Vehicle to Tow a trailer - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Aerobatics Scale Aerobatics/IMAC in Canada

Old 09-24-2016, 06:12 PM   #21
steven r
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Steven Ruxton
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14MZ
# of RCs: 8+

Total Props: 2
Re: Vehicle to Tow a trailer

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastrc View Post
You will have a hard time making up the extra cost of a diesel with the fuel savings unless you are towing all the time, & for a trailer this size it would be totally overkill. As was said anything with a V6 is fine & look into transmission cooler if your going any distance.

That said, if I was looking I would be very interested in the new colorado/canyon with the little 2.8 duramax diesel because I do haul a bigger trailer over longer distances. My Tacoma works great & by the time I'm ready to retire it I'm sure Toyota will also have a small diesel available.
I find you get a huge portion of the extra cost back in resale. Also I am driving a full size SUV with four wheel drive that uses less fuel than most midsize cars and tows my 6x12 cargo trailer like it is not even there. All for 10 cents a litre less than regular. I drive 50k a year so it really adds up. Having finally bought my first one I would buy another in a heartbeat. Mine has the Mercedes diesel though.
steven r is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:35 PM   #22
bigguy
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Ralph B

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Klenk View Post
Be careful with the new Fiat diesel Dodge is using. Heard horror stories. Do your research.
I talk to guys that own them . Most have had zero issues while one or two have had major problems.

Maac # 60449
bigguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:40 PM   #23
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Frank Klenk
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 18

Sounds good then.
MECA 4762
Frank Klenk is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:46 PM   #24
bigguy
RCC Master Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Klenk View Post
Sounds good then.
Thanks for the heads up Frank. You kind of confirmed my suspicions on that one.

Maac # 60449
Old 09-24-2016, 10:44 PM   #25
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Just like you I know of one or two that had major issues, engines had to be rebuilt.
MECA 4762
Old 09-25-2016, 10:08 AM   #26
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Ralph, fyi > http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2016/3/2...ilure-7732734/
MECA 4762
Old 09-25-2016, 05:48 PM   #27
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 59

We have an older Forester that has all the power in the world to tow a trailer, the limitation on it is an extremely soft suspension which seriously limits tongue weight. There are a number of 4 cyl vehicles out there that are quite capable of pulling that size of a trailer but you may have to change your expectations a bit. We have pulled several small trailers with VW's TDI. Acceleration is not exactly mind boggling but you would be amazed how well they hold speed on the hills and the bonus is the 60mpg you get going back and forth to work!
Personally I avoid automatic transmissions for towing trailers.

Last winter we were in South America and I was amazed to see all the 1/4 ton trucks there with diesels in them. Ford Rangers, Dodge Dakotas, Chevy S10s, VWs, Renaults Peugeots, Toyotas and Nissans all diesels, no gas ones! Ideal for what you are needing. Someone in their infinite wisdom has blocked the import of these sweet little all around great vehicles from the North American market in favour of the great gas guzzlers that are marketed here.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:49 PM   #28
cosmith
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Cory S
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 13

There are a ton of good suggestions here, and there isn't one right answer.

For what it's worth, I just got a 2016 Silverado Z71 with the 5.3L V8. I believe it's rated for around 9000lbs towing. But, what has me seriously impressed is the fuel economy. Drove it from the Waterloo area to Mississauga a couple weeks ago and the average fuel economy on the way out was 8.9L/100kms! That's not exactly normal, the 401 was slow moving, but none the less awesome for an extended cab 4x4 v8 pickup. I average about 10L/100kms on my 25km commute to work, which is about half 80km/h highway and half city.

I'm not much of a brand loyal guy, but for the most part Ford has been my go to truck. On this go I wasn't too keen on a small eco boost v6 which would only get the same or worse economy than a naturally aspirated v8. I'd also like to see how the paint holds up long term on the aluminum body...I've had vehicles with aluminum panels that started shedding paint after a few years. My understanding is that paint prep is really important for aluminum since it starts oxidizing on exposure to air.

I also considered the Dodge, but I know quite a few people now that have had major engine issues with the 5.7L Hemi and I've had way too many issues with Chrysler products in general in recent history. Couldn't spring for the EcoDiesel...especially when GM is getting such great fuel economy out of a well proven v8.

Can't really go wrong with a minivan or suv either if the priority is storage out of the weather. Nice thing with most minivans is that you can take one or two 50cc to 100cc class planes inside them when you don't want to haul the trailer.
cosmith is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:44 PM   #29
R Plante
RCC Contributor

I am: Randy P

Total Props: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmith View Post
There are a ton of good suggestions here, and there isn't one right answer.

For what it's worth, I just got a 2016 Silverado Z71 with the 5.3L V8. I believe it's rated for around 9000lbs towing. But, what has me seriously impressed is the fuel economy. Drove it from the Waterloo area to Mississauga a couple weeks ago and the average fuel economy on the way out was 8.9L/100kms! That's not exactly normal, the 401 was slow moving, but none the less awesome for an extended cab 4x4 v8 pickup. I average about 10L/100kms on my 25km commute to work, which is about half 80km/h highway and half city.

I'm not much of a brand loyal guy, but for the most part Ford has been my go to truck. On this go I wasn't too keen on a small eco boost v6 which would only get the same or worse economy than a naturally aspirated v8. I'd also like to see how the paint holds up long term on the aluminum body...I've had vehicles with aluminum panels that started shedding paint after a few years. My understanding is that paint prep is really important for aluminum since it starts oxidizing on exposure to air.

I also considered the Dodge, but I know quite a few people now that have had major engine issues with the 5.7L Hemi and I've had way too many issues with Chrysler products in general in recent history. Couldn't spring for the EcoDiesel...especially when GM is getting such great fuel economy out of a well proven v8.

Can't really go wrong with a minivan or suv either if the priority is storage out of the weather. Nice thing with most minivans is that you can take one or two 50cc to 100cc class planes inside them when you don't want to haul the trailer.
I'm driving an older gm 6.2 in a Denali pickup rated at 9300 towing and if you drive reasonable 115 kmh it will do 10.5 to 11per 100km very acceptable to me and it has been a trouble free motor so far
Towing a tandem cargo takes it upto15per 100 and a 7000lb27ft holiday trailer brings it down to 19per 100 but I don't tow much so I'm happy with it main tow is cargo trailer of planes to the field about 4 km
Old 09-27-2016, 12:22 AM   #30
bigguy
RCC Master Contributor

[quote=cosmith;3022817]There are a ton of good suggestions here, and there isn't one right answer.

Those are some good numbers.

Maac # 60449

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.