RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 01-28-2005, 08:05 AM   #1
wise guy
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Beginner problems

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Does this happen at your field?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slow_service.gif
Views:	839
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	6879  
Wise Guy
Sun Parlor R/C club
Windsor Ont
wise guy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:25 AM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

That seems to be getting more common lately.

I know at our field, which is a 30 minute minimum drive for most of our instructors, which also equates to about $10 in gas, and wear and tear on the vehicle, it is understandable.
Other than personal satifaction in doing the job, there is nothing else to motivate today's instructors.
I once tried to have our club policy changed to re-imburse the regular instructors their club membership fee, ($70/yr) but was quickly voted down.
There was some concern that some instructors only attend instruction night a few times a year.
Here's a solution: Re-imburse the instructors a portion of their membership fee at a rate of, for example, $5 per instruction day attended.
(To a max of the total membership fee)
After all, when you join a club, usually membership cost includes your training. Why should the expense be on just a few, (the ones that do the work...the instructors!), shouldn't the whole club share this expense?

I know that we don't do it "for the money", but when it starts costing upwards of $100/year to help out regularly, nevermind the hours put in, it can cause motivation problems.

Just some food for thought!
Ron Mattiuz

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:41 AM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

At our field (Ajax) we have an organized training program so that doesn't happen; at least on student times.

Wed night 6-sundown and Saturday 9-1 are for students, we have regular instructors. Students put their pin on stick once they are ready (we have a pit crew to assist with that). The instructors take the pin from the bottom, fly with the student and then the student re-fuels and sticks their pin back on top of the stick and waits their next turn.

That way students know when they will be flying and the instructors know in advance which times they are going.

Depending on the number of students they would get 2-3 flights on wed and 3-5 flights on Sat.

We do have a lag period mid summer with vacations but that ended up us using 3 of our 4 available stones.

Now students can still fly outside of those periods but there is no guaranteed instructor that will take them up. This program was why I joined the Ajax club originally.

Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:05 PM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Peter H

I really like the way the Ajax club runs it's training program. I think the Whitby club which I belong to, should follow suit if possible.

hancop is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:06 PM   #5
Ed Smith

That picture could also be a picture of an instructer, who has spent many hours of his own flying time teaching, waiting for his protege to return to the hobby.

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:04 PM   #6
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Ed, I have to say thankyou for your comment. As the CFI I only missed four training days this past summer. IMAC took away those days but I did make sure other instructors would be there.

And not only I but other insturctors have had the experience of making the arrangements to go to the field for this time and have indeed sat there waiting for students to show up and then gone home with no one indeed showing up. As Ron said, it does take our time and money to do this which I am pleased to do because I do love this aspect of the hobby so! It is discouraging when you go home, still having to fork over the time and money but have accomplished nothing.

I am proud of our instructing team and of our novice program. Each one did what they could personally do to support or novice program. Others went above and beyond in their efforts to the great benefit of the students and the club as a whole. They all deserve a round of applause and I for one, see that they at least get that!

My greatest reward, and it all that I need or want, is the pride I get each time I have the provledge to hand out a new set of wings! To see the accomplishments of new pilots who had no idea how an airplane even worked when they started out and progressed to become a capable and safe RC pilot and a happy member of the club is one of the best rewards that an instructor could ask for!

And hopefully one day, they too will see the need to "Pay it forward" and take the reigns and become instructors themselves and pass on that which has willingly and generously been given to them!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:39 PM   #7
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
Ron, I really think your suggestion of a partial reimbursement is valid, or perhaps earn credits towards next year? That would be very nice if you instructed a couple of nights a week and knew your membership was paid in advance for next year.

Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:16 PM   #8
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Yes that would work fine Dave.
I have instructed for 8 yrs, 6 as CFI. I RARELY missed an instruction night. (until last year, when I became "part-time").
When my wife went back to working evenings after having a baby, I took the baby and playpen with me, and plunked her in, and taught all night. Often I was the only instructor there. I loved it, and truly enjoyed the feeling of satisfaction and pride when handing out wings.
I saw MANY instructors come and go, it's the rare person that will continue on over an extended time.
All I'm saying is that it would be more fair if "the many" paid a bit, instead of the substantial monetary and time expenditures of "the few".
It would not hurt the club to cough up a bit of a rebate each year for the instructors. They are the ones who are the life-breath of the club, without successful new trainees, the membership would soon dwindle, as that is where most of our members come from.
Ron Mattiuz

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:48 PM   #9
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dave

Intructors and the interaction with others at the flying field make memberships a must. Great work from a great bunch of guys.
4REDave is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:53 AM   #10
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
The problem with any kind of monetary reward for instructors is that there are usually some others in any club who give a lot of time free too,the field maintainance dudes for example,or the executive,or the newsletter editor etc do you pay them too?
I find many modellers a little tight when it comes to $,and a 5$ club dues increase can be the cause of great agitation.
The funny thing is that any R/C modeller has an an absolute minimum of $500 tied up in his passion and a $1000 engine wont turn heads at the average field these days.
MAAC hasnt raised its dues for ten years ( Which by the way is not good management in my opinion),and the inevitable is going to happen probably in 2006,and I can hear the screaming now
IMAA 27023
IMAC 3710
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.