RC Guys 1/3 Pitts S1 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2005, 03:42 PM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Bill H

Total Props: 1
RC Guys 1/3 Pitts S1

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Have you guys seen those RC Guys Pitts. Personally I like Pitts so this model inspires me. Having some insight into the amount of research that went into the developement of this beautiful and "LIGHT" model makes me wish that more ARFs were the product of passion and not profit. I think it's about 8lbs all up. I have a few designs of 1/3 scale Pitts. They are all 20lbs plus and up and for 2.4 to 4.8 cu in engines. I have long wanted a big Pitts that I could fly with big glow engine 1.20 or similar. This model is an S1. At 68" the wingspan it is 1/3 scale. There is another Pitts on the market at about the same span but it is a 28.5% S2A that some some marketing wizard thought would go over better if it were called an S1 rather than the dead scale S2A that it is.

My guess at 8lbs was optomistic. See more at rcguys.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pittss-1stwo003.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	6760  
My Dog lived to be walked.
ModelBuilder is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:17 AM   #2
Don M.

Total Props: 0
Your guess at 8 lbs. was veeeeeery optomistic, the web site says 11 - 13 lbs. I would guess that 13 lbs. MIGHT be possible with a very light motor and all the radio gear pushed way up to the front.

I had a 1/3 Byron Pitts one time that was built completely from very light foam, covered with a very light Econocote covering, had 1 aileron servo, 1 rudder servo, 1 elv. servo, 1 throttle servo, a geared .60 OS engine and weighed 14 lbs. I put a Q42 in it and it ended up at 16.5 lbs. 8 lbs. no way.
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:06 AM   #3
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Bill M

This plane was designed from Andy Shebers plans, it is a well built arf, due to weather conditions it hasn't flown yet, i am good friends with the designer and model builder is right, The Pitts aircraft is a passion of his, this plane is not a 3D plane, but should be a great flying plane, nice and light and very scale. when we do fly it i will post some video.
There is no such thing as too low
Team Yak
Team "M"
WildBill is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:26 AM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

From what I understand, the problem with the original Sheber Pitts was the weight of the plane....and, heavy engines!

It will be good to see how this new version flys after the Atkins treatment!
Ron Mattiuz

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:05 AM   #5
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Bill M

Believe it or not the original, (youwon't believe this!!) was flown on a fox.74!!, the guy who was in on this project has the original build article from the magazine, i couldn't believe it!!, no 3D there thats for sure!.
There is no such thing as too low
Team Yak
Team "M"
WildBill is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.