howie2
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: alex m
Radio of choice:
jr
# of RCs: 18

Total Props: 0
40 seamaster

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
can anyone tell me what the center of gravity is for a 40 seamaster? i believe its the ace model? thanks.
howie2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:45 PM   #2
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 35
Re: 40 seamaster

I have the original kit built in the 80's and think the ARF is the same. Just flew it yesterday, the first time this season.

Start with it at the thickest part of the wing, basically just ahead of the spar. This places it just ahead of the step in the fuse, as well.

If you PM me your Email I can send you the plans and ARF build manual in .pdf format. Although it is one of the best amphibs I ever flew, I can also discuss two particular problems with it, (easy fixes).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DigitalCameraTransfer 931.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	945.4 KB
ID:	1045089  
Old 09-05-2016, 11:56 PM   #3
Pauld
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 22

Hey Gary,

Would love to have a copy of those pdf's as well if you're ok. I'll p.m. you my email.

I've got an old fibreglass fuse one that I recovered the wing and balsa surfaces - needs a fuse paint job but I'm just going to take it out and flog it this weekend at the Shuswap float fly and then repaint over the winter.

Cheers,

PaulD

www.wircsrc.com/
http://www.jetpilots.org/
http://www.spectrumflyers.com/
MAAC Jet Committee/JPO Western Canada
IF IT'S TOO LOUD - YOU'RE TOO OLD!
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:09 AM   #4
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Files on the way.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:36 AM   #5
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I've sent a couple of copies out and figured I would cover the problems I encountered with mine.

On the day of the maiden I had a vicious snap into the water in a turn. It did some damage to the silk and dope covering that I was unable to fix so it was set aside in favor of the Northstar. That continued for a while till I left for aviation college so it sat in storage for a while. Resurrected it with the new scheme and have been flying it ever since.

From how it handled I first thought it was a tip stall problem, but some discussions online led me to the back end. Apparently the one issue with this design was the horizontal tail, the lack of stiffness allowing the ends to flex so much it would go out of control if under enough load. I guess a honking turn qualifies.

Once recovered I added a C/F rod to the front and back each side, locking it to the lower fuse. You can see the first to the LE in the pic taken during this process. This effectively prevented any twist or flex and it has been solid ever since with no bad habits.

However there are a couple of tendencies I've noticed over the years, one I may have built in at time of assembly. The first shows on landing and is a very noticeable continued sink rate when first flared. It has to be accounted for to avoid plonking and can be part of the process, just one I have never encountered on any other craft.

The second may be a two-part problem in that I shortened the pylon and even though maintained the thrust line added more power than originally recommended, (Fox 50). Was a strong choice, (I still have that engine in storage) but other problems after getting it airborne again made the change to an OS 55AX. That issue continued after the engine change and was eventually traced to a too flexible clunk line, (the engine would sag above half throttle; apparently vent pressure was enough to collapse the silicone).

The extra speed now shows a serious pitch change with power. Altering the thrust line did not have much effect and I have raised the back end of the wing. This winter may finally get at changing the tail incidence so the wing can seat back where it should.

So, as mentioned earlier this has one of the best hull designs for water ops, except as with all flat bottoms it can skip if allowed. If I ever built another or got my hands on the ARF would look at modding for a V-bottom and possibly C/F reinforcing the horizontal stab to eliminate the need for the external bracing, but that's just due to my habit of not leaving things alone.

Regardless, take note of that problem with the tail or it will come out and bite.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.