4*60
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 7
Re: Radio interference

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Rerouting the antenna works? Where was it run? What was near it? Photos might help.
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:24 AM   #32
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 35

If your rerouting has the antenna showing any 90 degree bends you can eliminate that length from optimum reception. Even worse if reversing since effectively double the length going back on itself is cancelled.

That reduction in length will obviously reduce the signal strength into the Rx, (and your range when flying) so swamping with the transmitter close by will also be reduced to the point where you may not see the jittering.

However, your comment earlier of that effect when moving the wires should be dealt with or you could risk complete loss of control. The further away you get the more likely that outcome.

The last few posts reiterate what I covered earlier about fall off in battery voltage at the ends of long extensions or numerous conductors. The bit about twisting the wires was not and my omission.

Sorry aboot that. I buy my 22Ga twisted wire in bulk at the Toledo Show from the Hansen Hobbies booth, along with their Futaba and JR connector assortments to fab up my own extensions and replacement servo leads. I always find stock extensions either too short or long so this works great. When doing enough the price is far less than pre-made and not that time consuming or difficult.

Those twisted leads still are succeptible to RF, but at much lower levels so long extensions are less likely to be a problem.

One thing I forgot to ask is if you are using the same Rx crystal when swapping receivers. If so that may be your common element and the drifting mentioned earlier could be affecting the reception of each. Thermal and physical stresses can also affect the performance degrading over time.

Have you tried the PCM receiver yet?

I had that type of jittering on some receivers years ago and they were PCM. Since alone I taped some flags to the most affected controls and did a range check. For whatever reason they showed full range reception, but since they were in helis and flown within my back yard no worries of wandering out of reception range. Far easier to lose orientation on something like that than reception.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:56 AM   #33
Crash alot
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: James S
Radio of choice:
Futaba Super 7/ 9 CAPs/FrSky X9E
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 1

It was ran in (the usual way for me) the fuselage inside a goldenrod down the middle. Then I had a little success going out the bottom and back to the tail on the outside. Then I tried out the side under the cabin door and back to the tail (that is where it was when I flew it) It was better but still glitchy when flying (the on board video shows glitching at the same spots while flying figure 8's).
Now I tried it again this morning and I found that it will glitch anyway if you find the spot. Moving the rx antenna just seems to move the dead spot around. Now instead of the wing it is an area under the wing????(with the rx antenna in the door and back to the tail). I took some video and will see if I can upload it.
https://youtu.be/ftbF6p-oA2w

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60 View Post
Rerouting the antenna works? Where was it run? What was near it? Photos might help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flying 008.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	657.9 KB
ID:	1047009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flying 012.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	611.4 KB
ID:	1047017  

Last edited by Crash alot; 09-06-2016 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Added video link
Crash alot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:30 AM   #34
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 16

When was the last time the radio and receivers sent in for adjustment ; as most of the older 72 MHz radios and receivers had tuning coils on the circuit board ? They can go out of adjustment over time. Not sure if Futaba do that sort of thing any more but a company in the US called Southwest RC (?) did do it ; the tuning and radio/receiver checks. Not sure if using a choke ( ?) for two wires is a good idea but maybe someone could chime in here. I have gone to twisted servo wires for long leads.

Watching the video ; you definitely have a radio issue , alright.

As Mark B., said, may be time for a new 2.4 radio.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:08 PM   #35
Crash alot
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:

Never as far as I know.
I bought all this stuff off RCC in the past 10 months. Some new,some used.
I have pulled all the equipment that I am using from my other planes that are currently flying. Also I have reinstalled all the stuff I removed from this plane and put back in my other planes and have flown them (without glitch) since.
Yes you may all be right about the 2.4 as that may fix the problem (not guaranteed) but I am not ready to give up that easy.
I still have a few things to try yet, and it will have to do some convincing before I will let this bird off it's leash again.

Not to say the radio couldn't use a tuning as it probably could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post
When was the last time the radio and receivers sent in for adjustment ; as most of the older 72 MHz radios and receivers had tuning coils on the circuit board ? They can go out of adjustment over time. Not sure if Futaba do that sort of thing any more but a company in the US called Southwest RC (?) did do it ; the tuning and radio/receiver checks. Not sure if using a choke ( ?) for two wires is a good idea but maybe someone could chime in here. I have gone to twisted servo wires for long leads.

Watching the video ; you definitely have a radio issue , alright.

As Mark B., said, may be time for a new 2.4 radio.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:25 PM   #36
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.

Total Props: 16

your video was better than a thousand words to show the problem and agree with you ; that can be frustrating.
With any older 72 MHz system even new stuff can have tuning issues, if left sitting over the years . the thing is if you have no problems then why does it show up on a specific model and not your others ?
Weird.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:54 PM   #37
Crash alot
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:

Len I don't have an answer to that question just yet.
I have tried a few more things to no avail,
I replaced the battery with a 1800ma SRC nicd and went direct to the rx. Nope!
Removed the choke and twisted all the cables independently. Nope and worse!
Tried another receiver from another plane (old one) Nope!
I haven't started removing hardware yet but it is next on the list or.
I will see if anyone on RCC has a 2.4 module and rx for sale...Lol
Old 09-06-2016, 06:50 PM   #38
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM

Total Props: 13

There is one more thing! The 72MHZ computer transmitter has a small button one cell battery on the circuit board. When these start to fail all kinds of weird things start to happen. After changing the battery the transmitter has to be reprogrammed. Some guys have changed the battery without loosing the program, by supplying a temporary power source while the battery is being changed. I have several of the older non computerized transmitters and they do not have this problem. It just might be time to invest in something new.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:23 PM   #39
Crash alot
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:

That is definitely something to look into for sure as this is on the weird side..
I did a few more things from my list including trying another motor (Saito FA65 with no luck) and remove metal wing struts. I didn't get much time to mess with it (maybe 10 minutes) but I was not able to get it to glitch. The only way was to actually touch the antenna to the landing gear strut mounts. I will get more time tomorrow and I haven't got my hopes up,or given up yet but that is promising.The manufacturers don't have 72 mhz in mind any more when they build them I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip51035 View Post
There is one more thing! The 72MHZ computer transmitter has a small button one cell battery on the circuit board. When these start to fail all kinds of weird things start to happen. After changing the battery the transmitter has to be reprogrammed. Some guys have changed the battery without loosing the program, by supplying a temporary power source while the battery is being changed. I have several of the older non computerized transmitters and they do not have this problem. It just might be time to invest in something new.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:25 AM   #40
Trumpet
RCC Contributor

I am: Mark Betuzzi

Total Props: 6

http://www.radiosouthrc.com/ Radio South is also a recognised service center for all R.C. products.
Mark.
Trumpet is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.