engine dies every landing - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Large Engines Discuss Engines Used on Giant Scale Aircraft. Gas/Glow, as long as they're big!

Old 09-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #21
rome
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Romeo R
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 3
Re: engine dies every landing

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
sure i did that; put the idle high. The engine did not die alright, but it came in hot, and almost have to chase the plane after. Quiet comical actually.
Like Dave( CASSAT) said i will change the prop down to 18-10.

And change the plug as per (BKONKOLY).

i will post the results.
maac #38176
sport flyer
rome is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:33 PM   #22
HAL9KPCM
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dave Z
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 18

LOL, OK, fair enough. So in the end, might just be a combination of prop and idle.

My Heli: Futaba 18MZ 2x(JR GSR260Z Sports FBL, Zenoah G26H, Futaba CGY750 Gyro, Futaba BLS-351 cyclic, BLS-251 tail, Futaba BLS-451 Throttle. Gryphon voltage regulator).
HAL9KPCM is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:54 PM   #23
Mytmerc83
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Ryan T
Radio of choice:
DX8
# of RCs: 17

Total Props: 0

Was able to iron my issue out so far too. Was a bit lean on bottom end and put a ngk spark plug in.
Mytmerc83 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:21 PM   #24
RAMJET
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
JR 12x
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 15

run a 8" pitch prop , the plane will slow down with a higher RPM , if you are dropping to a 10" pitch what are you running now 12" pitch ?? . I run 8"pitch on most all my gassers 50cc to 120cc , gives you nice engine braking and requires you to actually throttle up when making landing approaches so there is no chance of stalling.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:50 PM   #25
rome
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

I'm running 20-8 right now, i'm going down to 18-10 or 18-8. i love the 20-8 on it cause as soon as you cut the throttle you can see the plane slow down right away.
Like i said so far i did not have to deal with a dead stick landing on this plane. What puzzles me; in the air i chop the power on stall turns even with extended nose down attitude on idle and it does not die, i even tried a short finale and a very long idle to prevent from loading, but the moment it touch down and on the roll out, the engine stalls.
maac #38176
sport flyer
Old 09-08-2016, 10:50 AM   #26
BMG
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Brendan G.
Radio of choice:
18MZ
# of RCs: 1.5

I have a DA 200 that does the same thing. The plane comes in fairly hot so I need to have the engine at a minimum speed with our short and relatively tight field. Here is what works for me.

Use an idle down switch if you have one. Drop idle only when on final approach.

Burb the throttle a few times on final approach (clears the loading issue).

Switch to high idle as soon as it touches down or increase the throttle by one click for taxiing. Timing is critical to prevent flaring back up.

This works for me.

Brendan

IMAC Team Canada 2014
Coach Team Canada 2018
BMG is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:56 AM   #27
rome
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

As promised, I will update when I try new suggestion.

change the prop to 18-10, change the plug. It did not change any thing, It was still stalling as soon as it lands. So we did a bounce test, at idle we would lift the plane few inches and drop it. Sure enough it dies.

so I finally dove inside the carb. I opened it top and bottom. I found the spring on the diaphragm, dislodge. I guess that's causing to flood all the time. This is where it sits right now. I have yet to do another flight test.

Let you guys know........
maac #38176
sport flyer
Old 10-04-2016, 10:00 AM   #28
tech8
RCC Contributor

I am: Andrew

If this is a side carb dle 30 they had a problem with fuel pooling behind the reeds. The engines would quit at idle when the plane changed angles suddenly. Only fix was to convert to rear carb or mount the engine so the carb is slightly angled to stop the pooling
Old 10-05-2016, 09:59 AM   #29
RAMJET
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
JR 12x
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 15

Rome I know I mentioned this before but are you sure the throttle linkage or motor mount is not flexing on landing causing the throttle to close more when the plane bumps the ground . won't not take much movement on the throttle plate when the carb is at idle to kill the engine . Hard to believe it's a carb problem when it runs fine in the air.

A easy check to see if a carb is flooding . open the throttle and choke and rock the prop back and forth against compression (NOT through compression), the base compression will drive the pump in the carb forcing fuel to the needle and seat ,seeing as the engine is not asking for fuel the fuel pressure regulator will not move and should prevent any fuel from entering the carb . if fuel starts to drip from the carb the needle and seat is leaking .

Quote:
Originally Posted by rome View Post
I'm running 20-8 right now, i'm going down to 18-10 or 18-8. i love the 20-8 on it cause as soon as you cut the throttle you can see the plane slow down right away.
Like i said so far i did not have to deal with a dead stick landing on this plane. What puzzles me; in the air i chop the power on stall turns even with extended nose down attitude on idle and it does not die, i even tried a short finale and a very long idle to prevent from loading, but the moment it touch down and on the roll out, the engine stalls.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:33 AM   #30
newshoundaussie
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Greg D
Radio of choice:
JR 12X & 28X
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech8 View Post
If this is a side carb dle 30 they had a problem with fuel pooling behind the reeds. The engines would quit at idle when the plane changed angles suddenly. Only fix was to convert to rear carb or mount the engine so the carb is slightly angled to stop the pooling
This could be your problem. The first Da 50's had this problem also until a carb update was released to stop the pooling. The pooling would always shut down the engine when the plane would touch down at a low idle and three point landings. Do a search I am sure you can find some info.
newshoundaussie is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.