Need help with battery managment and binding process. - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 08-29-2016, 11:21 PM   #1
sidix007
RCC Apprentice

I am: W. B.

Total Props: 0
Need help with battery managment and binding process.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi,

I am currently flying a Sport Cub S BNF plane with a Spektrum Dx6i. Im having some troubles getting consitant use out of it. Sometimes the batteries work and will bind and others i get nothing. I currently have 6 batteries (1S 3.7v 150mAh) that i charge up during the day with 2 USB adaptor chargers (E-Flite EFLC1008 ). I then head out to the field, put in the first battery, set the plane on level ground, hold my 'bind button' on the Dx6i and flip it on, wait for the plane to bind and confirm i have control. I fly around 4-5mins land the plane and swap the battery, here is where i get a lil confused. What are the proper steps for this? Do i turn off my transmitter first and then disconnect the battery on the plane? Do i leave the transmitter on remove the battery and connect another and it should re-bind automatically? Do i need to turn transmitter off, diconnect battery. connect new battery and go through the bind process again?

Today i had 5 charged batteries and could only get flight time out of two of them. The other refused to bind or work.

If i charge a battery one day and go to use it the next will it be dead?
Is this worth it?

Can i charge multiple batteries at once with it?

Thanks for any info you can offer. Sorry if i started to ramble abit lol

Last edited by sidix007; 08-29-2016 at 11:35 PM.
sidix007 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:23 AM   #2
JoeT
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: JoeT
Radio of choice:
Was a Futaba, Now a Tyrant with Taranis.
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 9
Re: Need help with battery managment and binding process.

Are you binding each time?

BTW, you do not need to hold the bind button down each time, once it's bound, all you do is swap batteries in between flights.

Proper procedure is:
Shut off plane
Shut off Radio

But with new technology these days, it's not as critical.

Proper procedure when turning things on:
Turn Radio On first
Then make sure all your switches and throttle is in the right position
Turn on Airplane (Plug battery in).

No need to bind each time, the transmitter remembers who it's supposed to talk to. Same with the receiver.
JoeT is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:46 AM   #3
Daren71
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Daren M.
Radio of choice:
DX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidix007 View Post
Hi,

I am currently flying a Sport Cub S BNF plane with a Spektrum Dx6i. Im having some troubles getting consitant use out of it. Sometimes the batteries work and will bind and others i get nothing. I currently have 6 batteries (1S 3.7v 150mAh) that i charge up during the day with 2 USB adaptor chargers (E-Flite EFLC1008 ). I then head out to the field, put in the first battery, set the plane on level ground, hold my 'bind button' on the Dx6i and flip it on, wait for the plane to bind and confirm i have control. I fly around 4-5mins land the plane and swap the battery, here is where i get a lil confused. What are the proper steps for this? Do i turn off my transmitter first and then disconnect the battery on the plane? Do i leave the transmitter on remove the battery and connect another and it should re-bind automatically? Do i need to turn transmitter off, diconnect battery. connect new battery and go through the bind process again?

Today i had 5 charged batteries and could only get flight time out of two of them. The other refused to bind or work.

If i charge a battery one day and go to use it the next will it be dead?
Is this worth it?

Can i charge multiple batteries at once with it?

Thanks for any info you can offer. Sorry if i started to ramble abit lol
Hi, let's start with the plane. I'm assuming it's an E-flite Sport cub. There should be no reason to bind the aircraft and radio every time you fly. Only if you make major repairs, replace an electrical component, or seem to be experiencing control issues.

Turn the radio on first, install you battery, go fly. When you are done, remove the battery, then turn off the radio. Your radio always needs to be on first and off last. Binding a radio and airplane (receiver in the airplane) is something that is done usually once, not needed every time.

Any of my 1s batteries were hit and miss in quality, some have worked for a long time, some less than one indoor winter flying season. You might have a few batteries that are bad.

The charger you posted is good, but it can be bought for less money. Have a look at hobbyking.com. Just remember, it's a DC only charger, meaning you need to purchase a power supply as well, or hook the charger up to a car battery. In order for you to charge the 1s batteries you need a charging adapter, or charging cable, that is sold separately as well.

I think I've covered it all. If you have any more questions, ask away.

