RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 01-12-2005, 11:54 AM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Ted H

Total Props: 1
Looking for flying sites

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello Fellows
I am in the process of retireing this spring. My wife and I are going to travel as far across Canada as posible this summer. We are looking for flying sites that will allow us to camp for a couple of days while we do the sightseeing thing. Also looking for volunteer tour guides.
I have made a few contacts allready in BC and Alberta.The MAAC magazine will have Fun Flys and contests that we will go to also.
I will be taking a couple of SPADS on wheels for sport flying and also a couple of electrics.
We will be starting in June, heading to Prince Rupert then down to Houston BC for the fun fly then up North to Fort St John and then ?????
WE may do a little golfing (duffing) etc also. My wife is a Quilter and belongs to the Red Hat Society and is very sociable.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
PS I am a MAAC member.
Quesnel B.C.
Taz is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:07 PM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Ian G

looking for flying sites

Taz,how far east of the Rockies are you trying to come?
Ian Gunn
MAAC 25307
IAN GUNN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:15 PM   #3
RCC Junior Contributor

We are going to try to get to the big island on the east coast.
Quesnel B.C.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:16 PM   #4
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Ted L

Total Props: 0
This is a great idea. I would love to do this someday. The fact that your wife is going with you and is willing to stay at some model flying field is wonderful. I wish you guys all the best for the trip there and back.

The Burlington club here in Ontario has a field in a conservation area. They may have camping available.

Also there is a club near Kitchener Ontario that may offer camping on site.

Hope this helps. If you can't fly where you stay in southern Ontario let me know and you can come fly at the club I belong to as a guest. I belong to the Oakville model flyers.

Ted LeBlanc
Noin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:05 PM   #5
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Jean B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 40+

Hello Ted,

First , my best whishes for the New Year and a most enjoyable tour. Here are two that you might want to consider:

1. GAFF - Greater Atlantic Fun Fly that will be held in Pokemouche ( Caraquet ) NB on the weekend of 2nd - 3rd AUG. The flying is off the municipal airport runway all weekend - a 3600 foot paved runway with plenty of ground for camping;

2..FESTIVOL - Quebec provincial Fun-Fly on the weekend of 13th - 14th AUG at the Drummondville R/C Club site in Drummondville. This is a 500 foot grass runway with again plenty of room for wild camping.

I'll be at both God willing... and as you drive through our village (Montreal) look me up and I'll show you a few good spots where you can fly with full confidence.

Jean Blaquiere
Zone Director
MAAC - St Laurent
Phone: (450) 649-5128
Gelcoat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:04 PM   #6
Bandit Flyer
RCC Noob
I am: Ben O

Flying Sites

Hi Ted.
If you are coming through Southern Ontario, you're more than welcome at our field here in Brighton. We are located about 150km east ot Toronto on Lake Ontario. Our field is only about a 5 minute drive from Presqu'ile Provincial Park and about 15 minutes from a KOA Campground.
We are holding a "Fun Scale Rally" that you are welcome to attend on the weekend of 06 August. Check out our website: http://www.geocities.com/brightonrchawks/ and if you have any questions, please contact me (I'm the coordinator for the event). Happy travelling and hope to see you at our field
Bandit Flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:35 PM   #7
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: kevin w

If you are doing the trans Canada thing you almost have to go through Sault Ste Marie and you would be welcome to fly as our guest .at the Soo Modellers field.
Im sure we could make arrangements for you to put up "camp" in the parking lot at our field for a few days too.
While in the Soo you must spend some time at the bushplane museum which is getting to be a world class act of its type.
Let us know when your plans firm up........
IMAA 27023
IMAC 3710
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:52 AM   #8
RCC Junior Contributor

The Sudbury Model Aircraft Club opens its arms to you Ted.
The field has camping for the fun flys but we will open it up to you and the wife if you stop.
Theere is the science center and many other sites to see well here and the guided tour can be aranged.

hyperrockets is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:05 AM   #9
RCC Supreme Contributor

From Fort St John it is a short hop over to Grande Prairie, then down to Edmonton (home of 2 of the biggest hobby shops in Canada). There are several good flying fields in the area. Ours is out in the sticks a bit..however, did you know that Walmart allows seniors to park their RV's / campers in their parking lot?

On your way south, I'd recommend stopping by Bawlf (Alberta's littlest airport) they have a beautiful facility there, along with a nice campground...

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:32 PM   #10
RCC Junior Contributor

Thanks Guys
This is the reason I posted this here. I know there are great people in this great country. We will try to get to every spot that has been made avalable to us.
Quesnel B.C.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.