bbbair
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
Hitec
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 31
OS Surpass 70 Problem

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
OK Guys;

Here’s a question for you…

I have an OS 70 Surpass 4S – it works like a charm!

BUT – the Exhaust port is causing me some concerns…
The Exhaust pipe has loosened and detaches itself from the engine in flight – which causes me all sorts of problems.

I have been told that this is a known problem with this model … OK – so what is the solution?

I tend to lean to the basic approach. Which is to fill the void with JB weld and re-tap the Exhaust port.
Others have suggested a ‘Helix’ ring…

So – what is the ‘BEST’ solution to this problem?

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:23 PM   #2
williame3590
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: William A
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 62
Re: OS Surpass 70 Problem

Teflon tape works or a little high heat silicone on the threads.

Bill
Old 09-10-2016, 06:45 PM   #3
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 34

I have at least a dozen 4-strokes in service and many more run on the stand before storage. NONE have ever come loose.

The best way to ensure they remain tight is to clean any residue oil from both tube and head, thread the nut all the way down to the other end, bottom the tube completely, then back it out ONLY as much as needed to aim where you want. If you bottom the tube you can add quite a bit of grunt to the lock nut safely. If not full engagement that amount can tear the threads out of the head.

Only problem is if vibration has worn the threads to the point you cannot tighten the lock nut very snug without risk of further damage. If that's the case the teflon tape may help. You still have to lock that nut solid or it will work loose again.

DO NOT use any Loctite products. Most of the low strength will soften with heat and the ones that don't are permanent, meaning you will likely tear the threads out of the head upon removal.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:35 PM   #4
RAMJET
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
JR 12x
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 15

This was likely caused by the muffler not being tight enough at some point. you really need to crank those pipes tight on a 4 cycle ,but once the threads are damaged the only real fix is a new head and pipe. if the thread is the same on both ends of the header pipe you may try to put the muffler end of the threaded pipe into the head (some versions had a one piece pipe and muffler so this would not work) the other option would be to cut the pipe and put a metal flex pipe between the header pipe and muffler and strap the muffler to the plane (the weakened threads may be able to support just a header pipe without the weight of the muffler attached ) also check to make sure the prop is well balanced to prevent excessive vibrations.

actually this is not a common problem at all unless you don't tighten the lock nut correctly or like mentioned above don't get the header threaded in all the way. you could actually try red or green loctite but it would likely release at the running temps of the 4 cycle engine anyway . loctite is easily released with a bit of heat if service was needed (propane torch works well for this ) even permanent loctite will release no problem with a bit of heat and that is why this is not the best solution for this problem but it can't hurt to try . anyway good luck cheers Roger

Last edited by RAMJET; 09-10-2016 at 08:57 PM.
RAMJET is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:05 AM   #5
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13

The threads in this engine are a fine thread in a cast aluminum head making it very easy to strip the thread. The casting at that point is quite thin and over tightening actually broke a piece out of the casting on my engine. Your favourite high temp thread locker, epoxy aluminum, metal set or one of those is a better choice. Over tightening can cause permeant damage. Try cutting a 1/16" off the end of the pipe so the threads can catch what is left and use something to glue it in place.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:36 PM   #6
RAMJET
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
JR 12x
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 15

This engine was never intended to use thread locker nor is it necessary to use it if you tighten it correctly is what I was saying ,but they need to be pretty damn tight or they will come loose, it's not like there is a rash of os mufflers falling off LOL so most guys figure it out without busting the port. I can see using loctite if you have buggered the threads from not tightening it correctly in the first place . Obviously tightening something so much you are breaking parts would be no better then leaving it too loose .I guess the best Idea would be to get help from someone having success not guys breaking there ports off LOL..
Old 09-14-2016, 06:10 AM   #7
floyd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 5

I don't back off the header to line it up. I use aluminum washers from a coke can to line up my header. Or the aluminum spacers that come with the Saito straight pipes. I also use plumbers tape to tighten it up and keep it tight.
Cheers Floyd
floyd is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:30 AM   #8
hitechflyer
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Hank U.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ

Total Props: 9

I always retighten after a good warm up.
Never had a problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw97k...re=uploademail
hitechflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:53 PM   #9
bbbair
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
Hitec
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 31

All VERY good points guys.

BUT! The problem was caused by the use of a Cowl.

The Cowl would not fit on over the muffler pipe, so off came the pipe! On went the Cowl and then I had to wiggle the pipe and muffler into position and tighten as best I could through the cowl.

Needless to say I did not do a perfect job every time that I mounted the Muffler. This would be an 'OOPS' and a good lesson for all,

So.... Save an engine... NEVER USE A COWL!
Old 09-14-2016, 04:59 PM   #10
williame3590
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: William A
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 62

That's where the high heat silicone comes in Rob. Your situation is not at all uncommon.
Just make sure the silicone is fully cured prior to starting the engine.

Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.