Learning to fly FPV - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Multi Rotor Discussion Tri's, Quad's, Hex'as and more. Discuss anything multi-rotor, including multi-rotor stabilization and FPV setups.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:56 AM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: W. B.

Total Props: 0
Learning to fly FPV

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am currently flying a lil Nano QX. I am still in the stability mode (with increased rates) but i can zip around my yard and obstacles pretty easily now. Once i go into agility i am finding it really hard to fly line of site (LoS). I tried using my controller with a simulator in FPV and holy crap is that 100x easier. i was able to take off auto level and use fairly high rates. It feels so much more natural to fly FPV. The idea was to fly the nano over the winter indoors and then in the spring build a FPV quad. My main question is am i doing myself a dis service by wanting to switch to FPV now when my LoS ( withno auto leveling) is not that great?

Thanks in advance for any info you might have.
sidix007 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:03 AM   #2
Thunder Chicken
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Nathan C
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 3
Re: Learning to fly FPV

Good day! I started with the QX as well, and could not seem to get the hang of it in agility mode. I also had a Blade mcpx heli, and I was just starting to be able to fly around beyond hovering with that when I decided to get a 250 racer quad. The quad was my first fpv, and there is defiantly a knack to it. I have tried to fly LOS in both rate and horizion modes. (cleanflight on a cc3d). I think you will be fine, as the nano is just so hard to see, and it goes so fast! The 250, with some LED's and different coloured props will be easier to fly in unassisted type of mode than the qx, I think! However I know the helicopter was a huge help for me to make the transition. Keep burning batteries and breaking props, you'll get it no prob!!
Thunder Chicken is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:47 PM   #3
RCC Noob
I am: Corbin L-P
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX6
# of RCs: 5

I'm currently running a Blade 350 QX, and I'm buying/building a few race quads. The one thing I can tell you right away is to make sure you get a decent FPV system, as that will make or break your racing experience. As for the switch to FPV, it's all being comfortable with the way you fly. If you know the rates at which your quad will pitch, roll, yaw, etc, without having an FPV system installed, then you will know the inputs you need to fly FPV (although you can get used to flying FPV first too, its your preference!)

But like "Thunder Chicken" said, burn some batteries, break some props, and youll get the hang of it!
CorbinLynchP is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:02 PM   #4
RCC Apprentice
I am: W. B.

Yeah i really wanna order some parts and try my hand at a 210mm FPV quad build and eventually get into some stunt flying, acro. Only problem is i have nowhere to fly bigger than a garage until next spring, winters here are nasty cold. I am fighting the urge to buy parts to early lol. I am starting to get the hang of the mini quad abit more, i am in acro mode so no self leveling.... and i have my rates and expo set to something i am comfortable with. Going to maybe convert this into FPV and get some goggles of some sort, we will see how much my wife lets me spend lol
sidix007 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:54 PM   #5
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

If you want to start economically, get a camera/TX combo like the one they sell from Horizon.

Then all you need is a multi-channel FPV groundstation recorder for 50 bucks and a 30$ 7" screen and you are all set to FPV.

I bought a couple of these little camera's and they are a scream! I put them in my micro fliers, as well as some larger planes. I also have one in one of my micro-quads. I get excellent picture and range. This is a pretty good way to start if you want to start flying FPV now and want to fly indoors.

..and yeah.. dont forget to buy extra props!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spmva1100_camera_fpv.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	1060282  
RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.