Mytmerc83
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Ryan T
Radio of choice:
DX8
# of RCs: 17

Total Props: 0
Aeroworks Yak 54 60-90 CG??

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
So on the weekend I did a little trading and picked up a brand new Yak 54, it's electric. I flew it once at the field and it's maybe had 6-7 flights in total on it. When I flew it the power is crazy but seemed a tad nose heavy to me, but when I read and follow the manual (which has a dumb way to measure CG) it comes out tail heavy every time. It does not fly tail heavy and I know CG is not set in stone but it should kinda be close? yes? no? The only reason I'm asking is it's very wing rocky on harriers and fly a little off, "GREAT" but a little off. I did watch the aeroworks video of this plane and their pilot seemed to have the same issues could it just be the plane?? I don't have the motor specs right now and it run full digital servos with a 20 amp bec. Just trying to get a balance point for the new batteries. Thanks
Mytmerc83 is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:25 PM   #2
ace7038
RCC Apprentice

I am: Amos F
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Re: Aeroworks Yak 54 60-90 CG??

Maybe not much help, but I have the same size of their extra 300 and it seems to fly very similar to the way you describe your model with regards to the cg
ace7038 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:29 PM   #3
Mytmerc83
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX8

I will get it up tonight again now that it's mine and see what I find. I'll start with the batteries all the way to the firewall and go from there.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:35 PM   #4
ace7038
RCC Apprentice

I am: Amos F
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

I have several aeroworks models and some of them are incredible flyers and some just aren't quite so great, whether it is the way they are put together or exactly what I don't know but they each have their own characteristics. Best of luck...much to dark here to fly tonight!
ace7038 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:32 PM   #5
Mytmerc83
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX8

Put it up. So here's the specs on mine. It runs a turnigy 5055-430kv motor a yep 80esc, 17x10 prop, digital servos all around, the rudder servo is moved to the tail for balance. Put the batteries (3S 2650mah X 2) all the way to the firewall. It's stupid fast. Lands very very fast. Will start to move the batteries back a 1/4" at a time. See if I can straight it out.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:23 AM   #6
Scrappy
RCC Contributor

I am: Alan H
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 3

While I don't have this plane I do have a 50cc TT TOC Yak 54 and I am at the rear of the suggested CG range and may move it a bit further back, Yak 54's from what I have heard from others like a neutral to slightly tail heavy (on the cg mid point) for best overall flight.

Mine requires very slight down elevator during inverted flight and is very neutral in an inverted 45 upline...and lands very slowly with this cg, much better than when I first started with a slightly nose heavy cg.

Adjusting the batteries 1/4" back at a time should get you where you like it!

Keep us posted!
Old 09-08-2016, 11:29 AM   #7
Mytmerc83
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX8

Thanks Alan, that's the funny part it balances out tail right now but the way it came in to land last night and the flight tells a different story. Nose heavy all the way. As I said it's time to start playing with it. The guy I picked it up from was flying with 3000mah batteries (heavier) and had them back aways. So I know I have room to go. It just wierd that manufactures CG would be that far out. I'll get it though, I'm kinda OCD with how my planes fly.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:59 PM   #8
Mytmerc83
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX8

Ok got another flight in tonight before the rain hit. Moved the batteries to the back of the battery box(further back), put very slight down aileron in and bam!!! Plane slows right down now. Going in the right direction did not have time to try anything crazy cause of the rain. It is a bit wing rocky on harriers so that's next to tackle.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:14 PM   #9
Mytmerc83
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX8

Update!!! I have had the chance to fly this plane several times now, I will say this it's a blast, it's fast but will slow down to land. The plane as far as I can tell just flys heavy, I've moved things around and have it flying sweet, inverted I can fly no elevator input it's as solid as a rock. I've put the cowl cover (the fake radial engine thing) on and that seems to have cleaned up the flight some, not as much air pouring into the front. The best part is I still have room to go up in prop pitch. I'm only pulling 60amps. I'm not going to change anything but I could.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:45 PM   #10
Mytmerc83
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX8

Amos thanks for your input, the guy that built this yak just picked up the extra 300 and is going to copy this build. I have more than a couple planes and this one is quickly moving up on the fly list. I now have it so it will knife edge perfectly very little aileron input. A lot of that has had to do with putting the cowl cover on. The big open hole on the front just make this plane do weird things. Can wait to fly again tonight!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.