Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: James S
Radio of choice:
Futaba Super 7/ 9 CAPs/FrSky X9E
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 1
Radio interference

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Good day, good people of RCC. I have a problem and I need some input.
I have recently picked up a Hanger 9 Carbon Cub and have it assembled and ready to fly (or so I thought). I installed a OS 91FS (inverted) with Futaba 72 mhz flight equipment (PPM-FM). I broke in the motor in the yard on the plane (wings off) for a few tanks without problem. I assembled the wings and headed to the field with high expectations. While warming up the engine I leaned down to adjust the needle valve and the motor went WOT. When I stood back up it settled down. Long and short of it is whenever I swipe the antenna over the wings while it is idling it goes WOT and the servos all go nuts (massive interference). I have narrowed it down to the wing servo's (aileron and flap). If I unplug both of them the problem goes away. I have swapped out the servo's (from digital to analogue) and still same.
So far I have changed all servo's with confirmed units,servo wires and locations, 3 different PPM receivers/ channels and antenna locations, battery and voltage (4- 6).
Does anyone know of a way to get fix this issue without getting a new 2.4 g radio system (or running without ailerons and flaps)? Is there some way of reducing the interference on a 72mhz system? (I dont have a PPM receiver to try!) Any thoughts?
Crash alot is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:46 PM   #2
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 10
Re: Radio interference

Is your radio narrow band or the old wide band?

What does WOT mean?
Old 08-31-2016, 12:50 PM   #3
Crash alot
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:

Narrow band. Futaba DF168 I think.. And I forgot to mention that this only occurs when the motor is idling, not 1/2 or wide open. (wide open throttle)
2- R168 DF and 1- FPR168 Wing servo's were Futaba 3151 and I put 3004's in.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:49 PM   #4
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 35

What is the failsafe throttle position?

Easy to check. Both Tx and receiver powered with engine OFF. Turn off transmitter and observe throttle. If it goes wide open reset it to low throttle.

Do that test and report your findings.

Often you can saturate the receiver if the transmitter is too close. Some setups seemed immune while others were much more vulnerable.

NOTE: I don't believe their PPM receivers had the failsafe feature, only the PCM. You may have the option to swap the servo so the arm is reversed and see if it reacts to pull the throttle down when the TX is shut off. Otherwise you may need to switch to a receiver with failsafe ability.

You are lucky in that some aftermarket do have the same feature. I switched over to BERG receivers for their ability to alter the programming. The 7P has failsafe along with channel mapping with their PC link setup. They are often much smaller, lighter and more sensitive than legacy equipment.

Last edited by Cougar429; 08-31-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:33 PM   #5
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 10

What kind of engine? sorry You gave that info already.

Obviously you are swamping the RX. Something is out of tune.

Last edited by Mike Sebastien; 08-31-2016 at 02:40 PM.
Mike Sebastien is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:41 PM   #6
floyd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 5

I've had the same problem running all digital servo's in some planes on 72mhz. I've changed both ailerons to analog servo's to fix the problem. I thought it was the extensions picking up the interference. I've got planes with all digital servo's with the heavy wired extensions that are fine. It wasn't my RX, battery or switch. My quick fix was to swap out two of the easiest to get at servo's, instead of running heavy extensions in my profile which would have been a make work program. Cheers Floyd
floyd is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:49 PM   #7
Crash alot
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:

Thanks all. Gary I do not have a fail safe on these receivers (just on PCM for this old system). I have this exact set up in most of my planes (some different servo's) and I can literally whip the plane from end to end and I won't get as much as a twitch.
Floyd, I have changed out the 2 digital servo's in the right wing and tried again with the same result (I unplugged all the other servo's except the wing, ran the throttle by hand and it still made the flap and aileron flip around at idle.)
I am having one of those years!!
Old 08-31-2016, 07:11 PM   #8
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 16

what are you running from the throttle arm to the throttle servo ; metal wire or plastic nyrod ? Are you running a metal clevis to a metal throttle arm ?

Don't think it is a servo issue. Could be the receivers need service as they are not filtering out any RF noise. Agree the Berg 7 channel recievers are the best available on 72 mhz.
stegl is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:45 PM   #9
Crash alot
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:

I have changed the throttle control cable to a solid wire, using pin/screw type fasteners at both ends (I haven't tried a plastic/nylon yet) it was a cable. Yes maybe my receivers could use some adjusting but 1 of them came out of a plane that I was just flying at the field that night?
I am going to try dig up some filters from old computers sets and wrap them on to see if that will help at all.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:10 PM   #10
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 16

What I guess I was also asking was do you have metal to metal fittings as the rubbing can create electronic noise ?

Also if your receiver has small coils on the circuit board they may need adjusting. Only a radio tech with the proper equipment can do this. They can also check to see what if any noise is coming through. also what brand of servos are you using in the plane.
stegl is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.