Mounting Fuel Tanks - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2005, 02:14 PM   #11

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm going to have to have my wife raise my allowance She thought I was done with buying things (minus a new radio) for the project..
bweight is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:09 PM   #12
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
Originally Posted by bweight
She thought I was done with buying things for the project..
You thought she thought you were done. In reality SHE KNOWS! (But she'll still say "I thought you said you were done!")

Been there.
Done that.
Have the T shirt (and the scars)

Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:38 PM   #13
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Dave, your not out to lunch at all with the velcro idea. I use velcro to hold all my tanks in place, even in my larger models. Only difference is I use a large piece of velcro, one side is like tape with glue, just remove the paper and stick it to the bottom of the tank. Then use the opposite piece of velcro to stick down to the tank platform. First I use ca on the wood of the platform to assure the velcro stick very well.

I then I make a strap of velcro and wrap it around the whole tank and the platform to hold the whole assembly securely in place. If you still want to pack a bit of foam in there then thats fine too but I have never found the need to do that.

The velcro holds extremely well and allows easy removal of the whole assembly if need be in future. This assembly absorbes vibration very well too, so no tank foaming!

Quick and easy method of mounting a tank and has always worked great for me!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:25 PM   #14

Thanks for all the help guys.. It seems like the velcro way is the method I'm leaning too..

I hope to be done working on the wings in the next few nights so I'll be able to move onto mounting the tanks and finishing things off on the fuse..

Thanks again.
bweight is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:34 PM   #15
RCC Contributor
I am: Ed P.

I'll add my $.02. Whatever method you use using an adhesive, make sure it will hold good in the presence of oil. You will likely be using Wildcat 5% (with 23% OIL) and there WILL BE oil eventually in this area. As in another recent listing, the writer said to do it right the first time, because the second time is going to take a lot longer, especially with oil soaked wood.
When I scratch built a DF, I used an existing former & added another light weight former. I cut holes out of these formers about 1/4"-3/8" larger than the tank. I then installed pieces of fuel tubing around the perimeter, slid the tank into these formers & lightly silicone glued the tank. It is still possible to remove them for tubing changes.
I soon learned on this plane to make every part serve 2 purposes to keep weight down. In this case the additional formers increased rigidity & held the saddle tanks.
no such thing as too fast!
rcjetguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:48 PM   #16
Mike Biedul
RCC Junior Contributor

I've had pretty good luck fixing tanks in place with silicone. I haven't experienced fuel foaming that I know of, but I'm sure cured silicone has just about zero dampening effect. I do recall reading someplace that the gases coming off curing silicon attack electronics though, so I'm careful to let it cure a long time, at least until I can't smell that nasty toxic smell, before installing receiver and servos. Sorry to be so vague....I don't remember where I read that caution. -Mike
Mike Biedul is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.