. Never thought I would feel a switch that I would describe as hydraulically dampened.

Gimbals are Gimbals. Thousands upon thousands of words and pages that we all have opined over the years debating Gimbals is mostly wasted ink and breath. Unless I were to go back to Say a Futaba Attack-R you could blindfold me and put a row of Gimbals in front of me and I could not tell one from the other from just moving the sticks. The fact that they are Hall Sensor is the only thing that interests me, and not for any advertised/speculated/debated resolution numbers, simply that they should be basically unable to fail or deteriorate compared to resistance pots. They will need to have a slight adjustment here and there to have the right feel but I have nowhere near the pickiness that causes some people to need different springs etc. to get satisfactory feel or even totally reject certain Gimbals. I will be looking to install longer sticks since I am starting to experiment with pinch and over this winter on simulator will be perfect time to decide if I like it. Do not fear fellow thumb flyers, this radio has taken into account everything needed about positioning to accommodate pinch or thumb.

The sliders have a very nice feel and the back ones are PERFECTLY positioned for thumb flyers as is the whole layout. You can wrap your hands around the grips and without moving them even a fraction of an inch access sticks, back sliders, and both rows of toggle switches on both sides. And I have short stubby fingers. If it means anything to Y'All there was no way I would ever have excelled at piano since it was a struggle to reach more that a key or two over an octave.

Both sets of sliders have about only two thirds or less the amount of physical travel they should have for my liking, especially the front vertical ones. The dampened action is second to none.

Rotary knobs, Meh. Top quality hardware, but have never been a big user of them. One with center detent and one without is smart idea.

Rotary Switch on the other hand is top quality and pure genius for Flight Modes.

Inner Trim 5 and 6 buttons are too close to the power switch cover/strap connector.

All trim switch action is 50% compared to the toggles and sliders. Overall quality of buttons is 50%, they wiggle around side-to-side.

Rotary input device is very easy to use and positive action. Little nubby that reminds me of the ball a one armed man I knew as a kid had on his steering wheel is VERY smart.

Selection buttons around the perimeter of the Rotary Wheel are hard to get at to press. They are WAY too small and reside below the wheel making them almost need a stylus to activate, stylus is exaggeration to make the point they missed the mark in this corner. I was looking forward to an easy to use switched based input. I don't really care for the touch-pad setup on my Graupners, Spektrum wheel and buttons was better.

Small joystick in center of left pad has a nice amount analog travel. I was expecting something more like Hat Switch than actual joystick. This will actually be useful for secondary control of non-flight control stuff.

Weight feels fine to me. Will make it feel nice and stable with double strap installed. Actual weight is irrelevant since I never hold the radio with my arms, strap bears the weight.

That's going to be all for now. I have not intention of any overall comments about OS since that is totally customizable for everybody.

I will make some comments in the next few days or so about sound and screen usability outdoors.

TTFN

I can only imagine how many different Tx designs there would be if we all could have the hardware exactly as we want. Unfortunately we are not all radio manufacturers.

Last edited by davidmc36; 09-13-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:34 AM   #59
JoeT
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:

Excellent "unbiased" write up.

Thanks for starting the review.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:31 AM   #60
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 16

Yup , agree , a good start.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.