Good luck, Daren

Old 08-30-2016, 08:06 AM   #4
gixerfien
RCC Pro Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: cory b
Radio of choice:
spektrum DX9, DX4S
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 11

looks like others have all beat me to it lol

FIRST AND FOREMOST.....ALWAYS unplug the battery FIRST from the plane and then turn the Tx off 2nd.(But as was also said about modern technology, it's always good practice still in case a fail-safe was not setup properly or anything like that it's always good practice to do it in the correct order still)

Like it was said, just bind it once and that's it, NOT once at the start of the day but once PERIOD. Make sure once bound you remove the bind plug before you fly and then cycle the power as in power down the receiver, then tx and then turn back on the Tx and then Rx. This is what I've read in Spektrum manuals and is what I've always done myself.

Those USB chargers your using are GARBAGE!!!!, definitely get yourself a computerized charger that can monitor and charge things A LOT better than those USB things are any wall charger could ever do.

And like mentioned the 1s packs are finicky, depending on how many flights and charges you say you have then I would also assume you have a couple bummed packs in the mix.

For charging multiple 1S packs, get yourself something like this:
https://www.rotorquest.com/index.php...duct_id=105567

BUT still, even with that, I always suggest that after every few charges like this in parallel that you charge them individually so they're still getting a proper charge.
Goblin 380, Mini Vbar, Xnova 3215, YGE 90LV, BK 3001's and BK 5005, Switchblades
Goblin 700 comp(BNIB)
Blade 450x, every lynx/blade upgrade available--PARTING OUT(CHECK CLASSIFIEDS)
HK Clik and RC Foam Factory Click super-lite(BNIB)
Losi Mini 8ight--Leopard LBP2838, HW 10BL60, BK 5001, Shumacher Rally's+Pins, Rhino 1050mah 40c
gixerfien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:17 AM   #5
sidix007
RCC Apprentice

First off thanks for taking the time to reply, i really appreciate it.

Below is my actual plane. I have used all 5 of these batteries within the last week, they all gave me about 4 min flight times.

Can someone recommend a good charger? I would like one that would do multiple S batteries as i plan to upgrade my quad and airplane next summer. I dont mind spending the money to increase my fly time and overall my enjoyment.... there are just so many choice and options its hard to make a decision. I dont want to buy one and figure out i should of bought a different one because it does everything i want lol

This is the plane i have.

My usual procedure for binding and fly was to plug in the plane, turn on transmitter with bind key held, bind the plane. When the battery got low i would land turn off transmitter, un plug plane, put in new battery then turn transmitter back on with the bind key held again.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:51 AM   #6
kwm
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Keith M

Total Props: 2

Like everyone else said you do not have to bind overtime, bind when you setup the plane and that is it. When you fly turn o the tx, plug in the plane and fly. At the end of the flight, unplug the plane then turn off the tx. Next flight, turn on tx, plug in plane and fly. Do not use the bind every time you fly. Remember when binding that you install the bind plug, turn on plane, rx will flash, then hold the bind button and turn on the tx, rx light will turn solid, rx is now bound to tx. Binding is the only time you turn on the tx last, once bound it is tx first, plane second, after flight, plane off first, then tx

DO NOT USE THE BIND FOR EVERY FLIGHT

FOR FLIGHT

TX ON FIRST
PLANE ON SECOND
AFTER FLIGHT
PLANE OFF FIRST
TX OFF SECOND
kwm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:54 AM   #7
sidix007
RCC Apprentice

Thanks, I will alter my method. Hopefully i can get out tonight to try again if the weather holds.

Quick side question. I also have a Blade Nano QX drone. To switch to that device what would my binding procedures be?

Turn on TX
Select Nano QX profile
Insert battery into drone
Wait for drone to bind to TX?

This drone has been used with the TX multiple times already, Do i need to 'bind' when i switch between devices or just load the corresponding profile?
Old 08-30-2016, 10:10 AM   #8
kwm
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Keith M

Total Props: 2

Just switch profiles, no need to bind everytime you switch aircraft.
Just remember once the aircraft is bound it is

tx on
plane on
after flight
plane off
tx off
kwm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:16 AM   #9
sidix007
RCC Apprentice

I will etch that into my memory.

Any suggestions on a good charger? Something that can handle 1-6S batteries and multiples at a time?
Old 08-30-2016, 11:16 AM   #10
Daren71
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Daren M.
Radio of choice:
DX8

Have a look at Hobbyking. Lots there. Lots of prices including the one you linked to Amazon.

They have all the accessories needed as well. Just watch the shipping prices. They can get high quickly the more you add to your shopping cart. You can also search the classifieds here. Use the search feature. If you need a review, Google search the charger, and add review, you will get tons of reviews, or search YouTube for video reviews.

Daren

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.