ParkZone Radian - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Sailplanes / Electro-gliders Discuss quiet flight in Canada.

Old 09-11-2016, 06:01 PM   #11
mawz
RCC Apprentice

I am: Adam Maas
Radio of choice:
Taranis X9D+
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 1
Re: ParkZone Radian

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK View Post
I hear the XL is even better than the original. Other than storage issues I'm not sure why the reluctance to get one. Bigger usually flies better.
The XL has a marginal power system unlike the 2m (which is more than capable of ALES launches to 200m in under 30s), some QC issues, a buggy stabilized RX and is somewhat porky (76-80z vs the very competitive 27-30oz of the original).

While it's definitely a better aircraft in windy conditions, in light air its weight tells against it. The original is pretty comparable in weight & performance to a typical 2m balsa design, while the XL has all the mass of a 3m, but only the span of a 100" design. The biggest advantage of the XL is really the flying stab, so no decallage issues unlike the original. The reality is there's an upper limit on what you can really do with foam and the XL is riding that limit, it picks up too much mass from the necessary stiffening for a 100" wing.

Not a bad bird altogether, but while the original needed at most a bit of tail stiffening and maybe some futzing with the decallage, the XL needs a new drivetrain, RX and some tail stiffening before it will perform comparably (by comparably I mean launch to 200m in sub-30s). At a minimum I'd swap out the RX for sport flying (AS3X adds little and there's known issues with the rudder trim going haywire on the AR636 with a yaw-roll mix in place for AS3X on a RE/RES aircraft)

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:28 PM   #12
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1kenda View Post
Read the XL thread on RCG, then you will see why....
I skimmed a bit of it just now, way too much material to research in depth but it looks like most folks are quite happy with it as it comes out of the box. From what I picked up from the whiners is what mawz stated above. Guys are hot rodding them to try and match the performance of the $1200 competition ships. Come on, get real! These are foamies and never intended for that kind of abuse!! Wrong airframe for that job.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:12 PM   #13
mawz
RCC Apprentice

I am: Adam Maas
Radio of choice:
Taranis X9D+
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK View Post
I skimmed a bit of it just now, way too much material to research in depth but it looks like most folks are quite happy with it as it comes out of the box. From what I picked up from the whiners is what mawz stated above. Guys are hot rodding them to try and match the performance of the $1200 competition ships. Come on, get real! These are foamies and never intended for that kind of abuse!! Wrong airframe for that job.
It's not the $1200 comp ships they're trying to match, it's the $200 Radian/Radian Pro. A stock Radian or Radian pro can do 200m in sub-30s and is the defacto starter ALES bird for newbies. People were expecting the bigger brother to be able to do the same (and the basic issue is a case of Horizon re-using a stock motor/ESC combo that's marginal for the XL)

The biggest knocks on the XL are that the power system isn't up to the performance of the 2m ships and the oddities with the stock receiver. The receiver issue is fixable with programming (delete the yaw-roll mix and maybe disable AS3X)

Now the power systems some people are sticking into the XL are a bit ridiculous (especially that $300+ F5J setup Esprit is peddling). But a lot of that is that there really is no easy option to get 2m Radian performance from the XL, so some live with the more pedestrian climbs (and many are fine with that) and some stick stump pullers in. I've seen people swap in more powerful motor/ESC's into the 2m Radian, which is already verging on overpowered.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:17 PM   #14
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz View Post
Now the power systems some people are sticking into the XL are a bit ridiculous (especially that $300+ F5J setup Esprit is peddling). But a lot of that is that there really is no easy option to get 2m Radian performance from the XL, so some live with the more pedestrian climbs (and many are fine with that) and some stick stump pullers in. I've seen people swap in more powerful motor/ESC's into the 2m Radian, which is already verging on overpowered.
That's the guys I was reading about, complaining about the tail feathers distorting and wobbling and they are yanking the nose off the fuse with shear over power and expecting warranty.

Yes I agree, the original Radians had far more power than a glider really needs but that's what folks have come to expect these days.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:21 PM   #15
RAMJET
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
JR 12x
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 15

I have a new one in a box somewhere , what is it worth to you . been sitting there for 3-4 years . I don't know what version it is , if interested send me a pm , I don't know if it would be worth shipping ??
Old 09-12-2016, 07:13 AM   #16
1kenda
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Blake M

Total Props: 0

Ramjet

PM sent

Kenda
1kenda is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:57 AM   #17
1kenda
RCC Junior Contributor

Roger

Thanks for the Radian!

Blake
Old 09-13-2016, 09:45 AM   #18
RAMJET
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
JR 12x
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 15

No problem Blake . Nice talking to you the other day ,glad to see the poor thing going to a good home . No plane should be on a shelf for 4 years , to be honest I forgot I had the plane until I read your thread . Great thing about this hobby we all help each other out . What did you think of the big gassers ,next I will have to get you into one of those . cheers Roger
Old 09-13-2016, 10:12 AM   #19
1kenda
RCC Junior Contributor

Roger,

This Radian is mine, and I'm NOT selling it....LOL!
Those big gassers are amazing! Would love to see them in action someday.

Regards,
Blake
Old 09-13-2016, 06:50 PM   #20
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1kenda View Post
Roger,

This Radian is mine, and I'm NOT selling it....LOL!
Those big gassers are amazing! Would love to see them in action someday.

Regards,
Blake
Nice!!!

Glad to hear you got one back

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.